• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Blind special forces vet whips attacker

What kind of a low-life, POS attacks a blind person?

Kudos to Mr. Besaw. Lots of restraint on his part for not stomping the assailant's brains out and then siccing his seeing eye dog on what was left.

Sounded like the guy attacking him was a church crazy trying to cure him.

I think he needed a gun to protect himself though. Only way to be safe.

ETA: Jesus I went to look at the comments and this was one of them "I am soooo glad you were able to defend yourself and had the compassion not to hurt the little so and so. I probably would have just shot him. Thank you for your service to us and our country and God Bless"

What the fuck is wrong with people?

I think he needed a gun to protect himself though. Only way to be safe.

ETA: Jesus I went to look at the comments and this was one of them "I am soooo glad you were able to defend yourself and had the compassion not to hurt the little so and so. I probably would have just shot him. Thank you for your service to us and our country and God Bless"

What the fuck is wrong with people?

Maybe there is something the fuck wrong with me, but I'm not seeing much to criticize in this comment. Enlighten me.

You would have shot somebody who punched you? Elementary school must have been a dangerous time for your peers.

Shooting someone who punched you is not OK.

Agreed that shooting someone who simply punched you (edited to add: when you are able-bodied and capable of defending yourself) is not OK. That is not what happened here.

Mr. Besaw, who was blind, was being pummeled in the head by someone (whether insanely aggressive or with criminal motives, the result is the same) with no signs of letting up. I could understand (if he had had a firearm) Mr. Besaw shooting this guy in self-defense, just as I could understand someone confined to a wheelchair or otherwise with little means of escaping or fighting back on their own doing the same.

Last edited:

If someone is beating a blind man, then yes, the blind man shooting that person is definitely okay and should be encouraged (putting aside the issue of whether a blind guy should have a gun to begin with).

Am I the only person that thinks arming a blind person with a firearm would be a bad idea? THEY ARE FUCKING BLIND.

It is if you are blind - for all he knew the guy had a knife or a gun and would kill him any second... This ignores the fact that it would be kinda crazy for a blind guy to have a gun - but, the point is, a blind person wouldn't know that the attacker was "only" going to punch him - he would reasonably be in fear for his life and any counter-attack would be justified.

"I hip tossed him, went to the ground and choked him until the cops came."

BOSS

Yeah I think it's a great idea to give a blind guy a gun....how would he see what he was shooting at?

ETA: Am I missing something here? I mean I may be way off, but I can't see how it would possibly be a good idea for him to shoot a gun at someone.

Last edited:
There appear to be two issues being discussed here:

1) Whether a blind person being seriously beaten without provocation would be justified in using deadly force to protect himself; and

2) Whether blind people ought to carry guns.

I don't think anyone is seriously advocating that blind people ought to carry guns (given the obvious collateral damage that may result result).

However, as to the former, I personally don't have a problem at all with a blind person who is being punched repeatedly in the face and head by a thug (without provocation) using deadly force to protect himself (even in a situation where a sighted person might not be justified in using such force.) If you replace the use of a gun with a knife, hammer, baseball bat, etc., would anyone here disagree?

Back