• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Blind special forces vet whips attacker

No, I don't disagree that he should be able to use deadly force to protect himself when getting punched but I severely disagree with any notion that he should be able to shoot a gun in this case. I could be standing across the street and get shot by a blind guy trying to defend himself while that's pretty unlikely with a baseball bat. This is pretty much my stance on normal people needing to have guns for self-defense as well.

Seems like a blind person would be better off with a knife...

No, I don't disagree that he should be able to use deadly force to protect himself when getting punched but I severely disagree with any notion that he should be able to shoot a gun in this case. I could be standing across the street and get shot by a blind guy trying to defend himself while that's pretty unlikely with a baseball bat. This is pretty much my stance on normal people needing to have guns for self-defense as well.

I don't think there is much difference between our respective points of view.

I don't think so either which is why I'm curious about your response to my initial post on the thread.

I thought you were advocating that the blind person would not be justified in using deadly force to protect himself/herself, including a gun if for whatever strange reason they happened to have one.

No I was just saying that it's sad that this woman's reaction was "I would have just shot him" and was then thinking about how ridiculous it would be if he had had a gun in the first place since he's blind.

No I was just saying that it's sad that this woman's reaction was "I would have just shot him" and was then thinking about how ridiculous it would be if he had had a gun in the first place since he's blind.

Well, what if it was the woman that was being punched/attacked and she could not otherwise defend herself or stop the attack - no one is helping her and the attack continues.?. Of even if it is a man but he is unable to stop the attack? If the only option they have to defend themselves is deadly force (i.e. a gun) are they simply supposed to suffer the attack?
If you attack someone and are doing them physical harm, you should anticipate the possibility of deadly force in return.

Back