• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Boston Marathon Bombing - Sgt McCarthy > PhDeac

Obama calls the attack an 'act of terror against civilians'

Everyone can calm down now - he used the word terror.

Report from police are that the bombs were inside 6L pressure cookers, placed inside black duffel bags...

Nesco-6-Liter-3-in-1-Digital-Pressure-Cooker.jpg

Okay fine, I'll change it for your benefit. I wouldn't be offended if they tackled the one Irish guy running from the bomb blast in London. Poke holes in that one, PC Mafia. Police detain and question people completely unrelated to crimes all of the time. And what usually happens - if the person had nothing to do with it then they are let go, which is exactly what happened here. It is a fact that if something blows up in a Western country, the Arab guy is going to be the first one to be blamed, regardless of whether or not he had anything to do with it. Want to avoid that presumption? Feel free to stop the Holy War that has been blowing shit up for centuries, nobody is stopping you. Until then, question and release away.

God you are a fucking moron. Islamic terror as we see it today started in 1979-- Iranian revolution, Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, Grand Mosque seizure in Saudi Arabia. You have a very small group of people engaging in Islamic terror. Lets overreact and label millions of people potential terrorists until proven otherwise. That is the America I want to live in!

the first WTC bombing?

Unabomber.

There are a lot of failures to: Underwear bomber, that SUV in times square back in 2010, the white supremacist in washington state etc.

I found this list of bombings prior to the ones already mentioned:

Nov. 7, 1983: A bomb blows a hole in a wall outside the Senate chamber at the Capitol in Washington. No one is hurt. Two leftist radicals plead guilty.

May 16, 1981: A bomb explodes in a men’s bathroom at the Pan Am terminal at New York’s Kennedy Airport, killing a man. A group calling itself the Puerto Rican Armed Resistance claims responsibility. No arrests are made.

Dec. 29, 1975: A bomb hidden in a locker explodes at the TWA terminal at New York’s LaGuardia Airport, killing 11 people and injuring 75. Palestinian, Puerto Rican and Croatian groups are suspected, but no arrests are made.

Jan. 29, 1975: The U.S. State Department building in Washington, D.C., is bombed by the Weather Underground. No one is killed.

Jan. 24, 1975: A bomb goes off at historic Fraunces Tavern in New York City, killing four people. It was one of 49 bombings attributed to the Puerto Rican nationalist group FALN between 1974 and 1977 in New York.

Jan. 27, 1972: A bomb wrecks the New York City office of impresario Sol Hurok, who had been booking Soviet artists. One person is killed and nine are injured, Hurok among them. A caller claiming to represent Soviet Jews claims responsibility, but no arrests are made.

March 1, 1971: The Senate wing of the U.S. Capitol Building in Washington, D.C., is bombed by the Weather Underground. No one is killed.

March 6, 1970: Three members of the revolutionary Weather Underground accidentally blow themselves up in their townhouse in New York City’s Greenwich Village while making bombs.

1951-56: George Metesky, a former Consolidated Edison employee with a grudge against the company, sets off a series of blasts at New York landmarks, including Grand Central station and Radio City Music Hall. No one is killed. Known as The Mad Bomber, Metesky spends 16 years in a mental hospital.

May 18, 1927: 45 people — 38 of them children — are killed when a school district treasurer, Andrew Kehoe, lines the Bath Consolidated School near Lansing, Mich., with hundreds of pounds of dynamite, and blows it up. Investigators say Kehoe, who also died in the blast, thought he would lose his farm because he couldn’t pay property taxes used to build the school.

Sept. 16, 1920: A bomb explodes in New York City’s Wall Street area, killing 40 and injuring hundreds. Authorities conclude it was the work of "anarchists" and come up with a list of suspects, but all flee to Russia.

Oct. 1, 1910: The Los Angeles Times building is dynamited during a labor dispute, killing 20 people. Two leaders of the ironworkers union plead guilty.

May 4, 1886: A bomb blast during a labor rally at Chicago’s Haymarket Square kills 11 people, including seven police officers, and injures more than 100. Eight "anarchists" are tried for inciting riot. Four are hanged, one commits suicide and three win pardons after seven years in prison.

Unabomber was a domestic terrorist, I'm confused at what you guys are trying to determine?

Oh, I misread it, I was looking for all domestic terrorist attacks that involved bombs and just came across that list of bombings (obviously not comprehensive) and found it interesting.

Seems to me this has the markings of domestic because there is a lack of a suicide. Seems like most domestic bombings are not suicide attacks and most foreign attacks are.

I just realized that I worked with the brother of the guy from Charlotte who was burned yesterday, whose wife is undergoing her second surgery today.

Seems to me this has the markings of domestic because there is a lack of a suicide. Seems like most domestic bombings are not suicide attacks and most foreign attacks are.

