• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BuzzOut ad: OG&B, Darren Rovell RT, Yahoo, WXII, NYT, USA Today, CBS Sports

Meh, i guess. Part of the editorial function is to marshall conversation in your publication. That implies a certain amount of editorial discretion, so i think Hillary is wrong to act like theyd just run anything.

That said, the conversation surrounding BuzzOut is totally legitimate and deserves a voice. Thats why Hillary ran it. Not because shes wprried about precedent. If some white supremacists approached her for ad space, she would rightly turn them down.

I disagree with a couple of your points. First, I didn't realize there was an editorial function of ad sales, beyond being able to fund your editorial voice. Editorial discretion, as she framed it, only goes as far as to limit obscenity. I agree that the line about precedent was probably more CYA than her actual thinking.

So it only costs $260 to get a full effort from the team. If you believe the players were upset by the ad.

I disagree with a couple of your points. First, I didn't realize there was an editorial function of ad sales, beyond being able to fund your editorial voice. Editorial discretion, as she framed it, only goes as far as to limit obscenity. I agree that the line about precedent was probably more CYA than her actual thinking.

This is what I get for making posts while at a bar.

My basic beef was the whole "precedent" thing. I read over the part about her already saying that they'd reject obscenity, in which case decisions about obscenity have to be made and you still don't get around the "precedent" problem.

I do think there's an editorial nature to ad sales though, insofar as a newspaper has limited space and can't always discriminate solely based on price. What do you do when you have 5 half-page slots and 7 people want them?

Run the first 5 ads and then tell the other 2 people that you'll run it the next week because you sold out of slots?

Yeah anybody who has worked in high school/college paper ad sales (note: not me) will tell you you're not exactly pushing people away from advertising you.

Another hypo: ad positioning. Is there an editorial function to this? Same with political advertising - do you allow all of it, or just some of it? I seriously think there are papers out there that would think twice about running certain political ads, even if they meet the "objective" criteria.

I just don't think an editor is such an objective figure with regard to ad sales. People make little decisions all the time that affect the conversation, and we should own up to it. No "ooo, dangerous precedent, the boogie-man!" stuff. I would have been happier if she had just said, "this ad meets our criteria, and therefore have no reason to reject it. Moreover, it's a pretty big deal that we agree with."

I missed this yesterday; I like Yahoo's headline.

KuKvrp8.jpg

Editorial and advertising should have no interaction. I work at my local paper, and this is how it goes. I'm sure the OGB doesn't have that luxury, but that young ladies comment seem a little off base. Nonetheless, I applaud her for running the ad.

I believe VPI is a horrible team.

Sure a horrible team with 4 ACC wins compared to our massive 6.

GT was horrible in the Joel, MD was not much better. We were worse in both cases.

VT was bad but we also played well, we probably should have won by 30 but we seemed to lose interest in playing defense in the second half (they shot 58% in the second half).

Not to mention, every time the bzzout movement plans an action for a game the Deacs play well. Based on that we need 4 bzzout promo's in G'boro next week (of course then bzz would get a long term contract).

VT was bad but we also played well, we probably should have won by 30 but we seemed to lose interest in playing defense in the second half (they shot 58% in the second half).

This is really true.

I'll take 21 assists on 29 made baskets any day, no matter the opponent.

Defensive intensity for the entire 40 minutes would be nice too. Should have won by 20 today.

Ad was just mentioned on The Sports Junkies in DC this AM. Just a passing reference but they did quote some of Bzzz's stealer stats that I am sure they got from the website.

They aren't the ones who pay his salary.

All Wellman, the public. BOT , etc., see is a couple of young guys. There is no broad group. There are no Wake people they see. It makes it much easier to dismiss them.

Again you can think what what you, but perception is major part of any movement.

you are so fucking wrong about this it's not even funny. As small as Wake is, if we are ever to succeed you better have the support of the community, and embrace that community. Who do you think we run those crappy commercials for? The 500 alumni scattered across Forsyth County. IslandDeac is absolutely right. If the AD doesn't understand that, we have much bigger issues. Hell schools like duke make sure their alumni have those marching orders, "Every one in Durham is a Blue Devil." 90% of Duke, UNC, Bama, Vtech etc. fans never took a class there; and they are fully embraced.

FYI stop referring to residents of Winston Salem as "townies," it's incredibly disrespectful and ignorant: it's the 5th largest city in NC. For the record, Im not butt hurt or anything (i'm from Dallas,TX, only knew WS for school and now work) but it's just classless and reflects being sheltered. Shit like this let's me know were in the minors. If there are actually people in the Admin who think it is ever a good idea to disenfranchise ANYBODY, then were so lost, discussing Wake Athletics is a moot point. We are already William & Mary, we don't understand the rules of the big boys.

Last edited:
Ignore RJ (I know, I should take my own advice)...he's just pissed someone else is stealing the attention he craves. The same guy who seriously recommended dropping off toilets at the Joel is doing his best to tear down an idea that had gone National, garnering tons of press. He can't stand that it wasn't his idea and that it was embraced by the broad support of fellow Wake fans in spirit, and raised over $2400 from 100+ people in a matter of hours.

Back