• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bringing Death Penalty Back at the Federal Level After Two Decades

It is cheaper to execute an inmate than it is to house, clothe, watch, and feed them for the rest of their lives.

I need some sources on this because every stat I’ve ever heard counters it.

I would support capital punishment, if there was a way to insure those being executed were guilty of the crime. Since there is no way that is going to happened, I don't know how someone could justify death penalties.

Well he’s not technically a murderer but a killer (far be it from me to defend Zimmerman). Also if you’re a proponent of core constitutional values then you should be grateful for defense attorneys. Everyone is entitled to a defense and it’s how we ensure our legal system continues to operate in the intended manner. Someone defends them or the system breaks down - that doesn’t make the people defending the bad people. In fact most of the defense attorneys I know are the nicest people I interact with in a legal context.

It’s not a deterrent because most murders aren’t planned and premeditated. Are you ever going to address that?

Those murders aren't punishable by death. #peakdensity

Fair distinction between the legal definition of premeditation and the analysis that distinguishes planned killings and crimes of passion (which still see plenty of killers placed on death row). I’ll make sure to use more precise language re: premeditation.

Fair distinction between the legal definition of premeditation and the analysis that distinguishes planned killings and crimes of passion (which still see plenty of killers placed on death row). I’ll make sure to use more precise language re: premeditation.

I imagine that can be quite a grey area at times. What's the legal definition of premeditated vs. not?

It’s definitely a gray area - I just chose to keep a more civil level of discourse with catamount instead of being an asshole about his accusation of my “peak denseness.”

Premeditation just means you formed specific intent to commit the crime at some point before the crime occurred. There is plenty of overlap between what could be premeditation where it’s a crime of passion. If you go home and find a truck outside that you know is Bobby’s and you go inside then hear your wife moaning Bobby’s name only to go find your gun and go upstairs and blow Bobby’s brains out, that you went to find the gun could be evidence of premeditation even though plenty of people think it’s a classic crime of passion.

This is the type of case where I think common sense suggests the death penalty isn’t going to deter most people from committing the crime.

What types of cases do you envision the death penalty serves as a deterrent that aren’t planned crimes?

It’s definitely a gray area - I just chose to keep a more civil level of discourse with catamount instead of being an asshole about his accusation of my “peak denseness.”

Premeditation just means you formed specific intent to commit the crime at some point before the crime occurred. There is plenty of overlap between what could be premeditation where it’s a crime of passion. If you go home and find a truck outside that you know is Bobby’s and you go inside then hear your wife moaning Bobby’s name only to go find your gun and go upstairs and blow Bobby’s brains out, that you went to find the gun could be evidence of premeditation even though plenty of people think it’s a classic crime of passion.

This is the type of case where I think common sense suggests the death penalty isn’t going to deter most people from committing the crime.

ETA: depending on jurisdiction this type of reaction during the heat of passion can get at deliberation as well (I believe NC is one). Point is that DG3 is right it’s a gray area.

Thanks man. Is there precedent for that kinda situation, or are the decisions all over the map?

"The death penalty would be cheaper if we only made it MORE immoral/unethical".

Thanks man. Is there precedent for that kinda situation, or are the decisions all over the map?

Generally states have some level of agreement but the details from state to state can be all over the map.

I wasn’t aware that punishment deterred only planned and premeditated crimes.

seems like the punishments in place do quite a bit to deter said planned crimes. most violent crimes are crimes of passion

Back