• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bracketology 2017

If you add up the records of Vandy's opponents, it equates to the second hardest schedule in the country.

Also known as how the committee evaluates a team's strength of schedule.

All this to be said I wouldn't be shocked if we got in over them. My main gripe is with the statement that this Vandy team being anywhere close to the bubble is somehow proof that this is a terrible bubble. A team with this profile would always be right on the bubble, and sometimes in the field depending on the particular year

Last edited:
Vandy really did schedule brilliantly with an eye to the RPI:

Chattanooga 19-12
Belmont 22-6
Bucknell 26-8
Norfolk State 16-15 (not a great record but they are 2nd best in the MEAC; guaranteed easy win and not an RPI killer like BC or LSU)
Tennessee State 17-13

A Power 5 school that has a shot at the NCAA tournament should go 5-0 against those teams every time.

I think Vandy played one team OOC that ended up with a losing record (High Point went 15-16) despite playing some obvious sure wins.

If you add up the records of Vandy's opponents, it equates to the second hardest schedule in the country.

Also known as how the committee evaluates a team's strength of schedule

Who cares about the other team's records? They play terrible teams.

SOS that puts the SEC teams above the B12, ACC and PAC 12 shows the disqualifying flaw with the system. it is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Vandy's OOC schedule is rated #34. Definitely tough, but not out of the ordinary tough (WF OOC was #45). Also, it's not just playing a tough OOC schedule that counts it's winning some games. Vandy's best 3 OOC wins are Belmont (#90), Chattanooga (#116) and Santa Clara (#128). Vandy lost to every decent OOC opponent (Marquette, Bucknell, MTSU, Dayton, Butler). None of those teams are top 20, and Vandy lost to them all.

I never understood the hate RJ generated on this board.

I'm starting to get it

Vandy's OOC schedule is rated #34

By who? Kenpom? I'm not saying that's a worse way to evaluate OOC schedule strength, but based on what the committee uses -- pure opponent record -- Vandy played the #2 non-conference SOS

The problem is how the SOS is compiled. RJ is right, it's a BS way to inflate your SOS to schedule teams who win a lot in their own conference, but are essentially guarantee victories.

That being said, it's how teams are judged, and Vandy played the system perfectly. Do I think they deserve to be in the Tournament? Absolutely not, but given the way teams are judged and the criteria set forth, they are right there.

The whole system needs to be overhauled with better implementation of statistics to get the best teams in there.

So we should be rooting for a Louisville vs. Virginia Tech final in the ACC tournament?

I mean they did play a crazy tough sched and won @ Florida and Arkansas.

Don't think it's a particularly weak bubble, to be honest, if a team with 6 RPI Top 50 wins like Syracuse might get left at home

I mean, it is a weak bubble.

Syracuse is 4-4 against RPI 101-200 teams and has a 200+ loss.

Just about every year that is a killer.

The problem is how the SOS is compiled. RJ is right, it's a BS way to inflate your SOS to schedule teams who win a lot in their own conference, but are essentially guarantee victories.

That being said, it's how teams are judged, and Vandy played the system perfectly. Do I think they deserve to be in the Tournament? Absolutely not, but given the way teams are judged and the criteria set forth, they are right there.

The whole system needs to be overhauled with better implementation of statistics to get the best teams in there.

It won't matter how they implement a system that has such fatal flaws as SOS does. Unless you throw it away and start over, it will harm any ratings.

Vandy allegedly has the toughest schedule (which is utter crap) and Miami is #45 according to RPI. Let's look:

Each played Iowa State
Miami played UNC twice vs. V- playing KY -twice -slight advantage to Miami
Miami played UVA and FL /Vandy FLtwice slight advantage Vandy
miami played Dule twice -V played ARK twice big advantage Miami
Miami played L'ville Vandy played Butler - wash
Miami played FL V- played MN much tougher for Miami
Miami played ND - Vandy played Marquette -tougher for Miami

The rest of the ACC is better than the rest of the SEC.

There's no way Miami should be #45 and Vandy #1.

wsc8521s, I'm sorry I'm using real logic and data.

I mean, it is a weak bubble

Each of the last two years, at least one major conference team made the field with 2 or fewer RPI Top 50 wins.

No team with 2 or fewer RPI Top 50 wins is making the tourney this year

a weak bubble. blah blah blah. the bubbles are always weak. when was the last strong bubble?

I guess wsc8521s deleted his ridiculous post.

I used RPI's ranking of the SOS of Vandy vs. Miami. I used their numbers and posted the schedules of the two teams that had such a huge variance by RPI's SOS rankings.

Come on, you can do it. Look at the actual teams they played. You know which is right.

The rest of the ACC is better than the rest of the SEC.

There's no way Miami should be #45 and Vandy #1

Miami's conference schedule IS rated higher than Vandy's, by pure opponent record. The difference is Vandy's non-conference schedule was #2, while Miami's was 268th.

All games -- not just the ones starting in conference play -- count towards SOS rating.

Not gonna argue there isn't possibly a better way to do this, but the righteous indignation about Vandy being anywhere near the bubble is misplaced.

ESPECIALLY since we benefit from the very same thing. The committee's numbers rate our non-conference schedule as 15th, while Kenpom rates it 45th

Back