• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bringing Death Penalty Back at the Federal Level After Two Decades

General deterrence would not be an issue if we performed executions in the public square.

And yes, I’m serious.

Of course you are. When Trump says Make America Great Again, you cream your pants thinking about making it like 1860 so you can hang people in the public square and have slaves.

I’d say there is a decent chance that 1 of those 5 inmates did not do the crime for which he will be executed and I can guess what color his skin is.

You seem to be suggesting that Alfred Bourgeois is innocent. I suggest you're wrong

https://www.myplainview.com/news/article/Man-gets-death-penalty-in-daughter-s-death-8799525.php

"In the punishment phase of the trial, eight people, mostly relatives of Bourgeois, testified that they had either been assaulted or threatened by him in recent years.

The defense called one of his sisters, a minister and a former law enforcement officer to to testify on behalf of Bourgeois. They told the jury that he was whipped by his mother as a child.

His wife, Robin, and her daughter told of extensive abuse the 2-year-old endured. Robin Bourgeois said her husband spanked the child so hard the belt broke. She said the child also was beaten with an electrical cord.

The jury also heard that Bourgeois taped the child's mouth to muffle her screams and made her drink his urine from a bottle.

"It is impossible to adequately describe the incomprehensible cruelty demonstrated by Mr. Bourgeois during his six-week torture of this two-year-old child," U.S. Attorney Michael Shelby said in a news release. "It is equally impossible to conceive of a case more deserving of the death penalty."

Prosecutors said Bourgeois staged the June 28, 2002, fall in a Naval station parking lot where he was making a delivery. The child died in a hospital a few hours later.

Bourgeois was arrested after medical personnel determined the child's injuries were inconsistent with a fall. An autopsy found more than 300 injuries including whip marks, healed scars, cuts, bruises and bite marks."

General deterrence would not be an issue if we performed executions in the public square.

And yes, I’m serious.

17c.png

There is a 100% chance the executed have been deterred from repeating their offense.

Seems like we could use the same final solution to deter any group of people from committing crimes.

did he commit the crime for which he was convicted?

Notice how sailor didn’t ask what the crime was. This is how conservatives think. If a judge or even just a cop thinks someone should die, they should die.

Seems like we could use the same final solution to deter any group of people from committing crimes.

we could, but not all crimes are of equal severity, or form the same danger to society;

the possibility of executing an innocent man is one of the strongest arguments against the death penalty; so, is the likely lack of deterrence, and the relatively high percentage of murders with little to no premeditation

Notice how sailor didn’t ask what the crime was. This is how conservatives think. If a judge or even just a cop thinks someone should die, they should die.

notice how quick Ph was to leap to a mistaken conclusion;

I'm on record as being opposed to the death penalty and was merely being curious to see if this particular case fit one of the main reasons for why I am opposed: executing an innocent man

It is cheaper to execute an inmate than it is to house, clothe, watch, and feed them for the rest of their lives.

Aren’t you supposed to be a Christian?

Jesus would be ashamed of his flock.

A 2008 study in Maryland concluded that the cost of a murder case where the death penalty is sought is $1.9 million more (including appeals) than a murder case where the death penalty is not sought. And that’s just one case.

As any responsible death penalty use (assuming there is such a responsible use) has proper safeguards to limit executing innocent individuals, I’d be curious as to how we could keep the death penalty while decreasing such litigation costs.

Aren’t you supposed to be a Christian?

Jesus would be ashamed of his flock.

Yep. No bigger group of hypocrites on this planet. A part of me hopes there is a hell, so that I can see them all there. At least I won't be surprised.

My comment was directed solely at the direct costs of each. The costs of extended capital litigation are another subject.

Are they? Again if you’re going to use the death penalty isn’t it important to have adequate procedures in place to ensure you don’t execute innocent people?

Yep. No bigger group of hypocrites on this planet. A part of me hopes there is a hell, so that I can see them all there. At least I won't be surprised.

Agreed. Ironically religion drives an inordinate amount of hate and discrimination. Although all religion just disappeared overnight I’m sure we as a society would simply find other topics to root our biases and bigotry behind.

Back