• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bowl projections

IIRC, Harpring was more highly regarded as a HS QB, but he wanted to play basketball in college. Multi-sport stars often get under-recruited and under-valued because they don't have the same amount of time to spend in camps and showcases. To turn the subject back toward football, Clawson explained that was why Jessie Bates was under-recruited. He played football, basketball and baseball on high level in HS, and as a result, missed a bunch of the summer camps where recruits get rated.

That was probably part of it - if I remember he wasn't that great as a Junior in high school, but Marist went undefeated or almost undefeated his senior year and he won Mr. Basketball Georgia. No youtube back then, much easier to miss guys like him. Don't think he played AAU until his last year because of football.

Nice walk down memory lane in this thread. Tom Hammonds coached a team I played summer ball on - awesome guy and an experience I'll never forget. Plus I played against Matt Harpring - Marist was our #1 rival in high school. Not sure how that could be considered a last minute win for Cremins - I remember he basically said Harping probably wouldn't play, would essentially get a walk-on role, etc... Nobody believed Harpring was going to be able to play at the college level.

Cremins offered at the last minute and won the recruiting battle.

Harpring would have been a huge QB. Obviously back then QB basketball players weren't uncommon. The big one was Charlie Ward but Matt Blundin as well.

Cremins offered at the last minute and won the recruiting battle.

Harpring would have been a huge QB. Obviously back then QB basketball players weren't uncommon. The big one was Charlie Ward but Matt Blundin as well.

IIRC, we played GT during Timmy's last home game and Harpring stayed on the bench at halftime when Timmy was honored - out of respect for Timmy....

Tacy's teams winning the last 3 Big Four Tournament championships was huge as well.

It would have been if that had actually happened. Wake did win the final Big 4 in 1980. And won 3 in a row in the mid 70's (75, 76, 77). Wake won it more than any of the other schools.

A different ESPN writer has us in the Military Bowl:

College Football Playoff semifinal (Fiesta Bowl): Clemson Tigers*

Capital One Orange Bowl (vs SEC or Big Ten): Louisville Cardinals*

Buffalo Wild Wings Citrus Bowl (vs. SEC): Florida State Seminoles*

Russell Athletic Bowl (vs. Big 12): Pitt Panthers*

TaxSlayer Bowl (vs. SEC): Miami Hurricanes*

Belk Bowl (vs. SEC): Virginia Tech Hokies*

New Era Pinstripe Bowl (vs. Big Ten): North Carolina Tar Heels*

Hyundai Sun Bowl (vs. Pac-12): Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets*

Military Bowl presented by Northrop Grumman (vs. American): Wake Forest Demon Deacons*

Camping World Independence Bowl (vs. SEC): NC State Wolfpack

St. Petersburg Bowl (vs. American): Boston College Eagles

* Already secured bowl eligibility.

A different ESPN writer has us in the Military Bowl:

College Football Playoff semifinal (Fiesta Bowl): Clemson Tigers*

Capital One Orange Bowl (vs SEC or Big Ten): Louisville Cardinals*

Buffalo Wild Wings Citrus Bowl (vs. SEC): Florida State Seminoles*

Russell Athletic Bowl (vs. Big 12): Pitt Panthers*

TaxSlayer Bowl (vs. SEC): Miami Hurricanes*

Belk Bowl (vs. SEC): Virginia Tech Hokies*

New Era Pinstripe Bowl (vs. Big Ten): North Carolina Tar Heels*

Hyundai Sun Bowl (vs. Pac-12): Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets*

Military Bowl presented by Northrop Grumman (vs. American): Wake Forest Demon Deacons*

Camping World Independence Bowl (vs. SEC): NC State Wolfpack

St. Petersburg Bowl (vs. American): Boston College Eagles

* Already secured bowl eligibility.

This is done each week by the writers that are assigned to the ACC Blog. To find the match ups, go to the other P5 sites on the CFB Nation section of the ESPN NCAAFB site. Since the AAC section doesn't do this, we can't find who they think our opponent will be in the Military Bowl. I like the Sun Bowl match ups done by the two national writers. Utah and Wazzu would be great match ups.

Interesting ACC blogger order. Pitt probably deserves a top bowl with the caliber of teams they've played this year, but not sure it will happen.

Sun very well may come down to us and GT. The thinking has been the Sun won't invite GT since it would be their third trip in five years, but they haven't been since 2012 and pretty obviously are the better team than us. If they beat UGa on Saturday it might seal that we can't do better than Military, barring the Belk really wanting us

The Sun could be where we land. The teams that have gone before might think the drawbacks of going out there out weigh the benefits. Wellman might be going "OOH OOH ,PICK US". Would any of you go to the Military if we played Houston? USF on a cold day might help us too.

The Sun could be where we land. The teams that have gone before might think the drawbacks of going out there out weigh the benefits. Wellman might be going "OOH OOH ,PICK US". Would any of you go to the Military if we played Houston? USF on a cold day might help us too.

USF is the #7 offense. Houston is #21. Either would be a tough matchup. USF hasn't played any legit cold weather games this season so that would definitely help.

Nap Town is a hell of a lot better destination than Shreveport, though I don't necessarily want to see another triple option Academy run down our throats.

WSU or Utah would probably beat the crap out of us.

IIRC, we played GT during Timmy's last home game and Harpring stayed on the bench at halftime when Timmy was honored - out of respect for Timmy....

This is correct. That was a terrific game. As I recall Harpring was given a warm reception the last time he played in the Joel. A super classy guy. Wonder what he's up to these days?

Not only do you get to fly to Texas, but you also get cold weather!

Yeah.... People keep saying El Paso is warm...

snoooow.0.gif

Back