• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Birmingham Bowl, Deacs vs. Memphis Tigers

Memphis scoring their last touchdown was our only chance. Cannot believe they did not run the clock down and kick a chip shot field goal, with no time left on the clock. We got the ball back, down 4, with two timeouts, and the rest is history. Terrible clock management and strategy from Memphis.

The thought went through my mind, did we let them score, but the replay looked like we were trying on that play. I think you’re right though, Memphis could have left us no time.

We had 3 TOs. We were going to get the ball back with 1 minute plus regardless.

He missed two deep balls that should have been touchdowns. He does not seem to have touch on the long throws. He missed the tight end in the middle of the field wide open, and Surat on the sideline. Hartman does not miss those throws. Hartman’s ability to make quick decisions is Brees like. Newman holds the ball very long and does not seem to think vertically, except the last 1.5 minutes of a game.

Everyone agrees Hartman played great as you described against the terrible teams but against the good teams he did not make the quick Brees-like decisions and instead took plenty of sacks. I don't remember Hartman having any wins against good teams.

Everyone agrees not complicated that Hinton beat three good teams and Hartman beat zero good teams so there should not be any quarterback competition.

I did wonder if we let them score so we could get the ball back right away with all our TOs

saw memphis had a 98.2% after their last td.

underrated sequence from last drive was right after the long bachman catch, we hurried to the line and got the next play off real quick, where newman looked the defense off before tossing a fade to surratt in the end zone. thats nfl-type stuff right there.

also was looking through the PBP and remembered those two huge catches by hinton on the td drive when we really had our backs against the wall.

loved that sequence, very smart

Everyone agrees Hartman played great as you described against the terrible teams but against the good teams he did not make the quick Brees-like decisions and instead took plenty of sacks. I don't remember Hartman having any wins against good teams.

Everyone agrees not complicated that Hinton beat three good teams and Hartman beat zero good teams so there should not be any quarterback competition.

Everyone agrees that Newman, not Hinton, beat three good teams. Well, everyone except for you.

Dont blame bachman for not fielding all the punts. Their guy kicked several with a lot of backspin. Smart not to field those in traffic. You probably could nothing tell that on the tellie.

Last edited:
The thought went through my mind, did we let them score, but the replay looked like we were trying on that play. I think you’re right though, Memphis could have left us no time.

I said we should pull a belicheck (sp?) and let them score with 2:30 left.

Who would’ve been our back up QB today had we needed one?

Bachman made two of the most incredible, not to mention impactful, catches you’ll see with the layout TD against State and today’s near TD to put us in the go-ahead position today.

Bachman made two of the most incredible, not to mention impactful, catches you’ll see with the layout TD against State and today’s near TD to put us in the go-ahead position today.

also had a huge 28-yd reception on 4th and 4 on our opening drive

You could also say Hartman had the only bad loss as no way we should have dropped that egg after getting up 10-0. Granted Newman played some snaps near end but that was Hartman’s game and we struggled mightily on O after quick start.

Probably. I've been drinking Elijah Craig since halftime. I just know that when he made the first one, I knew he would miss when it mattered.

He did indeed. I told my daughter that a 73% kicker was certain to miss the 3rd attempted pressure packed kick as he was due for a miss after making first 2!

Is that Robert E Lee in the MVP trophy? Great game Deacs and #NewmIn. Great games by Jamie and Bachman. We are going to really miss Cam Glenn. He has been everywhere all year.

Back