• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

California School Apologizes For Black History Month Menu

Really...what American does not love fried chicken? That stereotype just needs to die.

A) when did it become/why is it a stereotype of black people and B) why is it a negative stereotype? honest questions. like i remember having tacos on cinco de mayo in school. what gives

A) when did it become/why is it a stereotype of black people and B) why is it a negative stereotype? honest questions. like i remember having tacos on cinco de mayo in school. what gives

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...43851091.html?_osource=SocialFlowTwt_BAYBrand

The reason this particular meal sparks bad feelings, she said, is because Blackface-era cartoons and plays showed African Americans eating these foods in ugly caricature depictions.

RogerSterlingBlackFace1.jpg

<the pyramind>Things Fuzzy Zoeller might say</the pyramid>

I'd love a meal of fried chicken, watermelon, and cornbread.
#crackermeal

It was probably white people who freaked out about it more than black people.

It's probably not cool to do a black history month menu at school unless you're willing to deal with the backlash. And fried chicken sounds a lot better than some of the other options.

They don't want anybody to associate them with the white people who came up with the stereotype. Valid reason.

Whenever I hear the stereotype I think of something Bomani Jones once said. Basically he said, yeah where I'm from everyone loves fried chicken. You know where I'm from? Earth.

I mean, what would a black history month menu realistically be?

How did they not think this would be a bad idea?

Fuck that noise. Black people don't have the monopoly on good food. I'll fucking buzz through some chicken-n-waffles, collards, okra, callaloo, ox tail, curry goat, cornbread, and goddamned Kool Aid.

You know that scene in The Godfather where the Corleones are sitting around the table, plotting the hits on McCluskey and Sollozzo, and they're all eating Chinese food? Good food has no borders.

Doesn't shit like this happen every year?

Back