• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bullshit Fox News Says

I think Biden needs to just say Trump is lying or is wrong. Things like:

Trump: We had the best China virus response on the planet, more testing than anyone and we opened our economy before anyone thought we could --

Biden (interrupting): That's a bunch of malarkey and there isn't a shred of proof to back it up. You denied it was a problem, said it would go away and went to the golf course.

Hillary tried to out qualify Trump and show the audience the massive difference in intelligence and preparedness between her and Trump. Trump just called her names and lied repeatedly. Biden's debate prep should be far less about practicing talking point and policy positions and far more about rehearsing quips and insults.

Agreed. Hillary approached the debates with Trump as if it would be a formal, traditional debate. On substance and debating points she clobbered him, largely because Trump had no substance and didn't care about debating in any traditional way. Instead, he just spent his time hurling personal insults, one-line zingers ("WRONG!"), trolling, constantly interrupting, and deliberately doing his best to loom menacingly over her. And it worked, at least for his supporters. Trying to argue substance with Trump is useless - he'll just respond with some one-liner or insult and never give a real response. He loves to steal the spotlight by being outrageous, as he learned in his celebrity and reality-tv show days. Biden needs to have some substantive talking points, but he also needs to be ready to respond to Trump with his own one-liners and comebacks. I'm not sure that Trump would deal all that well with facing someone who could turn his insults into a joke and zing him right back, while also still hitting him on all the substantive failures of his presidency.

Biden needs to practice his “WTF” expression, his *shakes head* “That’s malarkey!” come back, a few key facts about the coronavirus response.

A few one liners like, “I hope you had that on your debate bingo card.” Or “I hope you’re not playing a Lying Trump drinking game.”

Can you imagine if Biden's opening remarks included a caution for viewers at home not to drink every time trump lies. We don't want to overwhelm the local doctors that are on the front lines of the pandemic fighting a fake disease thats killed 150k (200 by then?)

Not to drink unless it’s hydrochloriquine. Because that doesn’t really do anything to you.

Fox News complaining about breaking election tradition by not having debates and not a word about breaking election tradition and not releasing tax returns

Thinking about the 2016 debates and how trump still won the election bums me the fuck out. If anyone could watch 5 minutes of any of those debates, and still vote for trump, then they are either complete morons or willfully complicit in every shit sandwich this country has had to eat for the last 4 years - probably both. He came across as the completely unqualified ignorant asshole that he’s proven to be.

And the media totally let him off the hook by because he didn’t say the N word or literally take a shit on stage. Basically because he didn’t do those things he surpassed expectations while Hillary didn’t.

And the media totally let him off the hook by because he didn’t say the N word or literally take a shit on stage. Basically because he didn’t do those things he surpassed expectations while Hillary didn’t.

Oh, just wait. Trump might actually take that shit on the stage at this year's debate. And the media will yawn and say "well, it's Trump, what did you expect?" while slamming Biden for slurring a word or getting a minor fact wrong, which is no doubt proof that he has dementia.

Trump’s argument really isn’t helping him. I wish that was pointed out in the interview. His boiled down argument is that we are doing a poorer job to reduce spread and allowing more people to become infected in this country relative to others but our medical community is saving our ass by helping more of them survive than other countries. Yet, he refuses to listen to the advice of that medical community.

Thinking about the 2016 debates and how trump still won the election bums me the fuck out. If anyone could watch 5 minutes of any of those debates, and still vote for trump, then they are either complete morons or willfully complicit in every shit sandwich this country has had to eat for the last 4 years - probably both. He came across as the completely unqualified ignorant asshole that he’s proven to be.

I use the debates when teaching rhetoric to my high school kids. After watching them repeatedly, I’m shocked that intelligent people can’t see how effective Trump is in a debate setting. He has an innate ability to appeal to the stupid or the ignorant. You’ve got to think like a rube, or watch rubes watch the debates.

I'm not one to defend Trump, but his message here isn't necessarily pointless, he just has no idea what he is saying or how to communicate the message. Low death rate per detected case compared to other countries tells us that we are probably detecting a lot more cases than other countries, and/or we have improved our ability to treat the disease compared to other countries (or even in NY where the out break stated to get really bad in the US). Both of these possibilities are good things, but alone they are not enough to claim victory over the virus, because when you put that into the overall context of cases per capita or deaths per capita. It also completely ignores the rate of change in the death rate per case or per captia (Trump probably paid some nerd to do his calculus for him and Wharton).

Oh, just wait. Trump might actually take that shit on the stage at this year's debate. And the media will yawn and say "well, it's Trump, what did you expect?" while slamming Biden for slurring a word or getting a minor fact wrong, which is no doubt proof that he has dementia.

"This was Biden's shot to prove himself and he stumbled. He also never directly addressed what the President said about Hunter."

I use the debates when teaching rhetoric to my high school kids. After watching them repeatedly, I’m shocked that intelligent people can’t see how effective Trump is in a debate setting. He has an innate ability to appeal to the stupid or the ignorant. You’ve got to think like a rube, or watch rubes watch the debates.

I'm interested in your breakdown of this effect. Like others have been posting here, I think it's because he just uses quips and one-liners rather than engaging in a more substantive level. Dumb people don't want substance, they want one-line insults. Anything else you see?

Making Democrats mad is the most important thing a Republican can do.

This. Most every Republican I know is a "party over country" type Republican. Hating/owning the libs is more important than anything. That is really Trump's only strength.

There’s a good video from shortly after the election of a woman as Trump and a man as Hillary from one of the debates. It was enlightening. The researchers who set it up expected to reveal gender bias but it showed that Hillary looked like a stick in the mud and Trump looked more dynamic even with the genders reversed.

It will be interesting to say the least. Biden has the ability to get fired up and speak to the level of the person confronting him. He did this on the campaign trail and was criticized for losing his cool. It may be exactly what he needs to fire back at Trump in a debate. It really wouldn't surprise me if he cursed on the debate stage in response to some lie Trump spews. I just don't know what the end result would be.

Back