• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Build your own best Wake Forest Football Offense from 2013 to Present

Wolford: This would be such a good question to ask the WRs who played with both. @CONeill
C. Carney: Without Newman at QB, Carney would have had double digit TDs his SR year,
Roberson: If 2020 wasn't shortened I think he would have broken all kinds of records. Sage was my number 2. His 19 season was just so impressive, and only a sophomore too.
Dortch: I would have loved to see Camp play with a better QB, so maybe its not fair to include him.

Fair enough, it's your team you can pick what you want.

Curious what you think Cooley offers that peak Cade Carney wasn't able to do better though. Cade played through a million injuries at Wake, but when he was healthy he was absolutely your prototypical battering ram type of RB and did it as a focal point of the offense unlike Cooley who was just a change of pace RB.
Ehh, probably just a gut feeling. Cade seemed to get stuffed and/or lose yardage a higher % of the time than Cooley, but the sample sizes are drastically different. If Cooley was as good as I think he was/is, he likely wouldn't have ended up at Liberty.

You are the selection committee. Pick 1 of each of the following, QB, RB, Tall WR, Short WR, to form your ideal Wake Forest Offense.

QBs:
Hartman
Newman
Wolford

RBs:
T. Carney
C. Carney
Coburn
Cooley
Turner
Claiborne
CBS
(I am leaving out KW3, because that's too easy)

Tall WR:
AT Perry
Scotty Washington
Sage Surratt
Roberson
Serigne
D. Greene
Banks

Short WR:
Dortch
Camp
Bachman
Morin
Tabari
K. Williams
Hinton

Feel free to add someone else if you so desire.
Leaving out KW3 because it's too easy is silly, because it's all too easy.

Wolford
KW3
Perry
Dortch

The only one where there's any debate is Wolford or Hartman.

Wolford: This would be such a good question to ask the WRs who played with both. @CONeill
I mean ... kinda.

But the WRs who played with Wolford and Hartman either got Hartman as an inexperienced freshman who made a ton of mistakes, and then who was Newman's backup for a season; or they were too young to get significant reps/targets with Wolford and got the better version of Hartman.

I.e. Scotty Washington and A.T. Perry played with fairly different versions of Hartman. And somebody like Jaquarii Roberson might have caught passes from Wolford in a random 1-on-1 rep or post-practice work, but never in a meaningful rep.

Kendall Hinton's unique experience probably makes him the most interesting person to ask.

It makes a big difference if this is one game against Louisville or general. Because Colburn hands down against Louisville

Also, despite Hartman being the most winning QB in Wake history and having his name written on almost every page of the record book, the fanbase does not seem to trust him to win. Wolford had a terrible couple seasons, but his senior year and what he has done since, seems to have left a favorable impression.

The fact that Wolford took a beating his first two years and never complained about it impressed me. Tough hombre. I suspect others feel the same way. Wolford was also the QB that turned the team from lousy to good. That is always a tough task and is deeply appreciated. His play during his senior year left a great final impression. Hartman's final impression was at Notre Dame. Fans can understand and agree with your motives and decisions, but when you choose to play elsewhere, you diminished your legacy. Human nature.

With one game to win, would take senior year Wolford, but he was always injury prone. Even during his great senior year, he missed games. In the NFL despite scant PT, he got hurt when he played. Sam never missed games, except for a very serious medical condition, and even then, he bounced back quickly. Sam would play hurt. That's why he accumulated amazing numbers. Durability is always underrated.

With one game to win, would take senior year Wolford, but he was always injury prone. Even during his great senior year, he missed games. In the NFL despite scant PT, he got hurt when he played. Sam never missed games, except for a very serious medical condition, and even then, he bounced back quickly. Sam would play hurt. That's why he accumulated amazing numbers. Durability is always underrated.

Fair. I would argue that when Wolford was healthy he ran the true RPO better than anyone because he had the wheels to take off and was a significant threat to do so.

Loved Sam but I really wish Newman had stayed another year. I really think it would have been special.

Back