• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Both parties are corrupt, and we are lemmings...

legacyfan

Reaction score
Please.

They both take away our freedoms and our properties. (Politically I lean left.) Both assure us that they want to do the best good for the most of us, and we continue to lose more and more. The Pubs are slicker, because they wrap it up in the flag. The Dems are more empathetic because they play on our emotions. (By the way this is why I think Romney will lose, he is terrible at using emotion. It's like watching R2D2 read Shakespeare for God's sake.)

Until this country goes to public funded elections, and does away with the two party system we will be faced with bad and worse.

Drunken rant over. Fire away.

AND: anyone who tells me that unfettered Liberterianism is the answer... you don't know history.

I saw what you did there! Well played sir! (Seriously, that was funny.)

Everything comes down to campaign finance reform. We have to address the cancer infecting the whole system.

Homer: This is a way to flush this killer out once and for all! And get drunk on a Tuesday.
Marge: Today's Tuesday and you've had six beers!
Homer: But i'm not drunk.

Self-interest wins every battle.

If a person or a group of people have some kind of power over other people, then sooner or later, and to a greater or lesser degree, they will abuse that power. The trick is to make sure that as little power over you as possible is ceded to anyone but you. That is the way you limit the damage done. You don't completely remove all ills, but you limit the damage overall to a minimum.

Sounds like DODO is the ultimate communist. In pure communism no one exerts power over anyone else.

Corrupt? I guess shovel ready really wasnt as shovel ready as he thought. Spending stimulus money on ad campaigns on cable shows that are kind to the admnistration. This type of nonsense just baffles me.

Once you accept that people who have power always eventually wind up abusing that power to benefit themselves and their friends, this type of nonsense doesn't baffle you at all. It would be more baffling to me if they did not do this sort of thing. If you can spend money forced out of other people to advertise for more power to force more money out of other people you sooner or later are going to do it. As long as you use some of that money to buy votes from people like RJ and bkf nobody is going to stop you.

If a person or a group of people have some kind of power over other people, then sooner or later, and to a greater or lesser degree, they will abuse that power. The trick is to make sure that as little power over you as possible is ceded to anyone but you. That is the way you limit the damage done. You don't completely remove all ills, but you limit the damage overall to a minimum.

+1

What he means is that the whole top part of his post actually only applies to Democrats or leftist politicians. And it will give him another chance to use the word "apparatchiks."

I deleted that part of his post in my reply btw.

As I've said for twenty years on Wake boards we need two things:

Public funding of elections
A third or even a fourth viable party

The American consciousness is incapable of processing anything more than option 1 or option 2. Make a critical remark about Democrats and someone automatically assumes you're a Republican and responds in kind. Or right-winger/left-winger. There is no middle ground. The conservatives on this board get all confused when I make a remark criticizing Obama. Or they accuse me of being a pinkocommielib when I point out some Republican's hypocrisy and pandering. It's all or nothing and while amusing, it really reinforces the idea that we just can't accept a third party.

As I've said for twenty years on Wake boards we need two things:

Public funding of elections
A third or even a fourth viable party

Campaign finance reform will remove the massive fiscal barrier, created by the two parties, that chokes out the possibility of other viable political parties. Right now, a third party can't hope to compete, monetarily, with the two established parties, which are really just two arms of the corporate ownership of American politics. Fix campaign finance, and new parties would sprout up like weeds, because effective competition of ideas would no longer be limited to the two groups that can afford to pay to play.

This isn't accidental, by the way. The system is intentionally designed to keep all possible reform within two tightly-controlled parties. Big business owns them both, so they simply control the degree of variation and own both outcomes. They allow some outlet for public backlash/frustration/feeling of control, but not so much as to threaten the integrity of the system as a whole. And the Citizens United decision is pretty much the last nail in the coffin, in terms of turning the government over to direct fiscal control by special interest business lobbies. It's one of the greatest political disasters of all time. But you won't be hearing that on the news any time soon. Big businesses own those outlets, too.

Last edited:
Campaign finance reform will remove the massive fiscal barrier, created by the two parties, that chokes out the possibility of other viable political parties. Right now, a third party can't hope to compete, monetarily, with the two established parties, which are really just two arms of the corporate ownership of American politics. Fix campaign finance, and new parties would sprout up like weeds, because effective competition of ideas would no longer be limited to the two groups that can afford to pay to play.

This isn't accidental, by the way. The system is intentionally designed to keep all possible reform within two tightly-controlled parties. Big business owns them both, so they simply control the degree of variation and own both outcomes. They allow some outlet for public backlash/frustration/feeling of control, but not so much as to threaten the integrity of the system as a whole. And the Citizens United decision is pretty much the last nail in the coffin, in terms of turning the government over to direct fiscal control by special interest business lobbies. It's one of the greatest political disasters of all time. But you won't be hearing that on the news any time soon. Big businesses own those outlets, too.

I already ate this campaign cycle and it is still August andyou make it sound like this is going to be the new normal.

Back