• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bullshit Fox News Says

I know one thing. Telling the truth and expecting media to tell the truth doesn't work. Democrats have to do more than that to market the truth.

The dem position is tax the rich and give it to the poor. Should be an easy platform to win everywhere with as long as we don't push too hard too fast on the progressive things the right can demonize. Game theory says get control of all the state houses and re-draw some districts and pack some courts and THEN abolish the police.

They demonize taxing the rich to give it to the poor.

They demonize taxing the rich to give it to the poor.

Yeah but they also straight up lie about the Democrat platform. Plans to tax the rich become plans to tax everyone, plans to implement universal health care become death panels, plans for a national mask mandate become freedom oppressing communism.

Yep

And they’ve successfully sold to their base the dishonest fear mongering wrt both moderate policy and politicians. And discovered they don’t even offer to have any better or even alternative policy.

Just the successful selling of lies is enough to get a ton of votes for Republicans “down the ballot” from Pubs reluctant to embrace disastrous Dear Leader.

How about we start prosecuting people who deliberately either go on the news, write columns, or post disinformation on social media. Democrats shouldn't have to do shit to counter liars.

First Amendment doesn’t protect you from libel or slander. The legal standard is much higher for a politician, but if all of this was blatantly false and they intentionally spread disinformation about him, it sounds like a solid case.

How about we start prosecuting people who deliberately either go on the news, write columns, or post disinformation on social media. Democrats shouldn't have to do shit to counter liars.

giphy.gif

I think they should re-establish the fairness doctrine for any program or channel labelling itself as news. Both sides complain about (different) parts of the media being biased, why not start to solve that problem?

Extend that to other media like newspapers and websites as well.

agree with all of this and the fairness doctrine.

a large number (a little less than 50%) just cannot discern truth from lies or propaganda. therefore we need to make sure that "news" agencies at least TRY to validate their articles and stop hiding behind "opinion" articles that attack with slander and BS.

Democrats need to start suing for libel wherever they can.

We can’t overstate just how susceptible people are to information that is obviously wrong. If you see a Facebook post with someone posting the Lord’s Prayer to defy Mark Zuckerberg banning the Lord’s Prayer, then it’s pretty clear that Zuckerberg isn’t banning the Lord’s Prayer. That’s simple.

There are very few libel claims that are not being pursued. And if you want to strengthen libel laws, well, so does President Trump.

I like the idea of some form of fairness doctrine, as I understand it.

But what's the chance of the US implementing something like this?

How could we get it accomplished?

There are no "libel laws." There is the US Constitution and the First Amendment and case law interpreting the Constitution and when someone can be held liable for their speech.

I like the idea of some form of fairness doctrine, as I understand it.

But what's the chance of the US implementing something like this?

How could we get it accomplished?

The problem is that, as in government, you have to have good faith operators.

There are no "libel laws." There is the US Constitution and the First Amendment and case law interpreting the Constitution and when someone can be held liable for their speech.

Liable for their speech under what kinds of laws, exactly?

Back