• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Boston Marathon Bombing - Sgt McCarthy > PhDeac

In medical ethics classes it is hammered home over and over again about it doesn't matter who the person is, what they have done, it is you job as a doctor to preserve life to the best of your ability. In a situation like this where the doctors might be fully aware of who this person is and being a doctor in boston an emotional connection to all that has happened they were able to do their job

Seems to fly in the face of the god complex that doctors have.

Nothing to report on scanner. Some vehicles turned away or towed. Some folks wanting to get to their homes. One woman needed to get back to her lab to feed her animals but was denied. Officers getting switched out for rest and food.

Every now and then an officer will come on and tell another to call him on his cell. Have to wonder if that is how the real meat of this thing is being communicated.

he also has two needle thoracostomies on both sides of his chest if you looks closely. clearly had bilateral pneumothoraces almost certainly from gunshot wounds

Also if what was reported is true he blew himself up, or attempted to it could have come from blast trauma and not gunshot wounds. Anyways he got fucked up

of course they wanted to resuscitate him! oine, it's the doctors and medical staff's job to no matter what. two, and maybe more important, don't we all want this second guy brought in alive? like you want to question them and know why they did it and if anyone else is involved etc etc. might help someone else be brought to justice or help prevent future violence.

anyway yeah you don't just let 'bad guys' die on the OR table...

One thing I will say, take all of what the family is saying with a grain of salt, but they are not necessarily crazy. There are, believe it or not, places in the world where the government does set up people and such. That can make you extremely paranoid by default. I am not going to pay attention to anything they say, but at the same time I dont necessarily blame them. We live in an open and transparent society and take it for granted.

Also if what was reported is true he blew himself up, or attempted to it could have come from blast trauma and not gunshot wounds. Anyways he got fucked up

yeah true. i guess that one GSW looks like it would have gotten his left lung. all i know is that guy had bilateral pneumos which is NOT good for survival

joe mccarthy had his mic on and couldn't shut it off until he removed the batteries.

joe, man. joe.

no i totally agree with this; i don't understand his comment (which i assumed was saying "should've just let him die")

Oh I definitely would have let him live, the pain and suffering he would go through when he woke up would be way worse than death. Throw in a controlled pain killer regiment, obviously from the liver damage he sustained, and he would be wishing for death.

Yeah, I guess they were removing fluid from the chest cavity? First step before cutting him open to massage heart?

no. the needles are to remove air pressure that is causing the lung to collapse. have you ever seen Three Kings? they actually did a good job portraying it. look up "tension pneumothorax"

the needles are done in a pinch b/c it's super quick. the pressure builds up between the chest wall and the lung (there's a space between the two) which causes the lung to collapse. the needle opens that space up to atmospheric pressure allowing the lung to expand. the big incision is to actually grant surgical access to an area for a repair of some kind. but the needles arent for fluid

Last edited:
Is it possible the dead brother is the one running away from the bomb with his clothes tattered???

no. the needles are to remove air pressure that is causing the lung to collapse. have you ever seen Three Kings? they actually did a good job portraying it. look up "tension pneumothorax"

the needles are done in a pinch b/c it's super quick. the pressure builds up between the chest wall and the lung (there's a space between the two) which causes the lung to collapse. the needle opens that space up to atmospheric pressure allowing the lung to expand. the big incision is to actually grant surgical access to an area for a repair of some kind. but the needles arent for fluid

My guess is the needles were done by the medics. Its more of a field technique than the ER.

Back