Good point.

Also, foreign attacks usually involve someone taking credit for the attack within hours.

Unabomber.

There are a lot of failures to: Underwear bomber, that SUV in times square back in 2010, the white supremacist in washington state etc.

I found this list of bombings prior to the ones already mentioned:

Nov. 7, 1983: A bomb blows a hole in a wall outside the Senate chamber at the Capitol in Washington. No one is hurt. Two leftist radicals plead guilty.

May 16, 1981: A bomb explodes in a men’s bathroom at the Pan Am terminal at New York’s Kennedy Airport, killing a man. A group calling itself the Puerto Rican Armed Resistance claims responsibility. No arrests are made.

Dec. 29, 1975: A bomb hidden in a locker explodes at the TWA terminal at New York’s LaGuardia Airport, killing 11 people and injuring 75. Palestinian, Puerto Rican and Croatian groups are suspected, but no arrests are made.

Jan. 29, 1975: The U.S. State Department building in Washington, D.C., is bombed by the Weather Underground. No one is killed.

Jan. 24, 1975: A bomb goes off at historic Fraunces Tavern in New York City, killing four people. It was one of 49 bombings attributed to the Puerto Rican nationalist group FALN between 1974 and 1977 in New York.

Jan. 27, 1972: A bomb wrecks the New York City office of impresario Sol Hurok, who had been booking Soviet artists. One person is killed and nine are injured, Hurok among them. A caller claiming to represent Soviet Jews claims responsibility, but no arrests are made.

March 1, 1971: The Senate wing of the U.S. Capitol Building in Washington, D.C., is bombed by the Weather Underground. No one is killed.

March 6, 1970: Three members of the revolutionary Weather Underground accidentally blow themselves up in their townhouse in New York City’s Greenwich Village while making bombs.

1951-56: George Metesky, a former Consolidated Edison employee with a grudge against the company, sets off a series of blasts at New York landmarks, including Grand Central station and Radio City Music Hall. No one is killed. Known as The Mad Bomber, Metesky spends 16 years in a mental hospital.

May 18, 1927: 45 people — 38 of them children — are killed when a school district treasurer, Andrew Kehoe, lines the Bath Consolidated School near Lansing, Mich., with hundreds of pounds of dynamite, and blows it up. Investigators say Kehoe, who also died in the blast, thought he would lose his farm because he couldn’t pay property taxes used to build the school.

Sept. 16, 1920: A bomb explodes in New York City’s Wall Street area, killing 40 and injuring hundreds. Authorities conclude it was the work of "anarchists" and come up with a list of suspects, but all flee to Russia.

Oct. 1, 1910: The Los Angeles Times building is dynamited during a labor dispute, killing 20 people. Two leaders of the ironworkers union plead guilty.

May 4, 1886: A bomb blast during a labor rally at Chicago’s Haymarket Square kills 11 people, including seven police officers, and injures more than 100. Eight "anarchists" are tried for inciting riot. Four are hanged, one commits suicide and three win pardons after seven years in prison.

Probably won't hear too much about those Weather Underground bombings. They tend to keep those on the down low.

Holy shit. I remember watching this episode a few weeks ago.

:eek:

I think it's pretty clear who the primary suspect is:

I found out late last night that three of my classmates were involved in yesterday's bombing. One was running the marathon, two others were there at the finish line to cheer her on. The one running went over to say hello to the two friends right before the finish line, then crossed the line and the bomb went off seconds later. The runner escaped without injury but the two friends at the finish line got hit. They are in the ICU with a fractured skull and broken leg but both are conscious and should be okay. Please keep them in your thoughts and prayers.

Just got back from walking around the perimeter of the crime scene. It was absolutely terrifying walking by the streets and stores you walk/drive by on a daily basis and seeing nothing but SWAT, military, cops, journalists, armored vehicles, and police dogs. The Starbucks on Boylston Street I usually study at is right in the middle of the crime scene. In area that is usually bustling with all types of people and sounds, it was dead quiet except for the sounds of responders and journalists doing their job. I walked through the Prudential Center to get a glimpse of Boylston street and there was nothing but littered debris, fallen trash cans and a Dunkin Donuts tent tipped over.

Someone just figuratively raped the neighborhood I love and reside in, in a way that will forever change how I think about the city and the most beloved Boston day of the year. And that person/persons nearly murdered three of my friends. Despite all of this, focus on the good. Focus on that google doc of thousands of Bostonians offering their place to displaced runners and fans. Focus on the police officers and strangers running towards the blast to help out. Focus your energy on the good people that either died or are injured. As messed up as this situation is, there are so many more good people in this world than evil. So fuck the evil one's - they will never get the last word and they most certainly don't get to win.

Well I bet Seth McFarlene feels like a douchebag this morning...

Back