• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Black Monday Coach & GM Watch

cville deac

Reaction score
Thought this deserved its own thread. Shurmur and Andy Reid are officially out in Cleveland and Philly. GM Smith fired in Jacksonville.

Probable other changes for either coaches or GMs in NYJ, Buffalo, KC, Oakland, SD, Phoenix. Possible changes in Chicago, Detroit, Carolina, Jax, Tenn. Of those, I really don't think Lovie Smith and Whisenhunt should lose their jobs. Lovie got Chicago to 10-6 with Cutler lying on his back, and it's not Whisenhunt's fault Arizona has no remotely competent QB on their roster. If Chicago can fix their OL in FA and the draft, and if Zona lands Vick in FA, I can see both of those situations turning around quickly.

Edited to add Tannenbaum fired in NYJ (good move), and Woody announced Sexy Rexy will remain as coach. Tannenbaum made some lousy personnel decisions and created cap problems that won't be fixed overnight, especially at QB. And Crennel was axed in KC with no decision made on Pioli as GM.

Last edited:
SD firing Norv is pretty much a done deal, from the way things are being reported. There should be a team meeting this morning and I assume they'll announce his departure at that time. AJ Smith is expected to get fired too. The new GM will likely come from inside; as for head coach..? I really have no idea.

Agree with you about Lovie.

Vick's not the answer for Arizona, or anybody else. He's too short, tends to throw sidearm, and just doesn't have the wheel to cover for it anymore.

Any chance some this momentum leaks over to college basketball?

Lovie got Chicago to 10-6 with Cutler lying on his back

You can't be serious. If this was his second or third season, maybe. But Lifeless Lovie has single-handedly ended the rivalry between the Bears and Packers and fucking missed the playoffs- for the 5th out of the last 6 seasons- after a 7-1 start. That is more significant than a 10-win season. Do you know how completely unacceptable it is for Bears fans to have to be in a position to hope the goddamned Packers win just to get Chicago into the playoffs? Fuck Smith. Send him packing. They canned Angelo last season and replaced him with new GM Emery. Since we can't rid ourselves of that 378 year old dried up prune of a bitch owner Virginia McCaskey, if you fire the GM and still miss the playoffs after starting 7-1, the coach is next to go. Besides, he's got one year left on his contract. If they don't fire him now, the Bears will be for shit next season. The Bears need a coach with a pulse and at least the appearance of having a clue. Shit, even Andy Reid would be better than Smith in those two capacities.

SD firing Norv is pretty much a done deal, from the way things are being reported. There should be a team meeting this morning and I assume they'll announce his departure at that time. AJ Smith is expected to get fired too. The new GM will likely come from inside; as for head coach..? I really have no idea.

Yeah, both Norv and Smith need to go. Look what the loss of VJax, Tomlinson and Sproles with inadequate replacements has done to Rivers' numbers.

My Ravens are expected to make a run at Norv for their vacant OC position. If not Norv, then maybe Shurmur or Whisenhunt.

You can't be serious. If this was his second or third season, maybe. But Lifeless Lovie has single-handedly ended the rivalry between the Bears and Packers and fucking missed the playoffs- for the 5th out of the last 6 seasons- after a 7-1 start. That is more significant than a 10-win season. Do you know how completely unacceptable it is for Bears fans to have to be in a position to hope the goddamned Packers win just to get Chicago into the playoffs? Fuck Smith. Send him packing. They canned Angelo last season and replaced him with new GM Emery. Since we can't rid ourselves of that 378 year old dried up prune of a bitch owner Virginia McCaskey, if you fire the GM and still miss the playoffs after starting 7-1, the coach is next to go. Besides, he's got one year left on his contract. If they don't fire him now, the Bears will be for shit next season. The Bears need a coach with a pulse and at least the appearance of having a clue. Shit, even Andy Reid would be better than Smith in those two capacities.

I'm an outsider, but I saw Angelo as the problem in Chicago. I thought Lovie did a credible job getting them to 10-6 given they had the 2nd worst OL in football. Repair the OL, and with their D, Forte, Cutler and Marshall, they're an instant contender.

