• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Board of Trustees question

Nope, didn't even graduate high school, guess I shouldn't be posting here. Can barely read or write, but I know a crappy basketball program when I see one and I find it hard to believe that the large donors at Wake continue to tolerate it.

That is all true and I have to believe the donors both large and small are going to have a hard time contributing to our pathetic athletic program in general. While they probably made a lot of good progress with getting the University of Notre Dame come here to play us in a football game that will be lost by next season after we suffer through this basketball season and face the prospects of bad baseball and a possible losing football season again next year. What will get our season football tickets at a decent level next season is that North Carolina come to our field. The people in blue will come out in mass and take over our stadium and probably even a lot of the Tower.

Baseball is looking up and football is in fine shape. It's just basketball that stinks right now.

That is all true and I have to believe the donors both large and small are going to have a hard time contributing to our pathetic athletic program in general. While they probably made a lot of good progress with getting the University of Notre Dame come here to play us in a football game that will be lost by next season after we suffer through this basketball season and face the prospects of bad baseball and a possible losing football season again next year. What will get our season football tickets at a decent level next season is that North Carolina come to our field. The people in blue will come out in mass and take over our stadium and probably even a lot of the Tower.

I know that we are hating on basketball in this thread, but I'm tired of hearing about how great it was to host Notre Dame this year when with a decent offensive coordinator and better game in-game coaching (oc and head coach) we could have actually WON that game.

It would be nice if we actually played some decent football in that impressive stadium we've built.

Now back to basketball.

5-7
3-9
6-7

Beat me to it. Football is woefully underperforming. I know, we always sucked in football, but times are different now. We have nice facilities, have some talent, and fan support has never been better. Grobe ought to send Bz a thank you card for how low the bar is for everyone now!

I do think we will be better in football next year.

You can point to continued success in smaller programs year in and year out, especially men/women's soccer and tennis. There's also the continuing facilities improvement (football, baseball, soccer, golf, tennis), and we've managed to retain most of our successful coaches, though we've lost some big ones (Zinn, many assistants in the big sports). Playing basketball in a huge off-campus arena doesn't help these "low points" in basketball look any better with the tiny crowds.

Clearly, though, what matters is the big ticket sports. Until we win the ACC again in one of the big sports, we are clearly in a big rut, and things need to be shaken up. A lot of the behind the scenes stuff mentioned in the last paragraph goes somewhat unappreciated when you fail to compete on a conference, much less a national level.

We went 5-3 in the ACC in football this past year. That's about the 5th or 6th time in the last 40 years we went over .500 in the ACC.

That's a good year for us, given our natural limitations.

To suggest that our football program is woefully underperforming if frankly laughable.

We've finished 1-5 the last three seasons. Our best seasons came without all the great facilities we have now.

Our schedules have been backloaded with our toughest games in 09 and 11. In 2010, we just stunk and it didn't matter.

We went 5-3 in the ACC in football this past year. That's about the 5th or 6th time in the last 40 years we went over .500 in the ACC.

That's a good year for us, given our natural limitations.

To suggest that our football program is woefully underperforming if frankly laughable.

What does the last 40 years have to do with this year? I admit that most of my ire is directed at Lobo, I think he does less with more every year. To the extent that Grobe supports him and is part of the offensive philosophy I blame him too. We were 5-3 because the ACC is garbage. "A good year for us" is a bullshit copout. We could have had two maybe three more wins this year with a better offensive coordinator and more aggressive coaching. To me that is underperforming. Could care less about what Wake football looked like in the 70s.

Our schedules have been backloaded with our toughest games in 09 and 11. In 2010, we just stunk and it didn't matter.

So we have trouble beating better teams at the end of the season. How is that a good thing?

Either way, our schedule in the last half the season throughout Grobe's tenure is pretty bad.

The only two coaches that have ever had sustained success at Wake in modern times were generally conservative offense coaches that prioritized not making mistakes, taking care of the football and controlling field position.

And the fans generally hated the playcalling for each.

Mackovic did have his one year of success with a more open offensive philosophy.

Last edited:
So we have trouble beating better teams at the end of the season. How is that a good thing?

Either way, our schedule in the last half the season throughout Grobe's tenure is pretty bad.

It's not good or bad. It means we were a middling ACC football team this year. Middling is better than the bad team we historically have been.

It's not good or bad. It means we were a middling ACC football team this year. Middling is better than the bad team we historically have been.

I think we have invested too much in that program to settle for "mediocrity is better than we used to be."

Ph-

What do you realistically expect from our football program on a yearly basis?

Rome wasn't built in a day. If WF fans though there would be no drop off after Riley left I really don't know what to say. Especially with the guy replacing him being a true freshman. The football program is in fine shape and I really don't see how you can argue otherwise. Before this season started everyone was looking forward to next season as the Deacs next possible run to an ACC Atlantic title and that almost happened this season.

Well, if you think we are going to a force in the ACC being a small private school that has inferior resources (even with our investments) to just about every other school that is overloaded with DI football programs in the conference in a state that has produced 2 ACC champions in the past 31 years, then you are destined for disappointment.

Do you think we invest more in our football program than Cow College or Clemson does? How about FSU?

Last edited:
I think we have invested too much in that program to settle for "mediocrity is better than we used to be."

One could argue that those improvements, in this day and age, were needed just to stay even keeled.

As I have said many times, I am not basing our success on history or on size/money of other programs. I understand the difficulties we work against and I don't think I'm being unrealistic. I never said anything about being a perennial powerhouse or chasing a natty. What I DID say is I BELIEVE our coaching philosophy limits our success. Grobe's game plan is conservative, relies on defense, special teams, field position. Grobe's success is attributable to a short stretch with ridiculous talent on defense and in the kicking game. I do not think that we will be able to rely on that moving forward. I think that we performed about as well as we could on defense and special team play was bad (kicking was decent, but not Swank-worthy). I also think that a better offensive coordinator could get more points on the board and kill some clock to boot.

So, moving forward with the same philosophy, I think we could keep being pretty mediocre. If you are happy with that, cool. I happen to think that we could be doing better with the very players that we have. That is my opinion, take it at that. As I said, I don't care about history or other programs. Instead I judge our success by our potential.

Just give me the damn pen!

I agree turd, need to mix it up on offense or Deacs will stay stale. I am still waiting for some one to tell me they know a big shot that chewed out wellman
Yesterday for the lame product that is being put out on the basketball court.

As I have said many times, I am not basing our success on history or on size/money of other programs. I understand the difficulties we work against and I don't think I'm being unrealistic. I never said anything about being a perennial powerhouse or chasing a natty. What I DID say is I BELIEVE our coaching philosophy limits our success. Grobe's game plan is conservative, relies on defense, special teams, field position. Grobe's success is attributable to a short stretch with ridiculous talent on defense and in the kicking game. I do not think that we will be able to rely on that moving forward. I think that we performed about as well as we could on defense and special team play was bad (kicking was decent, but not Swank-worthy). I also think that a better offensive coordinator could get more points on the board and kill some clock to boot.

So, moving forward with the same philosophy, I think we could keep being pretty mediocre. If you are happy with that, cool. I happen to think that we could be doing better with the very players that we have. That is my opinion, take it at that. As I said, I don't care about history or other programs. Instead I judge our success by our potential.

Back