• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BUZZ IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome. Apparently we depend on the walkons to lead this team.

Good write-up and it definitely sounds like it was a fun experience. The walk-ons are bo$$es, I have nothing but respect for them.

Good article. Thanks for writing and posting.
There actually seems to be some good things happening. Hope we have good support this weekend for our hoops team as well as for our Junior Day football recruits

The funniest thing that probably happened during our stint there was when Nikita dunked the ball as the game wound down. One of the players (who shall remain nameless, but is an integral player) turned around and asked us in no lame terms who dunked the ball. After the answer, he happened to be right next to Coach Gregory for the postgame handshake where he said point blank, "I apologize for the actions of my teammate Coach." Not only was it completely sincere, but it was also absolutely hilarious because Coach Gregory seemingly didn't care at all and he only wanted to talk about how well that player had played during the game.

CULTURE CHANGE

When I worked at Wake I had the good fortune to do the guest coach thing at both a basketball game and football game. It is really quite an experience. The Caldwell/Odom years. They were both very good people. And you really do appreciate the fact that no matter the record, these kids want to win. And I saw both ends of the spectrum... a great basketball team and a bad football team.

My only question is how someone born in 1990 grew up idolizing Chill, who graduated in 1995.

I have a 5 year old nephew and it's unclear that he could understand the difficulty in averaging over 30 ppg in a conference tournament.

Last edited:
The funniest thing that probably happened during our stint there was when Nikita dunked the ball as the game wound down. One of the players (who shall remain nameless, but is an integral player) turned around and asked us in no lame terms who dunked the ball. After the answer, he happened to be right next to Coach Gregory for the postgame handshake where he said point blank, "I apologize for the actions of my teammate Coach." Not only was it completely sincere, but it was also absolutely hilarious because Coach Gregory seemingly didn't care at all and he only wanted to talk about how well that player had played during the game.

CULTURE CHANGE

Why would you want a player that showed class to remain nameless?

Language of the question, not wanting to incite any tensions, general anonymity is better, etc. It's pretty obvious which player it was anyway from the rest of the paragraph.

My only question is how someone born in 1990 grew up idolizing Chill, who graduated in 1995.

I have a 5 year old nephew and it's unclear that he could understand the difficulty in averaging over 30 ppg in a conference tournament.

I was born in 1989, and though I didn't really "grow up idolizing" chill, what he did for wake forest was pretty special to me even before I was 10 years old. I will say Tim Duncan was the player I "grew up idolizing" though. Chill was like a very recent legend during my childhood, but I can honestly say I don't remember watching a game he played (i'm sure I did, but I was like 6 years old), Duncan was someone I actually remember watching play at wake. So, perhaps BSD has a better memory than me, or he is just remembering the "recent legend" kind of like I did.

I clearly remember watching the Wake-UNC ACC championship game and I don't know if the writer can say the same, but it is pretty clear that Demon's trolling and being an ass.

Skip Brown graduated two years before I arrived at Wake from the midwest and I knew absolutely nothing about him. Of course, there were three channels and no internet back then.

It's highly unlikely the writer idolizes chill because he remembers his playing days fondly. He was going into Kindergarten when Chill was wearing a Blazers uniform. Apparently this means I'm a troll.

On an article of 2300 words you chose to pick out one point that "stood out" to you which questioned the writer and talk about it on the thread. I would definitely consider that trolling.

Unless we are prepared to say the article was fabricated it gives a picture of the program that is decidedly different from what we have been led to believe.

Unless we are prepared to say the article was fabricated it gives a picture of the program that is decidedly different from what we have been led to believe.

I know the article wasn't fabricated but I don't think it changes much, it just means that the coaches and players aren't totally incompetent which I don't think anyone necessarily thought they were...just that they aren't going to get the job done for Wake Forest standards

I know the article wasn't fabricated but I don't think it changes much, it just means that the coaches and players aren't totally incompetent which I don't think anyone necessarily thought they were...just that they aren't going to get the job done for Wake Forest standards

Yes but it indicates that a program is being built through teaching young players. It also argues against the accusation that this staff has lost the team and that the morale is horrible. Our success on the court must improve! However we must have better talent and the talent we have must be developed. Honesty, it seems to me, would admit that this team is simply not going to do much better than it is doing no matter who the coach is. However, this article would indicate that there is something positive and hopeful happening. Many have postulated that nothing good or hopeful is occurring.

The 'experience' was during 1 of the 4 conference wins the team has had in ~30 tries with Bz on the bench; you don't think the feel around the team is different when they're getting blown-out (which lets face it... Is the vast majority of the time in conference play)?

Ive had the same 'experience' of sitting on the bench; and I'll just say that I don't believe BSD's article was fabricated... But the picture of the team that's been painted here is not decidedly different than what's actually going on in the program.

Pretty much: you're drawing the wrong conclusion. It's a good article but needs to be taken in the context of the rare W that came out of that night.

Back