• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Boycott WFU Sports?

Isn't there a de facto boycott of the Joel going on right now? Most of my friends who were regulars don't go at all anymore. Really sad.

I'm not on a boycott, but I barely watch our football or basketball games on TV anymore, let alone making a 4-hour round trip.

This is my third season not buying season tickets. I had purchased season tickets the previous 8 years. I quit buying tickets because it was no longer fun to go to games.

Awesome idea. Everyone who is not going to games should boycott. To really send a message, quit going to games and quit posting for about 10 years. That will show Wellman. If you really want to rub it in buy a Sammy Watkins jersey. Rock on!

I'd never fully boycott WFU basketball but Buzz is pushing it. For the past few bball seasons I've enjoyed going to a game or two against BC/GT and watching a probable ACC home win. That's it.

Time for a trip down memory lane...

Jeff Teague LIED at the 4:55 mark. He said that was a great play that COACH GAUDIO drew up in the time out. Everybody KNOWS what a terrible Xs & Os coach he was!

But I was there and I will never forget how great that felt.

Last edited:
Jeff Teague LIED at the 4:55 mark. He said that was a great play that COACH GAUDIO drew up in the time out. Everybody KNOWS what a terrible Xs & Os coach he was!

But I was there and I will never forget how great that felt.

I posted this because it's easy to miss Skip... but now I miss Dino even more. Crazy talk!

From that video it looks like Coach K has aged quite a bit in the last few years. He looked pretty tired and old the other night against Kentucky (although his team looked just fine). Wonder how much longer he will go. Really hope they hand the job over to one of his minions with no HC experience.

Dino's a good guy and all but Skip was special. I didn't appreciate him until he was gone.

The last WFU basketball game I went to was the Guilford exhibition game, Bzzz's first.

It's always hard for me to go to a lot of basketball games due to my work, but i would usually make 4 or 5 a year.

Was working on an iPhone yesterday for a former WFU Football player. We talked a lot about the current state of the football program and the basketball program too.

Was an interesting chat, and sort of swayed my opinion on the athletic department.

1.) Wellman out. We need an AD who is willing to whip it out and hire competitive coaches, because WFU is a VERY attractive place to coach to some people. We could easily get more than we have.
2.) Most of the football staff (Mainly excluding Galloway and Him) need to go. Only somewhat includes Grobe. Grobe isn't the issue, its his ties with the other staff members that is. Lobo needs to get fired or accept a recruiting/lesser role. He is an excellent recruiter and parents love him, just a horrid playcaller.
3.) Wellman could save his job by making a fantastic football/basketball hire. But part of me wants him to get fired so a more competitive person will come in.
4.) If most of our hires weren't based off of former relationships, we'd be a very competitive school nationally.

The last WFU basketball game I went to was the Guilford exhibition game, Bzzz's first.

It's always hard for me to go to a lot of basketball games due to my work, but i would usually make 4 or 5 a year.

I haven't been in the Joel since we beat Clemson on Senior Day in Dino's last year. I would go to a game if someone gave me a free ticket, but I won't spend my own money on them. I've had Davidson season tickets since 2008, and those have been a much, much better investment (much better basketball, too--at least from the home team).

If anything, I find myself going to more fb and bb games now- tickets are just easier to get.

Glutton for punishment I guess, but I'd never boycott my beloved Deacs' games.

The current fan boycott is going well, making a big impact.

In college recruiting empty stadiums matter, sad but true, we will be paying for the empty seats long after Bzz is gone.

Trying to 'organize' Wake fans is like herding cats, even with a central figure like Bzz, after two years 'boycott games' is the what we come up with?

You didn't appreciate Skip until he was gone???

Skip was there when I was a freshman, I didn't know much about basketball (still don't) so I assumed every team had an awesome, charismatic coach. Little did I know that guys like Bzz exist.

Back