• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bowl projections

If the choices are playing in Detroit or Shreveport the day after Christmas or playing in Annapolis two days after, for the vast majority of the WF fan base, a December 27 game date within reasonable driving distance of a large segment of WF students, fans and/or alums, the Military Bowl is the best option. So, whatever the crowd WF pulls, the most fans will attend the Military Bowl. Not really sure what there is to bitch about for a 6-6 team.

Agree. Best of the realistic options. Nashville was a pipe dream.

BTW, I don't think we're going to a bowl next year. So if you're really into seeing Wake in a bowl, you'd better get it out of your system now.

Why do you say this? We lose some key defensive players (most notably at DT and Marquel Lee), but we have something like 9/11 starters back on offense. Plus, hopefully, a more stable QB situation injuries wise. Granted, as mediocre as our offense looked much of the season, having 9/11 back may not be a great thing.

Why do you say this? We lose some key defensive players (most notably at DT and Marquel Lee), but we have something like 9/11 starters back on offense. Plus, hopefully, a more stable QB situation injuries wise. Granted, as mediocre as our offense looked much of the season, having 9/11 back may not be a great thing.

Tougher schedule

Tougher schedule

Yeah, definitely this. We left ourselves no margin of error this year with an easier schedule. We might need an upset to make a bowl next year.

And getting 9 of 11 starters back on a horrible offense isn't good news. They just played 12 games and didn't show any improvement over the course of the year. We need new players on offense.

Is this right for next year's schedule?

HOME: Presbyterian, Utah State, Florida State, Louisville, NC State, Duke
AWAY: Appalachian State, Notre Dame, Boston College, Clemson, Syracuse, Georgia Tech

At 5-1, we all were feeling pretty good, but going 1-5 to end the season made it feel like we were a losing program. I can't blame the prevailing sentiment of "who cares " about our bowl prospects and our attendance.

If you struggle to score 20 offensive points in a game, you are going to have a hard time winning consistently.

We scored 20 or more points offensively once in our last 6 games. And that included getting really favorable field position on two drives.

Last edited:
Getting that Nashville game was amazing considering that it basically seemed out of the question after losing the last game of the season. Then about ten games went how we would have needed them to on that last Saturday and we still got it the invite.

I don't understand getting excited about 6-6 and playing in some shitty bowl.

But that's me

Is this right for next year's schedule?

HOME: Presbyterian, Utah State, Florida State, Louisville, NC State, Duke
AWAY: Appalachian State, Notre Dame, Boston College, Clemson, Syracuse, Georgia Tech

We should win these five. If we can't get one of BC, Cuse, or GT away, then we don't deserve to make a bowl anyway

^ I don't know that you can say we should beat State at home or App on the road. And I don't see another likely road win on that list except maybe BC.

^ I don't know that you can say we should beat State at home or App on the road. And I don't see another likely road win on that list except maybe BC.

Things will change in the off-season and as next year develops, but if WF played State at home today; WF would be a about a 3 point dog; the line would be similar at App. FWIW, WF would probably close to a pick or +1 at Cuse and BC.

Bottom line is that the schedule is tougher, and I think a reasonable over/under for the win total right now is 4.5. Last year, with a weaker schedule, it was 5.5. 6+ wins is doable in 2017 (maybe Notre Dame will further meltdown, they went 2-3 against the ACC this year), but WF will have to be improved to get there.

We should win these five. If we can't get one of BC, Cuse, or GT away, then we don't deserve to make a bowl anyway

We beat Presbyterian, Utah State, Duke, and Boston College. 4 wins. No bowl. We're not gonna beat App.

Yeah, I don't think we win at App either. I just don't see six wins on there. If you're being the biggest optimist, I guess you could go Presby, USU, NCSU, Duke, BC, Cuse.

We beat Presbyterian, Utah State, Duke, and Boston College. 4 wins. No bowl. We're not gonna beat App.

Let's not make App State out to be Alabama either. Playing at App is definitely not in the "unwinnable" game category. Their best win this year was Old Dominion. The self hate on this Board boggles my mind.

Let's not make App State out to be Alabama either. Playing at App is definitely not in the "unwinnable" game category. Their best win this year was Old Dominion. The self hate on this Board boggles my mind.

Doofus said they lose a bunch of seniors so maybe I'm wrong. If this current App team played us 10 times, I think we lose 7 of the games. They're certainly not Alabama, but they're better than us. Same goes for USF, Houston, Tulsa, and probably Temple. I think we can beat all of them, it's certainly not impossible, but I think it's unlikely. This Wake offense is downright atrocious.

It all depends on the offense. If we can get to mediocre level at least, then we could have a good team.

If we are running out Wolford next year, then probably looking at 3-4 wins.

There are a lot of very good teams that are not Power 5. I think we would have had an easier bowl game against one of the SEC teams we could have faced.

Back