• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BSD Article: Wake Forest Student Section

I'm an old.
First ECU football game I attended the stadium had festival seating.

I think Wake could take some measures, in cooperation with the City, to make it easier for Wake students to walk to games. If you look at the area on Google maps, a nice, wide, lighted walkway could be built from around the "clubhouse" of the golf practice area through the cross-country trails right along the back of the houses on Faculty, leading to University Parkway. Then a walkway could be built over University Parkway, dropping kids off to the right of Reynolds Blvd. Then the nice, wide, lighted walkway could be continued along that side of University. The only roads kids would have to cross would be the two two-lane Cherry Street branches - unless you also wanted to build walkways across (or under) those. You could either cut it through the woods to lead to the back parking lots for BB&T or lead it up to Baity Street. Then it is easy to walk to BB&T from Baity or continue through the tunnel from BB&T to the Joel.

I think Wake could take some measures, in cooperation with the City, to make it easier for Wake students to walk to games. If you look at the area on Google maps, a nice, wide, lighted walkway could be built from around the "clubhouse" of the golf practice area through the cross-country trails right along the back of the houses on Faculty, leading to University Parkway. Then a walkway could be built over University Parkway, dropping kids off to the right of Reynolds Blvd. Then the nice, wide, lighted walkway could be continued along that side of University. The only roads kids would have to cross would be the two two-lane Cherry Street branches - unless you also wanted to build walkways across (or under) those. You could either cut it through the woods to lead to the back parking lots for BB&T or lead it up to Baity Street. Then it is easy to walk to BB&T from Baity or continue through the tunnel from BB&T to the Joel.

At least when I was in school, the faculty drive homeowners fought tooth and nail to keep students off that street. They didn't want students cutting through to University about as much as they didn't want the University Blvd. crowd coming on campus.

Faculty Drive should be bought, demolished, and transformed into University grounds for expansions. From the big baseball lights tantrum I've been opposed to that community.

Faculty Drive should be bought, demolished, and transformed into University grounds for expansions. From the big baseball lights tantrum I've been opposed to that community.

I wouldn't mind living there some day.

Easy path.

Just add mirrors. 3500 becomes 15000.
Heels shooting free throws raise mirrors, make em pick which goal to chuck it at.
K working refs, add more refs with mirrors.

Endless uses.

This idea has legs.

Yeah it's always been unrealistic for Wake to think it could maintain that community while continuing to build up campus in that direction. Faculty drive was a great idea in the 50's when campus was built but the percentage of homes filled by current faculty has to be down near 25%.

I'm pretty sure the University has right of first refusal for all the homes in that neighborhood. The construction of the golf complex caused a lot of issues for both the University and the homeowners backing up to the complex. Those could have largely been avoided if the University had started buying up those houses when they were sold by the original owners or their heirs.

At least when I was in school, the faculty drive homeowners fought tooth and nail to keep students off that street. They didn't want students cutting through to University about as much as they didn't want the University Blvd. crowd coming on campus.

That's why I didn't mention using Faculty Drive.

Easy path.

Just add mirrors. 3500 becomes 15000.
Heels shooting free throws raise mirrors, make em pick which goal to chuck it at.
K working refs, add more refs with mirrors.

Endless uses.

Now this idea has some merit.

7becb668f652835abc1d73588d25a153.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It sounds like some of them don't really want to be a part of the Wake Forest community. Maybe the University should reevaluate that area.

If Wake can drive faculty like Dr. Powell out of Faculty Apartments to turn them into Student Apts, I don't see why they can't nose their way into Faculty Drive. Though for years that was always why Wake couldn't put up lights at the baseball stadium or expand parts of the golf facilities.

If Wake can drive faculty like Dr. Powell out of Faculty Apartments to turn them into Student Apts, I don't see why they can't nose their way into Faculty Drive. Though for years that was always why Wake couldn't put up lights at the baseball stadium or expand parts of the golf facilities.

wfu clearing out faculty drive:

Lpvmx.gif

I'd imagine the ownership arrangement at Faculty Apartments was different. Some of the people on Faculty drive moved there in the 60's and own their lots outright. Only restriction is that University has first dibs on any home when it is sold.

I don't have a problem with people in that neighborhood fighting against bright lights or heavy foot traffic from drunk 18-22 year olds. Both of those are nuisances that couldn't have really been anticipated when Wake was a small regional school and that area of campus wasn't as developed.

The University deserves a lot of blame for not proactively factoring in that community as it made the transition into a relatively larger more nationally focused university. A lot of the original owners started moving out in the 90's and 95% of those homes have turned over at least once since the original owners. Wake should have set aside money to snap up those homes as they were sold in order to repurpose that part of campus.

For a lot of reasons, having Faculty love on campus no longer provides much benefit for students. Having retired Faculty live on campus certainly provides no benefit. Instead of literally encroaching on the private property of people (often people who served the University for 30+ years) that live on Faculty drive, the University should invest in repurposing that area of campus to better serve the entire WFU community.

Back