• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bryce Harper Is As Advertised

Yeah, any guess how long he'll be in Hagerstown? I live an hour away and would like to see him play. My friends saw him several weeks ago and said his power is incredible.

Strasburg will be the best pitcher in baseball once again next year.

I wasn't comparing talent level. I was comparing how there is danger in thinking you have a hot young prospect and rushing him through the system.

I wasn't comparing talent level. I was comparing how there is danger in thinking you have a hot young prospect and rushing him through the system.

Ahh, okay. It is still early but as a fan of baseball, I would hate to see him rushed up that quickly. No one can ever really predict with certainty what the Nationals will do but I highly doubt he makes the majors for a while.

Hopefully the progression is also well spread out.

Yeah. In moneyball beane talks about how the mets thought he was the shit, and put him in A ball and Darryl Strawberry in rookie ball. Beane said he felt rushed through and never really felt comfortable or had any confidence.

Yeah. In moneyball beane talks about how the mets thought he was the shit, and put him in A ball and Darryl Strawberry in rookie ball. Beane said he felt rushed through and never really felt comfortable or had any confidence.

This is also his reflections looking back. At the time, he didn't have the ability to really understand why things weren't working, and it just led to lots of frustration.

Right. I have a feeling I would not like Bryce Harper. His game is about his swagger and bringing him through too quickly would jeopardize that.

He's still smearing on as much eyeblack as they'll let him get away with. Douchey, but he's my douche too.

Dooosh is a bit strong IMO. Let's not forget he is 18. By all accounts he has been a very good teammate and has not played the "do you know who I am" card in the clubhouse. I would think that would be very tempting for an 18 year-old who has been crowned the king of baseball (when he was 15) and has a pocket full of money. There is still plenty of time for him to have a Hamilton like implosion but just because he wears eye black does not mean he is a doosh...think of the dumb shit you did when you were 18.

Dooosh is a bit strong IMO. Let's not forget he is 18. By all accounts he has been a very good teammate and has not played the "do you know who I am" card in the clubhouse. I would think that would be very tempting for an 18 year-old who has been crowned the king of baseball (when he was 15) and has a pocket full of money. There is still plenty of time for him to have a Hamilton like implosion but just because he wears eye black does not mean he is a doosh...think of the dumb shit you did when you were 18.

He already started a brawl didn't he?

I'm no Nats fan, but Strasburg seems like a really great kid to root for. Harper, not so much. But you're right, he has plenty of time to mature and we'll see what he does.

He already started a brawl didn't he?

I'm no Nats fan, but Strasburg seems like a really great kid to root for. Harper, not so much. But you're right, he has plenty of time to mature and we'll see what he does.

"Brawl"? Would a punch have to be thrown in order for it to be called a "brawl"? And he did not start it. Some single A pitcher trying to make a name for himself started jawing at Harper after striking him out. Harper responded and the benches cleared....not a punch was thrown.

I just heard about it. I didn't know the details.

All I'm saying is that he is going to be a target forever. That will not be the last time something like that happens. He will need to show he has the personality and maturity to overcome being a target. How will he be in the locker room? Will he be a leader or just a kid with all the attention that everybody hates? Those things become important at the next level. The worst possible thing they could do is rush him to the majors before he learns how to be a pro.

I just heard about it. I didn't know the details.

All I'm saying is that he is going to be a target forever. That will not be the last time something like that happens. He will need to show he has the personality and maturity to overcome being a target. How will he be in the locker room? Will he be a leader or just a kid with all the attention that everybody hates? Those things become important at the next level. The worst possible thing they could do is rush him to the majors before he learns how to be a pro.

Completely agree.

Back