• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Boehner Stepping Down at End of October

Listen to them and what?

Boehner was the epitome of old school DC crapola. One of the primary reasons he was torpedoed by his own faction was because he was never honest with them. He was always doing backroom deals, saying one thing and doing another. It wasn't a matter of simple disagreements. He was fundamentally dishonest. But he was that way because he was entrenched and arrogant and had the support of the old guard. Just very typical old school DC.

It is one of the reasons why I actually like Ted Cruz (as a Congressional hellraiser, not as a Presidential candidate). Not because of some of the crazy stuff he says, but because he shits all over the old guard. And not just a nice poopoo mcnugget kind of shit. Like smelly, splattery diarrhea shit.

Yep. Ol' John Boy will wait a decent interval, say, oh two months, and then get those mega dollars as a lobbyist or John Edwards-style "consultant" to Goldman Sachs or someone.

We should have a who hires Boehner and when pool.

But what should Boehner have done instead? Burn down the government like his base wants?

Boehner was the epitome of old school DC crapola. One of the primary reasons he was torpedoed by his own faction was because he was never honest with them. He was always doing backroom deals, saying one thing and doing another. It wasn't a matter of simple disagreements. He was fundamentally dishonest. But he was that way because he was entrenched and arrogant and had the support of the old guard. Just very typical old school DC.

It is one of the reasons why I actually like Ted Cruz (as a Congressional hellraiser, not as a Presidential candidate). Not because of some of the crazy stuff he says, but because he shits all over the old guard. And not just a nice poopoo mcnugget kind of shit. Like smelly, splattery diarrhea shit.

They had to shut down the government to clean it all up.

john boehner is "fundamentally dishonest" because he did "backroom deals"? lol, ok ELC:

110107_mr_smith_ap_605.jpg

"I'm going to bring real change to Washington"
- Every politician

But what should Boehner have done instead? Burn down the government like his base wants?

Nobody advocated burning down the government. There were some issues where withholding funding was the only course of action Congress had, which was well within the scope of their powers. In every instance, Boehner buckled. Every single time he blinked, and he did so behind closed doors.

john boehner is "fundamentally dishonest" because he did "backroom deals"? lol, ok ELC:

110107_mr_smith_ap_605.jpg

Because he told members of his party one thing and did another.

It's fucking hilarious seeing folks on the left already pining for the good ol' days of Boehner. That should tell you something right there.

i'm not pining for anything except a beer right now.

i just think it's LOL funny that the GOP is getting swallowed up by wingnuts and a few of you will defend it as not only inevitable but preferable like it's some kind of "cleaning house" moment.

Because he told members of his party one thing and did another.

It's fucking hilarious seeing folks on the left already pining for the good ol' days of Boehner. That should tell you something right there.

Nah, this fight for leadership will be fapworthy. This could potentially make 16 easy for Dems.

Literally almost every quote I read mentioned that while he didn't get along with people they always knew he wouldn't lie to them.

Nobody advocated burning down the government. There were some issues where withholding funding was the only course of action Congress had, which was well within the scope of their powers. In every instance, Boehner buckled. Every single time he blinked, and he did so behind closed doors.

Some issues like what? Repealing Obamacare or defunding Planned Parenthood in the face of a certain veto? Those aren't issues at all. They are pure political posturing

There are only around 40 hardcore Tea Party members in the House and while they can make Boehner or McCarthy miserable, they can't get their preferred leaders elected. There are even fewer Tea Party folks in the Senate. Cruz is far less popular in the Senate than McConnell. Cruz adds nothing as VP since he can't get anything passed. DeMint eventually quit since he was in the same position as Cruz is among his GOP colleagues.

I think the diagnosis about Boehner being in an impossible position is spot on.

At this juncture I think the GOP is beyond the point of no return - it's going to split. More of a "when" than "if" question at this point methinks.

I think the diagnosis about Boehner being in an impossible position is spot on.

At this juncture I think the GOP is beyond the point of no return - it's going to split. More of a "when" than "if" question at this point methinks.

And one of the crazies somehow winning the GOP nomination will certainly expedite the process by forcing out all of the moderate republicans.

Back