• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bud Noel - SI.com Honorable Mention All-American

In Alphonso's "sophomore slump" year he had 4 sacks, 3 INTs, 8.5 TFL, 48 total tackles, 8 PBUs and one blocked punt for a TD.

True, but got burned a bit too often also. Also, on the other thread I refused to choose between Phonz and AC. They were both great and we were lucky to be able to watch both at the same time. As for the Phonz-Bud debate, who knows. The differences have been noted, there's something to be said for consistent lock down coverage and something to be said for "superior" ball skills. The only way to compare them will be to judge on a year by year basis, or on their careers after Bud graduates. I'm glad we had one and now the other.

Last edited:
This is hard to judge. I think Bud already plays the man tighter than Phonz. And I think he is taught to do that. Phonz had breaking speed and superior hands. Just look at Phonz's return last weekend... pick 6.

When Bud gains experience and if his hand skills develop he could be an even better corner. He's bigger than Phonz and he hits harder than Phonz by a mile.

It's a nice argument to entertain.

If Bud ends up being better than Phonz,

jizz-in-my-pants-andy-samberg1.jpg

That was a great tackle. Bud had 48 solo tackles this year. Pretty good stuff.

Glad to see Bud get some recognition. Really liked his cover ability and tackling. Still though, Phonz was a game changer. Interceptions, sacks, blocked punts, forced fumbles, and he scored touchdowns.

Yea, plus Bud is only a Freshman ;)

Noel was an ILB in HS while Phonz was the option QB at the very same school (hence the better eye-hand ballskills for Zo)

Merril's experience makes him a very physical corner (moreso than Alphonso) -- like on the play he stripped the Maryland WR and Ziggy recovered (replay fudged the call on the play). Nevertheless Noel showed his physical nature and he plays the game like a diminutive LB.

How do you plan to measure this? I assume you don't think Noel will be the all time ACC INT leader.

A very good question indeed, but I do think there is more than just being somebody that can intercept passes (and Phonso could certainly do more than just intercept passes).

A very good question indeed, but I do think there is more than just being somebody that can intercept passes (and Phonso could certainly do more than just intercept passes).

If you combine the two you might, in a million years, have Dick Lane. But they both have huge upside and I am so thankful they are both Deacs.

Laronji Vashon will be better than both....

just sayin...

I have faith in our staff and try not to be too much of a star gazer but help me understand the Vashon hype. By the services, he is one of our lower rated recruits and the offer sheet doesn't seem spectacular.

I have faith in our staff and try not to be too much of a star gazer but help me understand the Vashon hype. By the services, he is one of our lower rated recruits and the offer sheet doesn't seem spectacular.

I'm just having a little fun but honestly Laronji is still one of the best cover corners in the South. He is hurt ranking wise by being only 5'7 1/2 -- but make no mistake about it Laronji is equally as dynamic an athlete as Phonz, Merrill or the 2 star Kevin Johnson who beat out Noel in preseason.

Laronji's camp performances among 400 other participants is also proof as to the type of player he is -- he ranks among the top 40 players in the South according to the Alabama big board.

Noel was voted "fastest breaking corner in Florida" and this kid has the same explosiveness -- as a matter of fact he may "pop" more on film than Noel.

Bottom line : the kid has SEC quicks and I pray he continues to go un-heralded. Exact same is true for Sheldon...

Matter of fact I'm going to get on my knees right now and ask Tim Tebow to make it a done deal.

Apparently he talks about the most trash in the South too

Back