• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

California School Apologizes For Black History Month Menu

Fuck that noise. Black people don't have the monopoly on good food. I'll fucking buzz through some chicken-n-waffles, collards, okra, callaloo, ox tail, curry goat, cornbread, and goddamned Kool Aid.

You know that scene in The Godfather where the Corleones are sitting around the table, plotting the hits on McCluskey and Sollozzo, and they're all eating Chinese food? Good food has no borders.

I've never seen callaloo on a menu in this country and rarely have heard other folks talk of it. I have a callaloo soup recipe that I love that is coconut milk based with crab and okra, and I use spinach and bok choy as a replacement because I've never seen callaloo leaves. One of my all time favorite soups.

I've never seen callaloo on a menu in this country and rarely have heard other folks talk of it. I have a callaloo soup recipe that I love that is coconut milk based with crab and okra, and I use spinach and bok choy as a replacement because I've never seen callaloo leaves. One of my all time favorite soups.

Our friends in the Caymans grow it almost like a weed. We don't even go to our house first before stopping and picking up a huge bag out of someone's garden. It would easily grow in the southern climate; I've always wondered why people here don't grow it. Sautee it like spinach, toss in some chopped scotch bonnets, a little butter or olive oil, pinch of nutmeg, salt, and you're good to go.

Our friends in the Caymans grow it almost like a weed. We don't even go to our house first before stopping and picking up a huge bag out of someone's garden. It would easily grow in the southern climate; I've always wondered why people here don't grow it. Sautee it like spinach, toss in some chopped scotch bonnets, a little butter or olive oil, pinch of nutmeg, salt, and you're good to go.

One of my friends was born in the Caribbean and he told me about it, so I looked it up and made it for a dinner party and have been making it ever since. Sautee onion, white bok choy parts, okra and then garlic. Add chicken stock, thyme, salt and cayenne and spinach and bok choy leaves and cook till tender. Then add coconut milk and fake crab (you could also use claw meat to be cool but I wouldn't waste the $$ on special or lump crab meat). Great soup. Do you think my spinach and bok choy is a decent replacement or would you use something different that we can get around these parts?

recipe sounds great until the krab. may have to try.

http://www.atlantamagazine.com/covereddish/2013/07/24/a-summertime-spinach-substitute

Nice find. I love spinach but callaloo is better, IMO. You have to cook the hell out of it- the longer it cooks, the more flavor it takes on. But it doesn't shrink down/give off as much water as spinach does. I may just start growing it myself. Make some curry goat or jerk chicken and a nice tall glass of rum and lime.

come summer, gas up your kart and head to lilburn. i bet that farmer will spread some of his seed on you

Back