• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Black Monday Coach & GM Watch

Sean Jensen ‏@seankjensen
Text from an NFL assistant on #Bears vacancy: "What an awesome job to walk in to."

Yes they would. However, the Bears should believe they're a cut above those teams. 10 seasons, only 3 in the playoffs. Granted one was a Super Bowl and that was with... *LOL* Grossman. Of the list you cite, only Minnesota is a playoff team- thanks to Peterson (the MVP, IMO, just slightly over Manning). The Bears are doing exactly what the others in the list are doing: sitting at home again.

Agree on the rest, though.

Okay, you're regaining some sanity. But after 60 years in the QB wilderness, (yes, I will repeat that, 60 years), you should be thrilled to have Cutler. I'm a Ravens fan, and after our 10 years in the QB wilderness, I'm reasonably happy with Flacco, even with his limitations. The truth is there are only 6-7 truly elite QBs out there. Then there are another dozen or so guys like Cutler, Flacco, Romo and Freeman who are fine starting QBs with whom you can win depending on the surrounding cast. But you don't want to be 1 of those other 10-12 teams who don't have a legit QB, because then you have no chance - well, unless you have APete, and they're going down next week because Ponder ain't going to have the kind of game he had yesterday on the tundra.

Yeah, as a groundwork I agree and you're right. However, I'd like to see- just once- the Bears get a true franchise QB. A Manning (either of them), a Brady, hell even a Matt Ryan or any of the three rookies this year (Russell Wilson made the Bears secondary look blind and stoned). And yeah, there are usually 25-28 teams a year that would like to hit the QB lottery. I just don't want to see another Bears team get to the playoffs on the backs of the D with a Grossman under center again. And yes, Cutler >>>> Grossman. I'm just in clean house mode. I can't tell you how ill I felt last night realizing that we needed the Packers to win a game. I'd almost rather give a handjob to Kryzewski.

Okay, you're regaining some sanity. But after 60 years in the QB wilderness, (yes, I will repeat that, 60 years), you should be thrilled to have Cutler. I'm a Ravens fan, and after our 10 years in the QB wilderness, I'm reasonably happy with Flacco, even with his limitations. The truth is there are only 6-7 truly elite QBs out there. Then there are another dozen or so guys like Cutler, Flacco, Romo and Freeman who are fine starting QBs with whom you can win depending on the surrounding cast. But you don't want to be 1 of those other 10-12 teams who don't have a legit QB, because then you have no chance - well, unless you have APete, and they're going down next week because Ponder ain't going to have the kind of game he had yesterday on the tundra.
True about Ponder but never underestimate AP's ability to do something ridiculous. The team has been written off for 4 weeks in a row, would not surprise me to see them somehow ride AP to a victory (but I'm not expecting it).

Man, I'm a Wake and Bears fan. Want to talk some frustration? Yesterday was the tipping point. The scary thing is... I've never had a single cup of coffee in my life.

Try being a Wake and Miami Dolphins fan. Every day is a sports living hell.

There are 32 franchises. Of course, Cutler is a franchise QB.

And who was the one team that fucked up the perfect season for the Bears in '85? In truth, the Bears don't roll through the playoffs that year without that Dolphins loss. That shook off the complacency. Mercury Morris is still happy.

And who was the one team that fucked up the perfect season for the Bears in '85? In truth, the Bears don't roll through the playoffs that year without that Dolphins loss. That shook off the complacency. Mercury Morris is still happy.

So true. I actually own that game on dvd from 1985. Hell, as a Dolphins fan all we have left to talk about is Dan Marino, the game versus the Bear in 85 and the Perfect Season.

LOL! I watched that game not too long ago on YouTube (Dolphins fan). It's pretty much all I've got left as a sports fan, the past. Watching old clips.

Uh, you guys realize the Dolphins have more Super Bowl championships than the Bears, right? I mean, we're talking 40 years ago, but true still.

Not that many good QBs out there. Seems that the only "decent" option for anyone to upgrade is Alex Smith, but that depends on what the 49ers want to do with his contract for next year. I don't see the 2013 draft as the answer either, but I do expect to see people getting their hopes up for rookies after what's happened this year with Griffin, Luck and Wilson.

anyone here a bills fan? how can their gm keep his job after giving fitzpatrick all that money? what the story here

Not that many good QBs out there. Seems that the only "decent" option for anyone to upgrade is Alex Smith, but that depends on what the 49ers want to do with his contract for next year. I don't see the 2013 draft as the answer either, but I do expect to see people getting their hopes up for rookies after what's happened this year with Griffin, Luck and Wilson.

I don't think so. There are no sure things in the upcoming draft like RG3 & Luck were this past year. This is the list of QBs who are expected to go in the first 2-3 rounds: Smith, Barkley, Wilson, Murray, Nassib, Glennon, Bray & Dysert. 2 others are Landry Jones and EJ Manuel, who I think both will suck at the pro level. Which of those 8 guys are you going to bet your franchise on? I kinda liked Glennon when he was being considered a late 2nd to 3rd round pick. But now he may go in the 1st. If I'm a GM for 1 of the 10-12 teams without a franchise QB, I'm considering slitting my wrists. Smith is probably the QB who will go 1st (though not necessarily with the #1 overall pick), but I don't put him into the same category as Cam or RG3 for that same type of running QB.

anyone here a bills fan? how can their gm keep his job after giving fitzpatrick all that money? what the story here

Not a Bills fan, though I just emailed 1 of my friends who is a staunch Bills fan not to consider killing herself. Ralph Wilson is the owner, and it looks like Nix is being retained. Officer Barbrady says there is nothing to see there, and everyone should move along.

Speaking of which, I haven't seen any posts from Tuffalo. His friends should check on him.

There is now a piece on PFT that says Cleveland is looking for a coach first before a GM and probably looking at a coach where they'll give him final say over personnel. I guess they're doing that because it worked so well in Philly with Reid, in Denver with Shanahan and in Seattle with Holmgren.

In other news, Ravens, Steelers and Bengals fans just giggled a little bit and then felt bad afterwards for doing so.

Yep, my two teams as well. Even though I kind of liked what Philbin and Tannehill accomplished this year, since Marino we've had to endure Jay Fiedler, Ray Lucas, Brian Griese, AJ Feeley, Sage Rosenfels, Gus Frerotte, Joey Harrington, Daunte Culpepper, Cleo Lemon, Trent Green, John Beck, Chad Pennington, Chad Henne and Matt Moore.

Back