• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Breaking down the Tunnels' favorite conservative myth

I don't believe it's different. "Circumstance" in this context means the choices of other people. The stability of your patents relationship, financial or emotional. The support you received from your teachers and professors. The professional advice you received, and your access to people capable of giving professional advice. Your ability to get and keep a job to save money for capital, or your ability to get a loan for capital. The list goes on an on, and none of that takes away from the work that you've done to achieve your goals. There have probably been hundreds of times in your life where someone could have made a different choice that would have set you on a different path than you're on now, made your life more difficult, or easier.

So you argue that there is no personal accountability?

For a smart guy, you don't read very well. Or maybe you do, and you just don't do it very honestly. Neither is a great trait.

You seemed to take issue with my point. I asked you to clarify.

Most immigrants also don't have the existing legacy of being enslaved in America dating back 150+ years with the surrounding derivative effects which it carries in tow.

Most immigrants also don't have the existing legacy of being enslaved in America dating back 150+ years with the surrounding derivative effects which it carries in tow.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internment_of_Japanese_Americans

The question---remains---what is the message that we should send to people of limited options? Do we tell them "These statistics are misleading! It's a traaaap!"?

Further, to what problem is "The other guy has privilege and you do not" a solution? I've never understood the practical utility of that advice.

Last edited:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internment_of_Japanese_Americans

The question---remains---what is the message that we should send to people of limited options? Do we tell them "These statistics are misleading! It's a traaaap!"?

Further, to what problem is "The other guy has privilege and you do not" a solution? I've never understood the practical utility of that advice.

It's a solution to recognize where privilege exists.

Similarly I don't think that the Japanese internment in California reaches quite the level of slavery that black people faced. 100-150,000 thousand Japanese versus 10.7 million that survived the middle passage and made it to Caribbean/USA/Central America.

That's not to say that the internment isn't a tragedy, just not quite as impactful as the literal 10.7 million slaves brought solely for the purpose of being property.

Ronald_Reagan_signing_Japanese_reparations_bill.jpg

Hmmm I wonder what's going on here...

It's a solution to recognize where privilege exists.

Similarly I don't think that the Japanese internment in California reaches quite the level of slavery that black people faced. 100-150,000 thousand Japanese versus 10.7 million that survived the middle passage and made it to Caribbean/USA/Central America.

That's not to say that the internment isn't a tragedy, just not quite as impactful as the literal 10.7 million slaves brought solely for the purpose of being property.

388,000 of which came to the U.S. http://www.theroot.com/articles/history/2012/10/how_many_slaves_came_to_america_fact_vs_fiction.html
Not meaning to trivialize the effects of slavery, just to point out that the numbers are not as far apart as kenpom would like. Unless of course we are talking about problems in Central and South America and the Carribbean, which I do not think we are.

Certainly nothing that we would ever want to give African-Americans. I mean how could we even calculate it??!?

388,000 of which came to the U.S. http://www.theroot.com/articles/history/2012/10/how_many_slaves_came_to_america_fact_vs_fiction.html
Not meaning to trivialize the effects of slavery, just to point out that the numbers are not as far apart as kenpom would like. Unless of course we are talking about problems in Central and South America and the Carribbean, which I do not think we are.

Oh of course not since we apparently live in a god damned vacuum here in America. Do you even believe in globalization or comparing and contrasting? I mean how can someone with multiple degrees be so damn ignorant?

So you argue that there is no personal accountability?

No. Can you point out for me where I've implied that?

"all", he says.

No one is wholly responsible for themselves, and only the ignorant proud claim to be. People such as yourselves only acknowledge suckling teats when they're your own teats. You and all of your accomplishments are the work of others, as indignantly as you might argue otherwise. Denying the existence of privilege is a denial of social interconnectedness.

Oh of course not since we apparently live in a god damned vacuum here in America. Do you even believe in globalization or comparing and contrasting? I mean how can someone with multiple degrees be so damn ignorant?

Ah okay, let's get rolling. Venezuela: how do we fix it? I'm all ears. Laos? Anybody got any ideas for Laos?

We can't even get America to formally apologize for slavery like they did with the internment. House and Senate couldn't come to terms on what the apology would mean for future reparations issues.

We can't even get America to formally apologize for slavery like they did with the internment. House and Senate couldn't come to terms on what the apology would mean for future reparations issues.

Hang on, I thought we were talking about Brazil. Or maybe Columbia. Who cares what America apologizes for ... globalization and comparing and contrasting is where its at!

Hang on, I thought we were talking about Brazil. Or maybe Columbia. Who cares what America apologizes for ... globalization and comparing and contrasting is where its at!

Are you unable to entertain multiple ideas at once? That probably explains a lot. Don't you have some women to discriminate against in the workplace or are you on lunch right now taking a break from your bigotry?

Back