• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Birmingham Bowl, Deacs vs. Memphis Tigers

My only problem with Newman is the decisions he makes when he is rattled like the pick 6. But that will improve with experience

Hartman was, if anything, even worse in that respect this year. Of course, he is a true freshman and played much tougher defenses than Newman so I do give him the benefit of the doubt.

Will be enjoying this one all through the holidays.

Going to be very interesting to see who starts at QB next year. If Dortch comes back our WR group is going to be absolutely ridiculous.

I think Newman’s deep ball is better and is a better runner.

He missed two deep balls that should have been touchdowns. He does not seem to have touch on the long throws. He missed the tight end in the middle of the field wide open, and Surat on the sideline. Hartman does not miss those throws. Hartman’s ability to make quick decisions is Brees like. Newman holds the ball very long and does not seem to think vertically, except the last 1.5 minutes of a game.

Newman missed a couple throws for sure, also had multiple perfect balls that couldn’t have been thrown better.

I’m NewmIn, as well.

Anyone know when the team gets back?? Would love to be there to welcome them.

I wonder what bkf thinks about Clawson trying to make his fourth consecutive bowl game next year

This was a great team win! The Deacs responded in a huge way and I couldn’t be more proud of this team. Do we have a QB controversy, or is Newman the starter? Newman has a lot of Cam Newton in him which is both a positive and a negative. I believe the WR corps next year is going to be amazing. I love this team, and Clawson is a hell of a coach. Very proud of my Deacs today!

This was a great team win! The Deacs responded in a huge way and I couldn’t be more proud of this team. Do we have a QB controversy, or is Newman the starter? Newman has a lot of Cam Newton in him which is both a positive and a negative. I believe the WR corps next year is going to be amazing. I love this team, and Clawson is a hell of a coach. Very proud of my Deacs today!

:squint:

I don’t think there is any QB controversy. Newman wasn’t perfect , but wins at State, at Duke and the bowl game. He seems to have that “it” factor in crunch time and his size gives us something Hartman can’t. Hartman didn’t come close to getting us a win against good teams, not surprising he’s a true freshman. It’s Newman’s job to lose next year.

Nice game, Deacs! Way to get the ACC off to a +1 start this bowl season. As soon as the Memphis kicker drilled the FG on the penalty, I knew you would win. They never make two in a row.

Nice game, Deacs! Way to get the ACC off to a +1 start this bowl season. As soon as the Memphis kicker drilled the FG on the penalty, I knew you would win. They never make two in a row.

Didn’t he make on on the TO before the penalty?

I don’t think there is any QB controversy. Newman wasn’t perfect , but wins at State, at Duke and the bowl game. He seems to have that “it” factor in crunch time and his size gives us something Hartman can’t. Hartman didn’t come close to getting us a win against good teams, not surprising he’s a true freshman. It’s Newman’s job to lose next year.

Agreed. There are obviously some things Newman needs to clean up. Based on the sample size so far though, Newman is the guy I want. Not a knock on Hartman at all

Don’t understand the Newton “positive and negative” reference.

Newman’s played very well since being named the starter. Sometimes settles into throwing from his back foot, which hopefully the coaches will work on. Can improve his touch, which hopefully he will work on. He has led his team on some amazing drives under pressure. No need to compare him with a longtime NFL player. Let Newman be Newman.

My only problem with Newman is the decisions he makes when he is rattled like the pick 6. But that will improve with experience

It’s like you’ve forgotten Hartman.

Agreed. There are obviously some things Newman needs to clean up. Based on the sample size so far though, Newman is the guy I want. Not a knock on Hartman at all

Yeah no knock on Hartman. He can still be great for us, would love to see him play in 4 games or less next year and still have 3 seasons of eligibility.

Back