• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Boston Marathon Bombing - Sgt McCarthy > PhDeac

The worst part was definitely the surgery part - I just wasn't expecting that.

Most of you posters are not old enough to remember, but this reminds me of the very tense on-foot manhunt for Lee Harvey Oswald in downtown Dallas following the assassination of JFK. Oswald encountered Officer Tibbetts and shot him dead on the street before taking refuge hiding in a theatre, where he was captured. We didn't have the same 24-hour news reporting at the time but we were quite aware of this scary unfolding situation and very apprehensive on behalf of our law enforcement guys. It was a relief when he was captured alive (we wanted answers!!!), but quite a shock when he himself was killed by Jack Ruby about 2 days later. We saw THAT on live tv.

Last edited:
Most of you posters are not old enough to remember, but this reminds me of the very tense on-foot manhunt for Lee Harvey Oswald in downtown Dallas following the assassination of JFK. Oswald encountered Office Tibbetts and shot him dead on the street before taking refuge hiding in a theatre, where he was captured. We didn't have the same 24-hour news reporting at the time but we were quite aware of this scary unfolding situation and very apprehensive on behalf of our law enforcement guys. It was a relief when he was captured alive (we wanted answers!!!), but quite a shock when he himself was killed by Jack Ruby about 2 days later. We saw THAT on live tv.

He was set up though. The meeting in the theater was tipped off, right?

in a meeting so no scanner, but I can see my monitor and they can't. scanner listeners keep me posted

yeah, if he were missing limbs or something it would have been worse. kind of looks like a zombie prop from a movie.

the picture of the young man with his legs blown off on Monday was much worse. Hope Mr. Taliban Wanna Be is enjoying his reception in the hereafter.

No reason to put the aunt on tv, she's in some denial phase right now.

he also has two needle thoracostomies on both sides of his chest if you looks closely. clearly had bilateral pneumothoraces almost certainly from gunshot wounds

? i don't get this line of thinking

In medical ethics classes it is hammered home over and over again about it doesn't matter who the person is, what they have done, it is you job as a doctor to preserve life to the best of your ability. In a situation like this where the doctors might be fully aware of who this person is and being a doctor in boston an emotional connection to all that has happened they were able to do their job

he also has two needle thoracostomies on both sides of his chest if you looks closely. clearly had bilateral pneumothoraces almost certainly from gunshot wounds

Yeah, I guess they were removing fluid from the chest cavity? First step before cutting him open to massage heart?

In medical ethics classes it is hammered home over and over again about it doesn't matter who the person is, what they have done, it is you job as a doctor to preserve life to the best of your ability. In a situation like this where the doctors might be fully aware of who this person is and being a doctor in boston an emotional connection to all that has happened they were able to do their job

no i totally agree with this; i don't understand his comment (which i assumed was saying "should've just let him die")

Back