• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bowl Watch 2011

I don't care where we go as long as we do not play Air Force.

Agreed, but it does appear that Wake is trying to work things out to try to get to DC.

No we aren't. We are simply biding our time hoping the ACC gets 2 BCS slots and that we miraculously slide up to a better bowl.

There is simply no way we are trying to broker a swap with the DC bowl.

Good, let the Independence Bowl people disrespect us for the next 4 weeks and create lots of bulletin board material for our team. Lord knows after last Saturday our guys need something extra to get them motivated.

I dont think we should look at these bowl rules as mandatory. The rule that keeps us out of the Military Bowl can be waived by us, right? It seems to me that the bowls and the schools get together every year to barter for compelling match ups, maximazing revenue, etc.

If you agree with that, then it seems likely that the commentators are just trying to figure out how all the horse trading will shake out as opposed to them being ignorant of the "rules."

I have no real insight, but FWIW I have heard that some bigtime Wake folks have already made plans for travel to the Independence Bowl.

I dont think we should look at these bowl rules as mandatory. The rule that keeps us out of the Military Bowl can be waived by us, right? It seems to me that the bowls and the schools get together every year to barter for compelling match ups, maximazing revenue, etc.

If you agree with that, then it seems likely that the commentators are just trying to figure out how all the horse trading will shake out as opposed to them being ignorant of the "rules."

Are you daft? The ACC rule is there to protect us against exactly what you're advocating. What makes you think UNC-CH wants to go to Shreveport anyway?

Are you daft? The ACC rule is there to protect us against exactly what you're advocating. What makes you think UNC-CH wants to go to Shreveport anyway?

I've never been called "daft" before but I would have bet good money that the first time would be on an internet message board.

Clearly the rule is to protect us. No one disputes that. But if we don't want the protection, we can waive it. I don't have any inside information that we want X bowl over Y bowl or as to what UNC wants. But IF we want DC and they want Shreveport, the rule won't prohibit it from happening. Do you disagree with that?

I think that's kind of his point, make UNC go to what a lot of people feel is the less desirable bowl even though the Indy Bowl is a spot higher in the pecking order. Personally, I don't think it really matters between DC and Shreveport. I just hope we play well and win.

Shreveport pays $300,000 more per team than the Military Bowl. To a certain extent, this rule protects them and allows them to get a better team with better TV exposure in most cases.

The fact is that we do want the rule's protection. We don't want to set a precedent of doing an end rougn on the rules so that the big football schools and the bowls can put pressure on the ACC and us when they don't like the way the bowl scenarios are playing out.

And I don't even understand the argument for why the ACC would allow the rule to be broken anyway. Don't you think that the Military Bowl would rather have UNC-CH than Wake anyway? Chapel Hill is closer to DC and they have a bigger following and will get them some ratings. They're happy that they fell into their laps.

And there's no way that UNC-CH would rather have Shreveport. Actually, no one in the ACC wants Shreveport, including the ACC. It's a break-even financial deal at best and there's no way anyone is going to the game. The bowl flat out sucks. I'll also point out that UNC recruits pretty well in Virginia and ought to like the idea of a bowl game in that area, even though they're in the market for a new coach.

I've never been called "daft" before but I would have bet good money that the first time would be on an internet message board.

Clearly the rule is to protect us. No one disputes that. But if we don't want the protection, we can waive it. I don't have any inside information that we want X bowl over Y bowl or as to what UNC wants. But IF we want DC and they want Shreveport, the rule won't prohibit it from happening. Do you disagree with that?

Since he's already gutted out basketball future, Wellman might as well go ahead and gut our bowl future as well by stupidly agreeing to waive the rule.

We root like crazy for Clemson to beat VT in an incredible 3OT game.

The real issue seems to having any ACC tie-in with the Weedwacker bowl. While it's nice to be able to provide programming content for the TV folks, that's all this is. I can't imagine any ACC team ever taking many people to this game played the day after Christmas. For crying out loud, folks are begging for DC over this bowl.

At least this time I will not be guilted into buying bowl tickets to a game I won't attend to prove how well we travel.

The real issue seems to having any ACC tie-in with the Weedwacker bowl. While it's nice to be able to provide programming content for the TV folks, that's all this is. I can't imagine any ACC team ever taking many people to this game played the day after Christmas. For crying out loud, folks are begging for DC over this bowl.

At least this time I will not be guilted into buying bowl tickets to a game I won't attend to prove how well we travel.

At least it's better than the tie-in we had with the smurf turf bowl - cause the ACC needed to make major in roads in Idaho.

The Clemson team that was so helped by the refs in getting there? Yuck. Then again VT was helped too. I don't want Shreveport but I don't want a Clemson championship either.

It's going to take more than that for the ACC to get two teams in the BCS. I think we need a Houston loss to So Miss in the CUSA championship game as well. Even in that case I'm not sure the ACC gets two, as they'll still probably be ranked too high in the BCS poll to pass over.

Back