• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bullshit Fox News Says

Serious question - What medical expertise do either of you have to determine whether a doctor's opinion is bullshit or not?

I usually start by doing a basic internet search on the specific doctor. I look for papers published, books, other interviews etc. I also look at their certifications and associations. Then I cross check any papers or articles they cite in their interview. I then read the papers or at least skim them as a basic peer review.

That is how independent thought works. Try it sometime.

I’m a doctor. If anyone is promoting hydroxychloroquine as miracle for COVID-19, they are bullshitting. I have seen Hannity aggressively advocating for widespread use of the medication and criticizing the caution currently recommended by the research and medical communities. That fact is that there just isn’t high quality evidence that it is effective in a significant way. I hope it will prove to be, but pushing it now, without better evidence, is irresponsible.

That said, you don’t have to be a doctor to read what the CDC has to say about it.

Serious question - What medical expertise do either of you have to determine whether a doctor's opinion is bullshit or not?

i don't think that they are necessarily calling the medicine itself bullshit. the fact that they are calling it a miracle drug, without due diligence of testing in a GLP atmosphere, is complete and total bullshit.

they have no true idea what this medication will/is doing to this virus. claiming it as a miracle drug without good data (clinical) or is dangerous and can be considered illegal. if this drug ends up killing people, Trump could, and should, be held liable. now the drug is already FDA approved but for a completely different treatment. they took a shot in the dark based on similar symptoms to it's intended treatment. it appears to be a loophole and typically not prescribed by physicians without corroborating research data.

on the surface, this is not a lot different then what Jim Baker was spouting to the brain deads, but data will come now that it is being widely utilized.

from what i have seen there is no preclinical data (efficacy on this virus), or any phase 0-3 testing...they just went directing into prescribing based on hearsay.

therefore...BULLSHIT, for now.

I are one. A very experienced one, at this point. Double-board certified. Whut scores in the top 5 percent of my board certification/recertification exams.

Doesn't mean all my medical opinions are correct. But...since you asked.

I are one. A very experienced one, at this point. Double-board certified. Whut scores in the top 5 percent of my board certification/recertification exams.

How does that compare with Hannity?

I’m a doctor. If anyone is promoting hydroxychloroquine as miracle for COVID-19, they are bullshitting. I have seen Hannity aggressively advocating for widespread use of the medication and criticizing the caution currently recommended by the research and medical communities. That fact is that there just isn’t high quality evidence that it is effective in a significant way. I hope it will prove to be, but pushing it now, without better evidence, is irresponsible.

That said, you don’t have to be a doctor to read what the CDC has to say about it.

Thank you

Just to clarify... you are a surgeon?

Last edited:

I'm one as well. Based on the mechanism of action, and the data released to this point, I think it is extremely unlikely hydroxychloroquine provides any significant benefit to a patient with COVID. Colonel, if there are data that have impressed you, please point me to them.

I'm not a doctor, but I do wonder how a drug developed to kill malarial plasmodia is supposed to be effective against a viral vector?
There's a damn good reason why research is non-conclusive.

The story I read said it lowers the ph of cells and makes them inhospitable to the virus.

Also to clarify, I'm not nor have claimed that chloroquine or hydroxychloroquine are useless vs Covid-19.

Just saying it's (way) too soon to determine that the use of these should be widely encouraged for this illness. And I'm suspicious that any benefit may be mild. And possibly more related to anti-inflammatory or anti-immune system mechanisms than antiviral ones. But we really don't know at this point.

Back