• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Brad Stevens to Celtics

He will need a staff. I know where he can get an assistant with NBA experience and a lot of NBA "references"...

Insane. Totally didn't see this coming.

If the C's totally blow it up and trade Rondo (which seems like the move after this), they're going to have, like, five picks next year. So he'll basically be coaching a college team. Maybe it's not a bad an idea after all.

I was literally slack jawed when I saw this on ESPN. couple thoughts. No way he could turn an opportunity like this down, very slim chance this works out, doubt he gets fired, bet he up and quits and takes over duke in 3 years. I think he could coach in the NBA but this is a complete shit show to walk into right now and I don't think it will get better anytime soon.

Fakesportscenter tweeted: "Imagine what Brad Stevens can do with black guys!"

The contract is for six....did anyone hear the $$?

I've always likened NBA coaches to the referees in fake wrestlin' - they need to be there as part of the act but they have absolutely no effect.
I see him gone in 2, take a year off, and then back to college.

Has any college coach successfully made the jump to the NBA?

Larry Brown, but it's not like he "came up" in college.

I've always likened NBA coaches to the referees in fake wrestlin' - they need to be there as part of the act but they have absolutely no effect.
I see him gone in 2, take a year off, and then back to college.

Has any college coach successfully made the jump to the NBA?

Popovich coached college basketball for 15 years.

I don't think that's really what he was talking about.

I know, but people cherry pick the high profile examples. There is no reason that college coaches can't be successful in the pros. It is a different skillset, sure, but good coaching is good coaching. Success in college doesn't my necessarily require good coaching though, just the ability to impress teenagers.

He's a great teacher, he's a great x's and o's guy and he'll be willing to shepherd a young team through some rough growing pains the next few years - gotta say, I think it's a very good hire. Outside the box, but very good.

A great college coach does nt necessarily make a good NBA coach.

A great college coach does nt necessarily make a good NBA coach.

A great college coach is not necessarily a great coach. Good recruiters and talent evaluators can and often are wildly successful in college basketball.

Back