Thought this deserved its own thread. Shurmur and Andy Reid are officially out in Cleveland and Philly. GM Smith fired in Jacksonville.

Probable other changes for either coaches or GMs in NYJ, Buffalo, KC, Oakland, SD, Phoenix. Possible changes in Chicago, Detroit, Carolina, Jax, Tenn. Of those, I really don't think Lovie Smith and Whisenhunt should lose their jobs. Lovie got Chicago to 10-6 with Cutler lying on his back, and it's not Whisenhunt's fault Arizona has no remotely competent QB on their roster. If Chicago can fix their OL in FA and the draft, and if Zona lands Vick in FA, I can see both of those situations turning around quickly.

Edited to add Tannenbaum fired in NYJ (good move), and Woody announced Sexy Rexy will remain as coach. Tannenbaum made some lousy personnel decisions and created cap problems that won't be fixed overnight, especially at QB. And Crennel was axed in KC with no decision made on Pioli as GM.

Seems like the same story every year.

Agree with you about Lovie.

Vick's not the answer for Arizona, or anybody else. He's too short, tends to throw sidearm, and just doesn't have the wheel to cover for it anymore.

I think you have to put Vick in the right situation to give him a chance to succeed. And with his rather diminutive stature, you know there is little chance of him playing 16 games. That said, I think the guy could have another 2-3 productive years left. He had the worst OL in football and got hit something like 155 times in 9 games. He played well in Philly 2 years ago and the early part of last year before the OL detiorated.

The other thing is, if you're a team looking for a QB, this is a lousy year to be looking. The FA market will be Vick and Fitzpatrick. Alex Smith is available via trade, but not inside the division to Zona. I don't think either Smith or Fitz are remotely close to being franchise QBs. Add that there is no sure thing in this year's draft. If I'm Zona, I'd make a run at Vick and maybe also draft 1 of the 2nd round QBs.

I'm an outsider, but I saw Angelo as the problem in Chicago. I thought Lovie did a credible job getting them to 10-6 given they had the 2nd worst OL in football. Repair the OL, and with their D, Forte, Cutler and Marshall, they're an instant contender.

Just google "fire lovie smith" and notice the list of sites calling for his firing starts with the Chicago Tribune. CBS' Chicago affiliate has an online poll currently at 75% in favor of firing his ass. Pining this on the OL is short-sighted. Again, this team started 7-1. Absolutely the OL sucks. What has the organization done to fix that in the last 4-5 years? Nothing. There are excuses for every coach in every sport. Bottom line, he hasn't gotten it done- and the Bears have certainly been a hell of a lot more forgiving and patient than Tampa Bay, Oakland, or just about any of the Florida teams. Christ, look at the Giants- they go an win two Super Bowls and people still bitch about Coughlin and Manning. And having to hope the Packers win...? Fuck that. Fire him.

Just google "fire lovie smith" and notice the list of sites calling for his firing starts with the Chicago Tribune. CBS' Chicago affiliate has an online poll currently at 75% in favor of firing his ass. Pining this on the OL is short-sighted. Again, this team started 7-1. Absolutely the OL sucks. What has the organization done to fix that in the last 4-5 years? Nothing. There are excuses for every coach in every sport. Bottom line, he hasn't gotten it done- and the Bears have certainly been a hell of a lot more forgiving and patient than Tampa Bay, Oakland, or just about any of the Florida teams. Christ, look at the Giants- they go an win two Super Bowls and people still bitch about Coughlin and Manning. And having to hope the Packers win...? Fuck that. Fire him.

Wow, no more coffee for you, 94 :)

Man, I'm a Wake and Bears fan. Want to talk some frustration? Yesterday was the tipping point. The scary thing is... I've never had a single cup of coffee in my life.

Reid has got to be gone.

Shurnur, Reid, Jags GM gone.

Last edited:
Per Adam Schefter "Whoa: Bears have sent out consent forms requesting permission to interview head-coaching candidates."

Chicago has sent out "request forms" to interview head coaching candidates.

Back