• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Billy Packer has passed away

CD opened my account at the on campus Wachovia my freshman year. I had no idea until my roommate's dad told me later that day. I guess he got that job after he finished his degree.

That situation, that WFU all time great basketball player Chatlie Davis was a clerk in the bank on the WFU campus, was part of Billy's fight with WFU athletics.

CD opened my account at the on campus Wachovia my freshman year. I had no idea until my roommate's dad told me later that day. I guess he got that job after he finished his degree.

Seems like a step down from the NBA. Good thing he had his Wake degree.

I only knew BP as an announcer and similar to ELC, he drove me crazy until he wasn’t there. I knew he had beef with Wake, but didn’t know the origins. My respect for him has gone way up. Glad Currie prioritized reconciliation with him and CD.

Seems like a step down from the NBA. Good thing he had his Wake degree.
Depending on when the Biff encounter with CD happened, Charlie Davis may or may not have had his degree. CD didnt get his Wake degree until 1990.

Watching Billy Packer call ACC games on Jefferson Pilot was my childhood. He was so observant. His voice so natural. He is just as much acc bball as is the tournament playing in greensboro.

Depending on when the Biff encounter with CD happened, Charlie Davis may or may not have had his degree. CD didnt get his Wake degree until 1990.
Ahh yeah, it was before that, so no degree.

Watching Billy Packer call ACC games on Jefferson Pilot was my childhood. He was so observant. His voice so natural. He is just as much acc bball as is the tournament playing in greensboro.
Billy and his broadcast partners set the standard of excellence for today's broadcasters. Pretty amazing for a guy who announced his first game because of a screw up.

Ahh yeah, it was before that, so no degree.
Because Charlie Davis didnt have his Wake degree, was working as a bank clerk and not at a high level in an athletic department was part of why Billy Packer was so upset with the Wake Athletics Administration and requested his removal from the WFU HOF.

That was Billy. I used to love watching Packer call the PPA.
We'd get our dad to rush home after church to watch the matches, which came on early Sunday afternoon. There was one player, don't recall his name, but his nickname was "The Tall Man From the Mountains". Loved the cheesy-ness of it: ; loud pants, wide belts, excited "gallery"etc.

We'd get our dad to rush home after church to watch the matches, which came on early Sunday afternoon. There was one player, don't recall his name, but his nickname was "The Tall Man From the Mountains". Loved the cheesy-ness of it: ; loud pants, wide belts, excited "gallery"etc.

Tommy Burleson ? That probably would have been near the beginning of Packer broadcasts.

Edit: My bad, I didn't realize you were talking about the Putt-Putt.

I used to love that too. I remember some of the players would actually wear golf spikes, wear visors and carry a towel. I would be like dude, it's freaking Putt-Putt!

Tommy Burleson played on the Professional Putters Association tour ?

Tommy Burleson played on the Pprofessional Putters Association tour ?

Yeah, he used one of those extra long putters like it was a regular putter. They kept them in the back room at Putt-Putt for the tall guys. Then one day Paul Azinger was playing Putt-Putt in Greensboro and they brought it out for him and he took it on the PGA tour and won until they outlawed it.

that course is exactly like the one I played on for my 10th birthday party. I remember my buddy Matt hit his first putt so hard, the ball went through holes 1-3, through the bushes, and into the parking lot. Good times.

Billy didn't say much once the putting started.

Billy and Hubie were always my favorite hoops color guys because they explained the action well and were never over the top.

Back