• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Breaking Bad - Final Season - SEASON 5 (Part II) Premieres Aug. 11

And I'm not sold on Walt calling for Gale's execution yet keeping the inscription in the book right on his toilet where, undoubtedly, he's not only thumbed through it several times in the ensuing months since Gale's death but also most likely re-read the inscription. He's not a serial killer. He wouldn't keep a trophy of his victims. The Say My Name Walt would've torn the page out and sent it swirling.

A lot of people have been saying Walt would never realistically leave the book sitting around, but I don't know if that's true. Walt has become pretty meticulous and badass, that's true, but he has also had a lot of close calls, fuck ups, and stupid errors throughout the five seasons of the show. And besides, sometimes smart criminals are caught because they make some slight oversight or dumb error. In this case, it may have just been bad luck. In working for Gus early on, Gale may have given Walt the book, and perhaps Walt just never looked at the inscription. Do we REALLY know that he's opened it up and read it? I, for one, don't read on the pot, even though there is reading material nearby. Also, maybe Walt had the book in some drawer and Skylar put it back behind the toilet just b/c it's light poetry reading and it makes sense to have it there to flip through while taking a dump. I thought last night's episode was phenomenal. Regardless of some other possible plot holes, some of the scenes were the best scenes I've seen in a TV show.

One criticism I had was with the prison killings scene. It was an awesome little scene, but the plot points seemed weird. What is the deal with the arbitrary two minute window? I think you can justify it in several ways, but the show didn't go into Walt's reasoning for the two minute window. It also seems absurd that this white power guy could make all this happen in multiple prisons that easily. I mean, that just seems wildly unrealistic to me.

I agree that actually accomplishing the 2 minute window killings would be really difficult... which is why the writers wrote the scene where the uncle hemmed and hawed about pulling it off.

But the reasoning seems pretty clear, right after word of the killings gets out anyone still alive would be moved to super protective custody.

I agree that actually accomplishing the 2 minute window killings would be really difficult... which is why the writers wrote the scene where the uncle hemmed and hawed about pulling it off.

But the reasoning seems pretty clear, right after word of the killings gets out anyone still alive would be moved to super protective custody.

Yep. Plus it's an enormous ego boost for Walt.

Who says the business is going to let Walt out?

With so many people making so much money I doubt he will just be allowed to walk away.

Well it is consistent with the fact that Walt really doesn't know what he's doing.
Maybe by now he doesn't actually have to cook himself anymore.

This is more how I saw the book being out in the open. Not knowing what he's doing + feeling invincible. He does whatever he wants with regards to Skylar so he probably wouldn't care that she saw it.

You would also think the book lying around is a symptom of Walt feeling invincible at home. I'm sure the Heisenberg hat is just lying around as well, yet so many people have seen him doing evil things in that hat, you'd think he'd want to hide it. Hell, the Heisenberg sketch that the DEA has is a spitting image of Walt in the hat.

Optimist:

Walt regretted his treatment of Jesse and made amends by giving him his share.

Pessimist:

Walt needs Jesse back in if he hopes to get out. Now that the money holds zero value for him, it was the easiest method to coerce him.

Also, has there ever been a more intense/disturbing picnic lunch scene? The sense of impending doom was just awesome.

I found it pretty hilarious that the biggest revelation of the show came while Hank was taking a dump.

Even though Jesse got paid off, I bet he regrets going through everything. He had a pretty tight bond with Mike and has taken his share of abuse ("you get used to gettin beat up". In the season finale as they talk about the RV, Jesse says something to the extent that we had a good thing going, we were making money. Jesse has also talked about how Hank has a massive "hard-on" for Jesse and can establish linkage between the two pretty easily. These new links with Lydia, Todd's uncle and the Czech market could prove to be Walt's allies going forward or his downfall. Walt's in a pretty rough place. Hank even mentions chasing monsters and is clearly in a dark place. His naivety, which Walt could once depend on, is gone.

Also, has there ever been a more intense/disturbing picnic lunch scene? The sense of impending doom was just awesome.

Oh yeah. I kept thinking dudes were going to barrel in with assault rifles, or that a giant bomb would go off.

Just went back and looked and the only reference to the W.W. was in Hank's photocopies of Gale's notebook and it said "TO W.W....MY STAR, MY PERFECT SILENCE" which is where the scene they showed with Hank saying "Walter White?" came from....then Walt flips through the notes and finds a poem by Walt Whitman and tells Hank that was the W.W....

Don't think the book was ever mentioned....if it was someone would remember

In the season 3 episode "Sunset" Gale recites a Walt Whitman poem to Walt when they first meet in Gus' lab. In a later scene Walt is seen reading the book.

Last edited:
"Damn you Walt Whitman"-Homer Simpson and perhaps Walter White

I wish it was a TS Eliot book and they spent the next 8 episodes trying to decipher it.

Anyone notice the book the first time they showed it in the ep? I did.

From what I remember of Leaves of Grass when I read it 100 years ago, Whitman mentions his health a number of times which deteriorates and the narrator becomes a different character entirely. The loss of physical self causes a loss of identity. White's probably very conflicted at this point and doesn't have a place to turn to.

Anyone notice the book the first time they showed it in the ep? I did.

Also, from the first season when Jesse asks Walt if he's gone crazy or depressed, Walt just says "I'm awake." Jesse also asks why he would just "break bad;" maybe the writers thought it was too hokey to use the term "breaking bad" but even in the first episode we see that breaking bad isn't necessary a process for Walt, he maybe already have broken bad. Also, Walt kicks the shit out of that kid in the clothing store.

Again, we are not sure if it was his birthday.

I think it would be idiotic to assume otherwise....

They made such a huge deal about it being a tradition for Skylar to write Walt's age in bacon that I doubt he would sully that tradition on a fake birthday when he's not around anyone he knows or that "knows" his fake identity.

It was 100% Walt's birthday in the opening scene and was used to show that time passes and that Walt makes it that far and to establish the flash forward.

I think it would be idiotic to assume otherwise....

They made such a huge deal about it being a tradition for Skylar to write Walt's age in bacon that I doubt he would sully that tradition on a fake birthday when he's not around anyone he knows or that "knows" his fake identity.

It was 100% Walt's birthday in the opening scene and was used to show that time passes and that Walt makes it that far and to establish the flash forward.

He got a fake ID, with the same birthday has his?

2010, you're overthinking this - Gilligan and company were showing us Walt was 52 during that opening scene.

He got a fake ID, with the same birthday has his?

Is that going to give him away?....

300 Million people in this country and 365 days...lots of people share the same birthday.

And he didn't get the ID to get into a club or to be able to buy beer...so we could probably assume that age wasn't a factor in getting the ID.

Makes it easier to remember his fake identity's birthday too...lol

Is that going to give him away?....

300 Million people in this country and 365 days...lots of people share the same birthday.

And he didn't get the ID to get into a club or to be able to buy beer...so we could probably assume that age wasn't a factor in getting the ID.

Makes it easier to remember his fake identity's birthday too...lol

Yea maybe, but i wouldnt discount it out just yet.

Back