• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Business Week Article on UNC Mess

Great articles. I'm sure a lot of big time universities do what UNC has done, but UNC is just pissed they got caught. It completely exposes the "Carolina Way" bullshit which is what they're most upset about (reputation). I realize it is hard to tell because we have pride in MSD but I hope that if this sort of thing ever happened at Wake I'd be embarrassed.

Nyang’oro was criminally indicted in December for defrauding UNC.

I missed this when it happened. Think he'll sing to save himself?

If UNC had not assumed a superior facade, this would not be so infuriating. Now it is provoking to hear Carolina people refusing to accept/admit wrongdoing.

As enjoyable as this is, it will ultimately have little to no impact. It's the one "aw shit" (ask Roy) on the radar of plenty of "atta boys," at least insofar as those who find positives in all that is UNC are concerned. Look at the Jan Kemp situation at UGA in the early 80s. Meant nothing and changed nothing after time passed. And that "this too shall pass" mentality is exactly what we'll see with UNC.

As enjoyable as this is, it will ultimately have little to no impact. It's the one "aw shit" (ask Roy) on the radar of plenty of "atta boys," at least insofar as those who find positives in all that is UNC are concerned. Look at the Jan Kemp situation at UGA in the early 80s. Meant nothing and changed nothing after time passed. And that "this too shall pass" mentality is exactly what we'll see with UNC.

Not sure about that. This snowball is growing and the bigger it gets the more likelihood it will not be ignored.

Not sure about that. This snowball is growing and the bigger it gets the more likelihood it will not be ignored.

Dunno. The NCAA already came onto campus and did a "thorough" investigation that resulted in meaningless penalties to those cheaters.*** You think the NCAA is going to be like "my bad," let's try this again?

*** cheating refers to putting an ineligible and outside of the rules product on the field AND cheating those insufferable fools that committed to UNC out of a meaningful education, the latter being the more damaging IMO.

Dunno. The NCAA already came onto campus and did a "thorough" investigation that resulted in meaningless penalties to those cheaters.*** You think the NCAA is going to be like "my bad," let's try this again?

*** cheating refers to putting an ineligible and outside of the rules product on the field AND cheating those insufferable fools that committed to UNC out of a meaningful education, the latter being the more damaging IMO.

Did the NCAA do an investigation or just accept the internal UNC-ch investigation? I was under the assumption it was an internal. Could be wrong.

Right now it isn't being wholly ignored and UNC is having to address it, however impotently. My point is that it's just a blip on the radar. A speed bump on their highway. In time, this will fade into the past. Come their next Final Four or major bowl game, this will be something only vaguely remembered. Especially when you realize other schools are going to be quiet about it for fears something similar is festering under their own institutional rock.

Did the NCAA do an investigation or just accept the internal UNC-ch investigation? I was under the assumption it was an internal. Could be wrong.

There were NCAA investigators on campus that somehow missed the whole fake class, grade changes, ineligible athletes, money being funneled by boosters, agents on campus, players living in homes owned by coaches, etc

I have to think the NCAA doesn't really want one of their marquis programs coming under the gun. The world loves a good sports team and the world is very, very forgiving. We can overlook lots of details, right?

got around to watching a documentary on netflix last night called "Schooled - the Price of College Sports". Had no idea the stuff at UNC was going to be a centerpiece of the whole film. Dirty

They might be forced to do so if the prof talks, which is why this thing now has legs nationally. UNC now represents what is wrong with the entire NCAA system and will be in the news given the indictment. The NCAA pretends it's for the athletes but really in the end cheats them. UNC is becoming the poster child for what is wrong and no other school could really be put there because no one really acts as arrogant about it, even in the face of all these issues. It's poetic in a way.

I have to think the NCAA doesn't really want one of their marquis programs coming under the gun. The world loves a good sports team and the world is very, very forgiving. We can overlook lots of details, right?

And now that they've brushed over the first investigation, they're now in bed with UNC to save face. Which is why Nyang’oro testifying about the details of their academic fraud would be especially interesting. It would be quite embarrassing for both of them.

They might be forced to do so if the prof talks, which is why this thing now has legs nationally. UNC now represents what is wrong with the entire NCAA system and will be in the news given the indictment. The NCAA pretends it's for the athletes but really in the end cheats them. UNC is becoming the poster child for what is wrong and no other school could really be put there because no one really acts as arrogant about it, even in the face of all these issues. It's poetic in a way.

The thing is, no one has talked yet (except for McAdoo and he can barely speak or read English). The tutor didn't talk. I understand the prof is up under criminal charges but I'm sure UNC is providing him the best legal defense possible.

And now that they've brushed over the first investigation, they're now in bed with UNC to save face. Which is why Nyang’oro testifying about the details of their academic fraud would be especially interesting. It would be quite embarrassing for both of them.

IMHO - they are viewed by the NCAA as "Too Big To Fail". Notice the column said, hundreds of classes dating back into the 1990s. Those guys over at NCSU may be correct in that UNC-CH took some early blame to keep it isolated to football - when in actually it was a process dating to the basketball program and Saint Dean.

At a meeting once, I asked John Swofford a question of this general nature - his answer was "the NCAA does not have subpoena power".

Especially when you realize other schools are going to be quiet about it for fears something similar is festering under their own institutional rock.

it's probably more than fears

it's probably more than fears

I do believe most administrations take the Penn State approach:

"Uh, Mr. University President? Can I talk to you?"

"Well, I guess coach, what's up? Wait- is this going to cause me indigestion and butthurt?"

"Well, uh, probably."

"In that case, see my secretary for an appointment. I'm not here right now."

Back