• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bob Knight

Knight is my favorite colorman in the business, but it's for his analysis of what he's currently seeing. When he starts digging into facts like Kansas' deep bench (that is both super-shallow and a non-factor positively for them) or just some of the other random knowledge he says during broadcasts, it's not so great.

I think Knight does a great job as a colorman and really enjoy his insights. I do think he is a huge hypocrite who demanded his players act like "men" while being an immature, hot-headed baby himself.

FIFY.

Last edited:
Bob Knight would be a clusterfuck as a coach at Wake. The guy can't recruit anymore. Period.

Say what you want about Bob Knight, but man could he choke a guy.

Bob Knight could probably take the campus intramural champions and beat our varsity. He doesn't have to have the best talent in the world....and being in the ACC would do a lot of recruiting for him.

:werd: Go UNC!

All joking aside, bkf has just ruined the Bzzin argument that no one could win with this team with the very strong and supported argument above The great Bob Knight himself could win with a group of intramural champions. Imagine what he could do with the talent on our varsity team! Final 4 BABY! Choke on that Bzzinners!

Last edited:
I really enjoy Coach Knight's color commentary. He has forgotten more about basketball than Bzz will ever know.

Bob Knight could probably take the campus intramural champions and beat our varsity. He doesn't have to have the best talent in the world....and being in the ACC would do a lot of recruiting for him. Bob Knight could take his players and beat your players...........or he could take your players and beat his players. His system was the best way to play basketball.....ever. Some say that the game has "passed him by", but that's not true. He would be just as great a coach today as he was 30 years ago. The problem is that today you have a lot of selfish, hot-shot AAU-bred kids who have been told how great they were since the 9th grade who think they already know it all and won't listen & learn from a coach like Bob Knight.....and who are more interested in "being the man" and playing show-off, selfish basketball than they are of playing the fundamentally sound, team basketball that wins games. That is an indictment of players today, not of Bob Knight.

I would remind you that when Knight took the TT job in the spring of 2001, recruiting for the year had ended. TT was coming off of a 3-13 year in the Big 12 and only had four roster players returning. Not four starters....four total roster players. Knight took those four guys, a couple of leftover HS guys that nobody else wanted, a couple of JUCOs that he found at the last minute & a walk-on......and went 11-5 in the Big 12, won 22 games and made the NCAA Tournament....in his very first year there. And this wasn't in the heart of the basketball-crazy ACC....it was in Lubbock, Texas.... in the middle of mother-fucking nowhere.

So let's bring in Coach Knight, reopen our Lithuania pipeline (or just bring in some foreigners who haven't played AAU) and have the first undefeated season since 1976!!!!!!!

I'd love to hear Knight give a halftime speech to our team when we are being blown out for lack of rebounding, fighting through screens, or rotating on defense. That would be one fucking speech.

Today I learned that:

During the 1979 Pan American Games in San Juan, Puerto Rico, Knight was accused of assaulting a police officer while coaching the US Basketball team before a practice session. He was later convicted in absentia to a six-month jail sentence, but extradition efforts by the Puerto Rican government were not successful.[31]

Also...

Women's groups nationwide were outraged by Knight's comments during an April 1988 interview with Connie Chung in which he said, "I think that if rape is inevitable, relax and enjoy it."[33]

vt: as I posted on another thread that became a "Bob Knight is the greatest human evar!!!!1111! by bkf:

1976 — Upset over two turnovers in a Big Ten game, Knight grabs sophomore Jim Wisman by the jersey and jerks him into his seat.

1979 — Knight is charged and later convicted in absentia for hitting a policeman before practice at the Pan American Games in Puerto Rico.

1980 — Playfully fires a blank shot at a reporter. A week later, Knight and his wife take turns chiding an Assembly Hall crowd for not cheering enough during a game.

1981 — In Philadelphia for the Final Four, Knight gets into a shoving match with an LSU fan, who says the coach stuffed him into a garbage can.

1983 — Knight criticizes Big Ten officiating by standing at midcourt and cursing at Big Ten Commissioner Wayne Duke, who is in the press box.

1985 — Tosses a chair across the court during a game against Purdue, prompting his ejection and a one-game suspension.

1986 — Receives technical foul for shouting at the officials during a game against Illinois, then kicks a megaphone and admonishes Indiana cheerleaders for disrupting a free-throw attempt by Steve Alford.

1988 — In an NBC interview with Connie Chung, who asked how he handles stress, Knight says: "I think that if rape is inevitable, relax and enjoy it." He explains he was talking about something beyond one's control, not the act of rape.

1992 — Gives a mock whipping to Calbert Cheaney, a black player, during practice for the NCAA West Regional, offending several black leaders.

1993 — Is suspended for one game after a sideline tirade in a 101-82 victory over Notre Dame in which he screams at his player son, Pat, and kicks at him. When fans behind the Indiana bench boo, Knight turns and responds with an obscenity.

1994 — Head-butts Sherron Wilkerson while screaming at him on the bench but says it was unintentional. After the next game, the Hoosiers' home finale against Wisconsin, Knight takes the public address microphone and recites a profane verse directed at his critics.

1999 — Is investigated for possible battery after allegedly choking a man at a restaurant. The man reportedly confronted Knight as he was leaving, contending he heard Knight make a racist remark. Prosecutor refuses to file charges. Assistant Ron Felling is fired after Knight allegedly throws him out of a chair after hearing him criticize the program.

2000 — Is investigated in March by university after former player Neil Reed says Knight choked him at a practice in 1997. In May, Knight's suspended for three games, ordered to pay a $30,000 fine and barred from having physical contact with a player or university employee by IU President Myles Brand after an investigation found a pattern of inappropriate behavior. Is accused on Sept. 7 of grabbing a student by the arm, cursing and lecturing him about manners after the coach was addressed "Hey, Knight, what's up?" Three days later, Knight's fired for violating "zero-tolerance" policy and for what university President Myles Brand calls a "pattern of unacceptable behavior."

2003 — Launches into a profanity-filled tirade after an ESPN reporter asks about his relationship with former player Steve Alford, who also was participating in the interview. Alford's Iowa team was playing Texas Tech in Dallas. Knight later apologized.

Also...

Women's groups nationwide were outraged by Knight's comments during an April 1988 interview with Connie Chung in which he said, "I think that if rape is inevitable, relax and enjoy it."[33]

Imagine Knight as our head coach when the Today story broke.

Having actually met Knight when he spoke at the Hickory Sportsman's Club I can tell you that:

He also said that if you are a woman in trouble, you want me there because I will actually do something to stop the attempted rape.

He is pretty funny but completely no "bs" and has no patience for fools.

He is very loyal to friends and former players.

He helped Rick Barners be a better coach while he was coaching Texas Tech. He even attended a Texas practice during the season to give Rick help on how to run better practices. .

He didn't kill or choke anyone when several people referred to him as Bob or Bobby instead of Coach Knight.

He does not like or respect Calipari.

Back