• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Birmingham Bowl, Deacs vs. Memphis Tigers

We tried soooo hard to blow that game. Up 30-28 with several chances to pull away and didn’t. Great drive by Newman and Bachman, then give up a huge pass play, but we got it done.

I love Clawson and 3 straight bowl wins is epic but offensive play calling in the second half (up by 2!!!) and the squib kick were extremely concerning. When they do let Newman be more aggressive he has delivered 2x in tough 2 minute situations for game winners.

We tried soooo hard to blow that game. Up 30-28 with several chances to pull away and didn’t. Great drive by Newman and Bachman, then give up a huge pass play, but we got it done.

Clawson gets it done!

I love Clawson and 3 straight bowl wins is epic but offensive play calling in the second half (up by 2!!!) and the squib kick were extremely concerning. When they do let Newman be more aggressive he has delivered 2x in tough 2 minute situations for game winners.

My guess is that Newman wins the confidence of the coaching staff this summer and they start opening up the playbook for him. It was awesome how Clawson ran over and gave him a few words in private before his game winning run.

What a game.

#NewmIn, just FYI.

Winning three of four to end the season nice. If Dortch is back, it will be interesting to see how good we will be.

So great to see so much happiness on these boards. It's not always easy to be a Deacs fan, so days like this are the best

The defensive turnaround was astounding. Felt like we could’ve slammed the door a number of times but offense stalled at the worst time.

BIRMINGHAM BOWL CHAMPS

Great to win an exciting game. But why do almost all coaches make such low percentage conservative calls???

Great throws and catches in the clutch so all good and fun.

So great to see so much happiness on these boards. It's not always easy to be a Deacs fan, so days like this are the best

the best.

Damn, that win feels good. What an end to the year. Wow.

My guess is that Newman wins the confidence of the coaching staff this summer and they start opening up the playbook for him. It was awesome how Clawson ran over and gave him a few words in private before his game winning run.

What a game.

#NewmIn, just FYI.

I hope so! He has potential to be very dangerous with experience. Makes some bad throws and takes some bad sacks occasionally but he should be able to tone that down.

Really like CLawon. He will be the next ND coach

Observations

Hartman is a better passer, throws a better deep ball, and sees the field faster, better runner, better read option QB

Newman is stronger, more durable, and plays big at end of games

Bachman big game

Special Teams why did we continue to kick to that return guy, why not kick out of end zone we have 2 grad transfers for that reason. Bachman let the ball bounce 4-5 times on punts costing us 50 plus yards . Special teams very hot and cold. Lots of made field goals and nice punt coverage. But, we did not play special teams smart.

Congrats Deac in Clawson we Trust

I think Newman’s deep ball is better and is a better runner.

Go Deacs!

Fun game to watch, good guys won, winning season. Seniors will be missed but excited to see what this team looks like next year.

Really like CLawon. He will be the next ND coach

Observations

Hartman is a better passer, throws a better deep ball, and sees the field faster, better runner, better read option QB

Newman is stronger, more durable, and plays big at end of games

Bachman big game

Special Teams why did we continue to kick to that return guy, why not kick out of end zone we have 2 grad transfers for that reason. Bachman let the ball bounce 4-5 times on punts costing us 50 plus yards . Special teams very hot and cold. Lots of made field goals and nice punt coverage. But, we did not play special teams smart.

Congrats Deac in Clawson we Trust

Better runner? No way

I think Newman’s deep ball is better and is a better runner.

Hartman is probably more consistent with his deep passes, Newman clearly sees the field better and runs the option better than Hartman. Not even close. Of course that’s also where you’d expect a true freshman to progress the most.

Hard to believe the Deacs win a game on a missed field goal with time expired. Lady luck was on their side. She probably liked the way the team responded down 28-10. Congratulations to all involved.

What a game.

#NewmIn, just FYI.

My only problem with Newman is the decisions he makes when he is rattled like the pick 6. But that will improve with experience

Nice to feel some Deacon Pride once again. Thank you, Team! Thank you, Coach!

Newman may have that “it” factor where he steps up when the pressure is really on. A small sample size so far proves that to be true so I hope it could be true over a season.

Hartman is also awesome and helped us get to this point. Love seeing Hinton contribute today.

This one is especially huge because it assured the winning season. Excellent for recruiting. Love seeing the guys rush the field.

Back