• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Buzz on FT Shooting

Almost every comment here is the same: hate Bz or hate Wellman or hate both.
Any other comment brings predictable disdain.

Nonetheless, Wake played really well on the defensive end. And the set plays are much better than in the past (I mean in years and years past). There is not a great deal more that a staff can do to coach free throw shooting except to teach technique and require repetitions. It's a confidence and concentration issue in games.

My primary criticism has to do with the failure to have guys ready to play from the opening tap. We have started games miserably for the most part. That is a coaching issue. Plus I question the philosophy of trying to bury teams early with the 3. If you are hitting it is not such a bad thing; but it seems better to go inside early and build confidence seeing the ball go through the net from down low.

Let the ridicule begin.

So given your last paragraph, why would you question the facts you stated in the first two?

There's a reason why almost every comment is hate for Bz or Ron. They've earned it.

Similarly, there's a reason why those who support them get ridicule. They've earned it. Supporting Bz and Ron is an illogical position. There's a ton of evidence saying they aren't good at what they do.

All opinions are not equally valid. It's just a fact of life.

How do you think we are and have been performing at the free throw line since Buzz got here? How do his comments today affect your perception of that question?

Obviously Bz is not going to impress many people from a PR stand point. He could use some major coaching himself in that regard. I am not sure what he was saying in that quote. However it is pretty obvious that free throw shooting is on the players. Last season we were pretty good, thanks to CJ.

I'm not an apologist for Bz; however, there needs to be some objectivity and civility in our discussions. This is the 1st season since he has been at Wake that we can legitimately expect to see decent basketball. There is clear improvement; but we won't know how much actual improvement until we are playing the conference schedule. I do think that the man knows basketball. Clearly his credentials as a coach of basketball are highly suspect. But I want Wake to win now and I don't care who coaches them. If he can't get it done, bring in someone who can. But let's be honest, before this year there was no chance of having a winning record...none, no matter who coached them.

We just averaged .9 Points Per Possession against the 11th worst defense in the entire country. That is horrendous.

the difference is that we are getting really good shots off the set pieces...making them, well that is another matter.

This is the 1st season since he has been at Wake that we can legitimately expect to see decent basketball.

Clearly his credentials as a coach of basketball are highly suspect...If he can't get it done, bring in someone who can.

I vehemently disagree with the first part. The man absolutely failed with his first recruiting class. What was the limiting factor, outside of his control, that forced him to bring in a class the caliber of Fischer/Fields/Green? Bringing in an even decent class would have expedited our return to a competitive level.

As for the second part, you're basically saying the same thing everyone else is. So what's the problem? You just want us to be nicer about it?

Why did Bz recruit all these players who struggle with free throws? It's the same FT line they had when Bz was scouting them.

I vehemently disagree with the first part. The man absolutely failed with his first recruiting class. What was the limiting factor, outside of his control, that forced him to bring in a class the caliber of Fischer/Fields/Green? Bringing in an even decent class would have expedited our return to a competitive level.

As for the second part, you're basically saying the same thing everyone else is. So what's the problem? You just want us to be nicer about it?

No the big difference is that I am OK with him being the coach so long as he produces a winner. I want wins now. I really like this team and I want them to win now and it's OK with me if they win with Bz. Winning, without cheating, is my concern. Hating Bz and wanting him to fail is not part of my thinking.

However if he cannot win...

He's going to fail whether we want him to or not.

Why did Bz recruit all these players who struggle with free throws? It's the same FT line they had when Bz was scouting them.

I believe that I have read that Madison was a 70% ft shooter in high school. He is the worst on the team now. If that stat is accurate I'm not sure how you predict or explain it.

No the big difference is that I am OK with him being the coach so long as he produces a winner. I want wins now. I really like this team and I want them to win now and it's OK with me if they win with Bz. Winning, without cheating, is my concern. Hating Bz and wanting him to fail is not part of my thinking.

However if he cannot win...

Again, I don't see the issue here. You are cool with him being the coach as long as he produces a winner. And if he can't, he should be gone. But he isn't producing a winner, even in Year Four, and history says he can't. So just embrace the fact that you think he shouldn't be the coach.

As for the rest, I think you (and others) are grossly overestimating the proportion of fans who want him to fail, or who want Wake to fail so he will fail. Wanting him to fail is essentially irrelevant, as Ph said. He has, is, and will fail anyway.

I believe that I have read that Madison was a 70% ft shooter in high school. He is the worst on the team now. If that stat is accurate I'm not sure how you predict or explain it.

Coaching?

Speaking of free throw shooting, anyone remember seeing clips of Wilt Chamberlain shooting underhand? Guys would probably find it too humiliating to shoot like that now, but I am convinced that some of our guys would do better using that technique.

This.

We just barely beat the 315th ranked team in the country at home. There are junior college teams that would beat UNCG. There is no room for praise after this game.

As to free throws, even if Bz sounds like a dick, that's on the players. You're ACC basketball players, have some pride and make 70% of your free throws.

I would argue about how many of our players are really ACC caliber.

Speaking of coaching, Davidson is leading UNC with 17 min. remaining.

Pretty much everyone on here knows Roy is a shitty coach. Even so they will beat us like a drum again this year.

Bz is such a piece of shit. Not sure how anyone would think that it's appropriate to be a condescending assclown with his track record of being a pathetic loser. Such a powerful combo.

And 89DeaconMike give me a break dude. The guy is an absolutely terrible basketball coach and a pompous asshole. Yet he gets paid more than $1mm a year to coach ACC basketball at a school that fielded a number 1 team two years before he was hired. Outside of physical assault I don't give a shit how mean our fans are to him.

Speaking of free throw shooting, anyone remember seeing clips of Wilt Chamberlain shooting underhand? Guys would probably find it too humiliating to shoot like that now, but I am convinced that some of our guys would do better using that technique.

Wilt tried everything including standing about two feet behind the free throw line at one point. Rick Barry, on the other hand, was a lifetime 89% free throw shooter using the underhand method.

What was it he makes like 3500 a day wrap your head around that. Though I kinda want buzz to embrace the villain. Just win baby while at the same time troll the fan base. The ties get uglier, the wins keep coming, buzz drops some hate about ogboards indirectly, throws players under the bus, beats duke, start referring himself in the third person as the bzdelick, get some press conference intro music, all out wwe style

No excuse for shitting free throw shooting today. Some reasonably good FT shooters missed a lot today too.

It would have helped if CMM had went to the line more like he has been. That's helps our percentages a lot.

I don't understand why foulshooting is so bad in general now a days. You'd think guys that have been playing ball since they were little kids could do better.

Back