• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Buzz Williams

Whit Babcock (their AD) is the antithesis of Wellman. He prodded Beamer out the door before things got any worse but worked a deal to keep Beamer's best coordinator. He hired a football head coach who won 10 games his first year. He ran off the women's bb coach from the previous administration and hired a successful replacement who, in his first year, has VT women undefeated and in the Top 20. And, he somehow convinced Buzz Williams to come to Blacksburg to replace a guy who the previous AD had hired and who Babcock fired after only two years ... none of this let a mistake run until the program is decimated like a certain Wake AD is prone to do. And, to the point of this thread - yes, Buzz Williams is a helluva coach and a helluva man.

Whit Babcock (their AD) is the antithesis of Wellman. He prodded Beamer out the door before things got any worse but worked a deal to keep Beamer's best coordinator. He hired a football head coach who won 10 games his first year. He ran off the women's bb coach from the previous administration and hired a successful replacement who, in his first year, has VT women undefeated and in the Top 20. And, he somehow convinced Buzz Williams to come to Blacksburg to replace a guy who the previous AD had hired and who Babcock fired after only two years ... none of this let a mistake run until the program is decimated like a certain Wake AD is prone to do. And, to the point of this thread - yes, Buzz Williams is a helluva coach and a helluva man.

Well said.

Buzz Williams got handed a worse situation than DM and they are a top 25 team. They are also doing this without big name recruits. Coaching matters a lot and we don't have it. Props to VT for showing what a real rebuild is supposed to look like.

buzz is a class act. compare that to the fraud k

I watched a fair amount of the ass whipping VT put on Duke. Their players aren't burger boys but compared to ours they play like men, with heart and grit. Like a poor man's Villanova. I can't see them blowing a lead against a crap team like Clemson, even if they went ice cold from the field.

Buzz Williams got handed a worse situation than DM and they are a top 25 team. They are also doing this without big name recruits. Coaching matters a lot and we don't have it. Props to VT for showing what a real rebuild is supposed to look like.

The bold isn't true. Buzz isn't landing the Harry Giles of the world, but he is getting his share of 3 and 4 star recruits and got the likes of Seth Allen to transfer in. And I believe he has a pair of 4* guards coming in next year. He has outrecruited Manning, and his recruiting compares favorably with Bennett. The VT/UVA tilts should be great for years going forward. The only time in the past you could have said that was when VT had Bimbo Coles and Wally Lancaster.

I watched a fair amount of the ass whipping VT put on Duke. Their players aren't burger boys but compared to ours they play like men, with heart and grit. Like a poor man's Villanova. I can't see them blowing a lead against a crap team like Clemson, even if they went ice cold from the field.

Their 1 loss this year had them blowing a 17 point lead to Texas A&M - was nauseating to watch. But other than that, they have been a good watch this year.

I root for VTech anyway - my Dad's alma mater, but one of the things I appreciate about Danny Manning is I don't think he would have staged that teaching moment for multiple cameras as Buzz did. This was 2 shakes of program promotion with a dash of a teaching moment. He would have doubled or tripled the teaching moment without the professional camera crew IMO.

Also, hey Buzz, get your hands out of your fucking pockets when trying to teach kids how to be men. Grown men don't go around pointing with their hands crammed down into their track suit pockets.

My two cents

Also, would have been impressive if he had been able to add in the complexities of the anthem protests over the last 12 months - acknowledging the black lives matter movement. A tall task for sure, but doable. The pointing with the hands stuffed in his pockets is a move that would put black men's lives at risk if they do the same in some places.

Anyway, not impressed with the video. Impressed with Buzz as a recruiter and a basketball coach though.

Last edited:
The point everyone is missing is that Wake Forest is not known in the collegiate sports community for having winning programs but Wake Forest plays with character and sportsmanship. This is the Wake Forest way. Go Deacs!

I was impressed with Buzz when he was at Marquette. Not sure how old this video is but I have watched before a while back. I agree about his hands Jaybone. Kind of a nit pick but I agree. I disagree with your statements on black lives matter however. This moment was not about that, at least in my eyes. Regardless of all that, I have liked me some Buzz for a while.

Buzz is a great coach and VT is very lucky to have him. I think people are overstating how big of a move it was to get Buzz Williams to coach basketball at Virginia Tech. If he had another mediocre season at Marquette, he was probably going to be shown the door. He simply decided to keep collecting a check at a football school that has zero expectations for their bball program. He can wait around until another big job comes open, which most Hokies I've talked to acknowledge that is what he is doing.

I recall some people on here laughing at the thought of VT getting a big name hire for their bball team.

I root for VTech anyway - my Dad's alma mater, but one of the things I appreciate about Danny Manning is I don't think he would have staged that teaching moment for multiple cameras as Buzz did. This was 2 shakes of program promotion with a dash of a teaching moment. He would have doubled or tripled the teaching moment without the professional camera crew IMO.

Also, hey Buzz, get your hands out of your fucking pockets when trying to teach kids how to be men. Grown men don't go around pointing with their hands crammed down into their track suit pockets.

My two cents

Also, would have been impressive if he had been able to add in the complexities of the anthem protests over the last 12 months - acknowledging the black lives matter movement. A tall task for sure, but doable. The pointing with the hands stuffed in his pockets is a move that would put black men's lives at risk if they do the same in some places.

Anyway, not impressed with the video. Impressed with Buzz as a recruiter and a basketball coach though.

Great points. I also think one of his shoes may have been untied.

This

Back