• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BofA Intern Dies After Working 3 Straight days

I knew a dude from law school who went to work at a big law firm in NYC after graduation and had a fucking heart attack as a 25-year-old one night while making a job-related Kinko's run or some such shit at like 4 am. He survived, and I think he scaled back to a more favorable lifestyle. There are bitchin' ways to go out (getting eaten by an escaped python, being decapitated on a snowmobile, etc), but dropping dead in your office is not one of them.

DRFEELGOOD03132.jpg

A buddy of mine went to work for a large NY firm straight out of law school. On his first day they sent him home at 3am in a cab. Might as well make sure there are no illusions about what to expect, I guess.

Last edited:
Why do people take jobs like this? They can't be paying enough $$$

Well, junior level bankers / consultants / etc get into it more for future comp / opportunities than anything else.

Entry level compensation is good, but often not worth what you give up.

Interns in these type of jobs actually make bank though because they are typically hourly and get OT, but the rate is typically close to what the full time position hourly rate would be if they only worked 40 hours per week. E.g., an internship for a position that would normally pay $75k / year would pay ~$36 / hour. So an 8 week internship with 70 hour work weeks comes out to almost $25k ((36*40)+(54*30))*8). Or $159,120 annualized.

I know my firm typically tries to make sure interns don't get a particularly high burn project, but I am not in banking (partly for this reason..also I don't find it at all interesting), although we do compete with them for talent.

The article is pretty inconsistent also. 14 hour work days aren't bad at all. In fact, I'd even say that's sustainable. It's when they turn into 17-18 hour days that things get rough. Or when they start bleeding into the weekends.

14 hour work days are sustainable my ass

Fuck that

Probably not with a family, but when you're single or maybe married with a spouse in a similar situation? Yeah, I'd say it's sustainable. At least for me it is.

Why do people take jobs like this? They can't be paying enough $$$

It's temporary for most. Between the signing bonus, salary, annual bonus, meals paid for because you're working all the time, and not spending money because you don't have time for a life, you can save up a bunch in 2-3 years. It looks good on the resume, and good bosses will help their people find another job at the end, since they're generally expected to leave after that time frame anyway.

It's still miserable, obviously.

Last edited:
Meh. You really want to hear about a bank doing somebody wrong?

I am sure this makes me some kind of disgusting, capitalist pig, but he died because of a health condition. Now seems likely the hours aggravated it, but it isn't on Bank of America to monitor his health.

It's no secret that banking involves long hours.

14 hour work days are sustainable my ass

Fuck that

My friend just made VP of her group at B of A, but she quit this summer because there is more work than ever and less reward. I didn't want her having a heart attack at 33 so I was in favor of it.

Back