• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bryant Crawford charge call and subsequent tech

Yes - in the mid 90s teams like Arkansas and Kentucky started playing extremely aggressively on defense putting the onus on the referees to make calls on the physical contact and officiating started letting it slide. It grew from there . . .

You are dead-on. Great point.

and Duke's guards still handcheck on every single possession (Coack K was, of course, taught by Bobby Knight). Once the refs start calling that then I will be really impressed. Until then it's just a joke.

he knows this. he is trolling. and it somehow still works.

from the king of the trolls I'll take this as a complement

ps, I'm not trolling, sorry but I really do think better enforcement of the rules and less physical play will lead to a better game, and I am interested in any suggestions to promote that end; I love basketball, always have, I couldn't care less about bump and grind, or wrastlin', as they detract from the beautiful game.

I am really perplexed about the defenses voiced here for selective enforcement of the rules. They make no sense. If you don't want a rule enforced, then work to remove it. Why have it on the books, if you don't want to enforce it? Learn to move your fuckin' feet. (That means you too Dinos, especially you.) Stop reaching and grabbing in lieu of good defensive positioning.

If players weren't committing more fouls, referees wouldn't be calling more fouls. The only difference now is that referees are calling about 20% of the fouls being committed instead of about 10% of the fouls committed in the past.

If you want fewer fouls called, tell the players to read a damned rulebook.

It's a game, not a fucking circus.

Strong.

and Duke's guards still handcheck on every single possession (Coack K was, of course, taught by Bobby Knight). Once the refs start calling that then I will be really impressed. Until then it's just a joke.

K has evolved with the times. In the beginning he stressed and his Duke teams played good fundamental defense, just like Knight always taught. But as the college game became more physical, K went right along with the trend; just as he has lately embraced one-and-dones, although he was at first reluctant to do so.

I am really perplexed about the defenses voiced here for selective enforcement of the rules. They make no sense. If you don't want a rule enforced, then work to remove it. Why have it on the books, if you don't want to enforce it? Learn to move your fuckin' feet. (That means you too Dinos, especially you.) Stop reaching and grabbing in lieu of good defensive positioning.

The rules are and always have been selectively enforced, in every area of life. It's the difference between the rules on the books and the rules as actually "done."

How many times have you rolled through a stoplight, jaywalked, had a drink while underage or consumed illicit drugs, made a mistake on your tax filings, moved your pivot foot, cut a corner in a menial job or an ethical corner in a less menial job, held a guy's jersey when he jumps for a reception, etc. without being penalized?

Somehow - despite the constant disorder - society, sports, medical practice, the academy, etc. etc. manages to function. All rules are selectively enforced. The manner of enforcement has a lot to do with how people experience and/or characterize this selective enforcement.

The rules are and always have been selectively enforced, in every area of life. It's the difference between the rules on the books and the rules as actually "done."

How many times have you rolled through a stoplight, jaywalked, had a drink while underage or consumed illicit drugs, made a mistake on your tax filings, moved your pivot foot, cut a corner in a menial job or an ethical corner in a less menial job, held a guy's jersey when he jumps for a reception, etc. without being penalized?

Somehow - despite the constant disorder - society, sports, medical practice, the academy, etc. etc. manages to function. All rules are selectively enforced. The manner of enforcement has a lot to do with how people experience and/or characterize this selective enforcement.

Great! Let's make things as arbitrary as possible.

Great! Let's make things as arbitrary as possible.

My point is that they already are as arbitrary as possible. It seems like relentless enforcement causes more problems than it solves, however, whether we're talking about the state of college basketball gameflow or the war on drugs.

shrug

I read this in the voice of that SNL character: The girl you wish you hadn't started a conversation with at a party.

K has evolved with the times. In the beginning he stressed and his Duke teams played good fundamental defense, just like Knight always taught. But as the college game became more physical, K went right along with the trend; just as he has lately embraced one-and-dones, although he was at first reluctant to do so.

Dead-on analysis.....and that was where Coach K & Coach Knight were different. Coach Knight would never have compromised his principles like that.

You have to be committed to beat the fundamentals into kids. When you start treating them like human beings, you've fucked up.

Crawford is a prime example of the spoiled punk, prima donna, whiners that dominate college sports these days. Hell yeah he deserved the technical, should have been thrown out and probably doesn't even to be in school because he probably can't read. Real student athletes are long gone, just pampered babies now, that's why Bob Knight got out because he couldn't stand what's happened to what was supposed to be student athletes.

Bingo. Rule, enforcement, punishment, result.

Take speed cameras. If a camera speeding ticket was as bad as getting pulled by a cop people would riot and half of DC wouldn't have a drivers license. Yet nothing at all changed about the rules and nothing at all changed in how people break those rules. Enforcement goes up, punishment goes down (cheaper fines, zero points on your license, zero court appearance), results are achieved.

The problem with the NCAA is they upped enforcement and left all the punishments the same. Bonus and double bonus, number of fouls, etc. Because the punishments are unreasonable, there's a backwards push against enforcement and you end up with extremely inconsistent calls.

Just a huge lack of foresight by the NCAA.

Crawford is a prime example of the spoiled punk, prima donna, whiners that dominate college sports these days. Hell yeah he deserved the technical, should have been thrown out and probably doesn't even to be in school because he probably can't read. Real student athletes are long gone, just pampered babies now, that's why Bob Knight got out because he couldn't stand what's happened to what was supposed to be student athletes.
Dude, you just crossed the line. Crawford is wound a bit tight but he doesn't appear to be a prima donna. He is a DC playground kid. The prima donnas are down in Durham. And I'll bet Crawford is smarter than you think. A lot smarter than the idiot who played for Duke one year and is now with the 76ers.

Back