• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bud Noel - SI.com Honorable Mention All-American

If you knew you were saying something controversial why would you get so defensive when people disagree with what you said?

And if you don't think you are getting defensive then you can just ignore that question. Not a big enough deal to me to get into it, but I am somewhat curious.

If you knew you were saying something controversial why would you get so defensive when people disagree with what you said?

And if you don't think you are getting defensive then you can just ignore that question. Not a big enough deal to me to get into it, but I am somewhat curious.

I was definitely defensive, but only because rather than ask why I so firmly believe what I believe, certain people would rather just laugh about it.

Disagreeing is one thing, laughing at the opinion that I have with absolutely no idea of why I said it, as well as no want to learn about why I said what I said is why I will defend myself.

Glad to see Bud get some recognition. Really liked his cover ability and tackling. Still though, Phonz was a game changer. Interceptions, sacks, blocked punts, forced fumbles, and he scored touchdowns.
Micah is going to shatter Barclay's records... Josh Adams is going to erase the memory of Micah... Josh Harris is so going to rush for 1,000+ yards...

There's a good chance that Bud is going to be awesome but I'll wait until he has more than one season under his belt before crowning him. We go through this every year with at least one player.

All of this.

Glad to see Bud get some recognition. Really liked his cover ability and tackling. Still though, Phonz was a game changer. Interceptions, sacks, blocked punts, forced fumbles, and he scored touchdowns.

I did forget how many sacks that Zo had in his career. He certainly has elements of his game that Bud could work on.

I guess I would also say that I have more faith for Bud because he went up against some of the best wide receivers in the country this year, and while he did get picked on a lot by the quarterbacks, he also made a heckuva lot of plays.

It seems like he doesn't go for the big play a lot either, which results in solid tackling and more PBU's than interceptions. That kind of corner is much more likely to be consistent and not have a large dropoff than a "risk and reward" corner like Zo and Kenny have proven to be.

That kind of corner is much more likely to be consistent and not have a large dropoff than a "risk and reward" corner like Zo and Kenny have proven to be.

I must have missed Kenny's reward.

Well you know what they say. "Okoro giveth."

On the 4th game of the season, Okoro gave to me:

Four 8 yard cushions,
Three missed tackles,
Two 3rd down completions,
One Offensive pass interference!

Okoro may be my least favorite Deac of all time. At least Ammo didn't complain like a fool when he screwed up.

I'm hoping Okoro at least have a Willie Idlette type finish with a solid senior year after a promising freshman year and two forgettable years in the middle. I'll gladly take a Riley Swanson senior year if he stays at CB.

I'm all in on Bud. The differences between him and Phonz have been noted. Bud needs to keep up the steady coverage and tackling and add more picks.

Bud is well ahead of where Phonz was as a freshman. Lets leave it at that.

LOLWUT!!!!

2005 (Redshirt Freshman):
Named first team Freshman All-American by CollegeFootballNews.com, ESPN.com, and Scout.com ... Chosen second team Freshman All-American by The Sporting News and Rivals.com ... Selected to The Sporting News' ACC All-Freshman Team ... Recipient of the ACC's Defensive Back of the Week award on October 24 ... Ranked among the top freshmen nationally with eight tackles for loss ... Tied for the team lead and tied for third in the ACC with 12 passes defended ... Tied for eighth in the ACC and 68th nationally with three interceptions ... Claimed a starting job in the preseason as a rookie and retained it all season ... One of only three Wake Forest defenders to start all 11 games ... The team's fourth-leading tackler with 59 stops, including 52 solo ... Had nine pass break-ups, eight tackles for loss, three interceptions (one for TD), two blocked punts, two sacks and a forced fumble ... Broke up three passes against Vanderbilt's Jay Cutler in his career debut and made six tackles ... Had five tackles including one for loss at Nebraska ... Blocked a punt, broke up a pass and had two tackles against East Carolina ... Recorded four tackles, including one for loss, in the Maryland game ... Posted a season-high 11 tackles, including one for loss, against Clemson ... His TFL against the Tigers was on a fake field goal and it sealed the victory ... Had a forced fumble, a pass break-up and five tackles in the Florida State game ... Blocked a punt, intercepted a pass, had six tackles, including one for loss, at Boston College ... Returned an interception for touchdown, had two tackles for loss and six tackles against NC State ... His last tackle against the Wolfpack was on a fake punt that sealed the win ... Had three stops, one for loss and a pass break-up at Duke ... Made five tackles at Georgia Tech ... Had six tackles including a sack against Miami in the season finale.

Alphonso Smith might be the greatest defensive player in school history.

If not for Aaron Curry.

(cue the haters)

Zo was better than AC.

Over 4 years? Take the guy who was a four year starter over the guy who was a 3 year starter. It's a simple effective metric for two great players.

At this point, I think Noel is more Brandon Ghee than he is Alphonso Smith.

That's not a bad thing at all.

As noted earlier, the thing that separates Smith from just about everyone else is the game changing plays. The INTs, fumbles caused, blocked kicks & TDs.

In Alphonso's "sophomore slump" year he had 4 sacks, 3 INTs, 8.5 TFL, 48 total tackles, 8 PBUs and one blocked punt for a TD.

Back