• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Buzz or Russell Turner

Where did his name come up? Just woke up to two threads on the front page about him...where was this info brought up?
Fittingly(?) it's buried midway through the thread titled "Don't blame the messenger! - Marc with a C saying Buzz is Back!" Took me a while to find it.

Too great of a risk with Turner. If our next coaching hire fails we are in serious trouble as a program. We still have yet to damage or long-term brand even with Bz's failures however if we hire another failure, we are looking at a seriously long come back ... probably another decade before we have am opportunity to be a top program again.

We have serious recruiting advantages right now with Chris Paul as one of the faces of the NBA. We simply cannot waste that on the mediocre hire.

If this guy got the job, guess he would get the mandatory assistant package, LaRue, Childress, etc???

Hiring Turner would be a major disappointment. Keeping [Redacted] around for another year would be worse. If Wellman hires Turner, it seems almost inconceivable that Larue and Childress would not be retained. Wellman is the guy making this decision, so I'm preparing for the inconceivable.

Anyone with a brain knows we need a complete sweep of our staff. We need new assistants just as much as we need a new head coach. Everyone must go. A new coach doesn't need to be teaching his staff at the same time he is teaching his players. He doesn't need favoritism towards assistants while trying to instill his philosophy.

Wellman is am idiot of he keeps the current assistants as a group. You might keep one to maintain some continuity but I would prefer a clean sweep.

I have followed Wake Forest Basketball since the Jack McCloskey days. I would rank the head coaches from best to worst in the following order.
Dave Odom, Carl Tacy, Skip Prosser, Dino Gaudio, Jack McCloskey, Jeff [Redacted], Bob Staak.

I don't understand of all the hate toward Russell Turner. Giving the reigns of the basketball program to a former Odom assistant does not guarantee success, but it does give hope, imo. Is all the hate because hiring Turner doesn't give some of you someone to brag about to your Carolina, Duke, and State acquaintances / friends? I've always felt this was the reason a lot of people on here were pissed when Wellman didn't pursue/get Brad Stephens 4 years ago.

I'd like to get a young, hungry coach who wants to be at Wake Forest. I would like to see us get the basketball version of Dave Clawson.

Given only these two options, Turner a hundred bazillion times.

What's the source saying Turner is the favorite?

Brett Reed has a much greater chance of getting this job than Russell Turner.

It'd be funny seeing everyone's opinion change if Irvine pulls an upset in two weeks

I had a negative experience with RT at West End Cafe 11 yrs ago, therefore I do not support this hire.

I have followed Wake Forest Basketball since the Jack McCloskey days. I would rank the head coaches from best to worst in the following order.
Dave Odom, Carl Tacy, Skip Prosser, Dino Gaudio, Jack McCloskey, Jeff [Redacted], Bob Staak.

I don't understand of all the hate toward Russell Turner. Giving the reigns of the basketball program to a former Odom assistant does not guarantee success, but it does give hope, imo. Is all the hate because hiring Turner doesn't give some of you someone to brag about to your Carolina, Duke, and State acquaintances / friends? I've always felt this was the reason a lot of people on here were pissed when Wellman didn't pursue/get Brad Stephens 4 years ago.

I'd like to get a young, hungry coach who wants to be at Wake Forest. I would like to see us get the basketball version of Dave Clawson.

Was at Wake 86-90 - I cannot justify Buzz ahead of Staak. This train wreck is much worse. Agree with the rest . . .

I had a negative experience with RT at West End Cafe 11 yrs ago, therefore I do not support this hire.

What happened 11 years ago? He's from Roanoke and played AAU hoops for a friend of mine. I don't know much about him but have heard he is a good person.

Turner was a douche when he played intramural hoops FWIW. Pretty sure Wrangor could vouch for that also.

It'd be funny seeing everyone's opinion change if Irvine pulls an upset in two weeks

So true! He's a good fit in a lot of ways and I liked to see the video of him dunking recently. However, too big a gamble in my opinion given the state of our program.

Back