• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Breaking Bad - Final Season - SEASON 5 (Part II) Premieres Aug. 11

Hank getting killed would be akin to the final couple of episodes of Deadwood when Hearst starts killing beloved characters, ugh, that makes my stomach hurt.

I think Walt kills Mike and saves Hank. Then Hank knows Walt is the guy, but realizes his career would be over and Walt saved his life so he can't bust him. Walt might have to threaten him with the embarrassment of the wire tap and surveillance...

Possibly. I would be shocked if Mike and Hank both survived the whole season, but I see Mike dying before Hank. Todd will likely play a role in Mike's death.

Was anyone else a little irked that for some reason Walt needed 1000 Gallons exactly of the Methylamine?...like why not cut it at 900 when the engineers were getting into the cab of the train?

I tried to skim through the posts here w/o spoiling the rest of the episode for myself, so I apologize if this has already been discussed.

I'm caught up in something dealing with the Methylamine which looks like its going to be a huge plot point.

They said they were taking 4% of the Methylamine from the railroad tanker. Assuming 1,000 gallons was 4%, that would mean the railroad tanker would have been carrying 25,000 gallons of Methylamine. The interwebz tell me this part is completely feasible (first answer I found about avg. train car liquid capacity was between 16k and 30k gallons).

What I'm totally miffed about is the fact that Jessee & Mike found a (local) buyer in a matter of a day to sell their respective 333.33 gallon shares of the Methylamine at $5,000,000 a piece.

At that rate, the single railroad tanker (which was placed in the middle of a train operated by 2 younger/gruff-engineer guys with no type of security on board or surveillance system, despite the known 'black spots' on the route) was carrying a payload with a(n) (illegal) street-value of at least $375,000,000.00. Maybe I'm just ignorant, but that is totally unrealistic, right?

Even more mind-boggling is the fact that the Methylamine seems to be +95% of the production costs and troubles of Walt's Meth, and Walt has already calculated that the 1,000 gallon heist would result in $300,000,000 of revenue. If that's the case... If somebody could obtain a single railroad tanker of Methylamine, they would have the ability to produce ~$7.5 BILLION worth of Meth with minimal costs for the other materials needed.

With one train car of that stuff, you would have the means necessary to generate more than the GDP of 65 different countries in 2012. Can somebody else chime in and hopefully tell me I'm not crazy to think that its completely insane to think that a product with that much (illegal) value would be transported in the way the show has depicted?

The product placement has been over-the-top a few times this season. I was hoping that would mean we'd get to see some really cool explosions or special effects but outside of the magnet truck, I've been disappointed.

What doesn't make sense to me is why someone can't just synthesize methylamine for less than 15K/gallon of an aqueous solution.....especially if you're going to spend 15 Mill on 1000 gallons. Put together a lab to synthesize it from other things that aren't so regulated and are easier to get.

I tried to skim through the posts here w/o spoiling the rest of the episode for myself, so I apologize if this has already been discussed.

I'm caught up in something dealing with the Methylamine which looks like its going to be a huge plot point.

They said they were taking 4% of the Methylamine from the railroad tanker. Assuming 1,000 gallons was 4%, that would mean the railroad tanker would have been carrying 25,000 gallons of Methylamine. The interwebz tell me this part is completely feasible (first answer I found about avg. train car liquid capacity was between 16k and 30k gallons).

What I'm totally miffed about is the fact that Jessee & Mike found a (local) buyer in a matter of a day to sell their respective 333.33 gallon shares of the Methylamine at $5,000,000 a piece.

At that rate, the single railroad tanker (which was placed in the middle of a train operated by 2 younger/gruff-engineer guys with no type of security on board or surveillance system, despite the known 'black spots' on the route) was carrying a payload with a(n) (illegal) street-value of at least $375,000,000.00. Maybe I'm just ignorant, but that is totally unrealistic, right?

Even more mind-boggling is the fact that the Methylamine seems to be +95% of the production costs and troubles of Walt's Meth, and Walt has already calculated that the 1,000 gallon heist would result in $300,000,000 of revenue. If that's the case... If somebody could obtain a single railroad tanker of Methylamine, they would have the ability to produce ~$7.5 BILLION worth of Meth with minimal costs for the other materials needed.

With one train car of that stuff, you would have the means necessary to generate more than the GDP of 65 different countries in 2012. Can somebody else chime in and hopefully tell me I'm not crazy to think that its completely insane to think that a product with that much (illegal) value would be transported in the way the show has depicted?

That math may be correct, strictly speaking, but I would imagine that the local market for meth is just not big enough to justify stealing that amount. I have no idea as to the figures, but when you consider that your customers are meth head losers, it may take 50 years for the meth head population of the southwest to come up with $7.5B to blow on meth. In other words, at a certain point, increasing your supply any more becomes pointless and even counterproductive as it increases some risks. Even if you could somehow operate a national meth distribution (probably impossible to do without risking detection), $7.5B still probably greatly outstrips the demand.

Also, keep in mind that it would be pretty much impossible for someone to actually pull off a robbery like this in real life. I don't even know if there really are "dead zones" where none of the alarms will sound. So even if the quantity of methylamine and the prices quoted are accurate, the heist itself is fiction. That said, if you disagree about my conclusions as to the non-feasibility of this lucrative heist, PM me.

I really don't know how it will end. It's pretty clear Walt will be in some major trouble by the end. It would seem too cliche to let him live but I can't imagine what would happen if he died. I felt the same way about The Dark Knight Rises. I worried that letting Wayne live would be too cliche but killing him about be weird. I expect Walt will either survive or die of cancer before he has a chance to get killed. I don't know if Hank will actually find out about him before Walt dies. I honestly have no idea.

But you're right. Walt is the main enemy now.

Heard on a radio show today that the song Walt was whistling was actually "Lily of the Valley" by Queen. Haven't had a chance to look the song up today, but it would make sense because of the obvious reference.

Heard on a radio show today that the song Walt was whistling was actually "Lily of the Valley" by Queen. Haven't had a chance to look the song up today, but it would make sense because of the obvious reference.

Boss if true.

Excellent catch. This really explains Jesse stopping and looking back towards Walt. Did Jesse recognize the song? It's not like Jesse's into good music so he probably knows the Queen catalog backwards and forwards.

That math may be correct, strictly speaking, but I would imagine that the local market for meth is just not big enough to justify stealing that amount. I have no idea as to the figures, but when you consider that your customers are meth head losers, it may take 50 years for the meth head population of the southwest to come up with $7.5B to blow on meth. In other words, at a certain point, increasing your supply any more becomes pointless and even counterproductive as it increases some risks. Even if you could somehow operate a national meth distribution (probably impossible to do without risking detection), $7.5B still probably greatly outstrips the demand.

Also, keep in mind that it would be pretty much impossible for someone to actually pull off a robbery like this in real life. I don't even know if there really are "dead zones" where none of the alarms will sound. So even if the quantity of methylamine and the prices quoted are accurate, the heist itself is fiction. That said, if you disagree about my conclusions as to the non-feasibility of this lucrative heist, PM me.

Also it's only worth that price if to them if it stops the blue meth production. The Methylamine itself isn't "worth" nearly what they're paying, but getting Walt out of the business is.

Pretty sure that there is eventually going to be one last stand off between Walt and Mike where one of them gets shot or blown up or poisoned or SOMETHING. One of them isn't making it out of this season alive, it's just a matter of which one.

Man, I don't hear Lily of the Valley at all in that whistle. Hmmmm...

Back