• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Camp to Ravens

Kubiak loves extra tight ends and does not use a slot receiver or.........? They may dress 4 WR each game. Camp could return the ball once Jacoby Jones gets hurt.

Guys #6-10 on your list are camp fodder. Deonte is on the outs as far as the organization is concerned. He's fast, but he's a body catcher who isn't the greatest route runner. LaQuan is a good kid and shows something in the preseason but hasn't been able to show anything in the regular season or stick with a team for long - more of a ST player. The other guy competing for a WR spot will be Mellette, last year's 7th round choice, who was stored on IR or the PS last year, forget which. Camp should make the roster easily if healthy as long as he doesn't throw up all over himself in August. But if Mellette shows something, and Camp is nicked up, maybe there's a chance they stash him on IR this year and make him active next year to eventually take over for Smith in the slot.

Seventh-round wide receiver Michael Campanaro, a River Hill graduate, injured his hamstring and was unable to practice during the rookie minicamp along with fourth-round defensive end Brent Urban. Urban had ankle surgery in February. He might be cleared by late May or early June and is expected to be fully ready by training camp in July.
"We did have one injury, Michael Campanaro," Harbaugh said. "That was before we even started the minicamp. He tweaked his hamstring during the second day, so he's going to have to work that back into shape. Hopefully, he'll be back out there next week."

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/...elined-20140517,0,2695862.story#ixzz3248KfUJs

Baltimore sun article:
The sideline pass from Ravens backup quarterback Tyrod Taylor initially looked out of reach until rookie wide receiver Michael Campanaro leapt high to execute a diving, acrobatic catch in front of safety Jeromy Miles.
The impressive catch by the seventh-round draft pick during a June practice drew attention from team officials, building confidence in the River Hill graduate.

“I think plays like that just help show the coaches what I’m capable of,” Campanaro told The Baltimore Sun in a telephone interview this week. “This training camp, I’ve got to be more confident and keep making big plays like that. I’m pumped.”

As the Ravens’ rookie class reported for training camp Wednesday with the first full-team practice set for July 24, Campanaro is looking to continue the progress he’s made.

Since recovering from a pulled hamstring that prevented him from practicing during a rookie minicamp and an organized team activity the following week, Campanaro regularly displayed sound hands and elusiveness.

“I feel pretty good about everything,” Campanaro said. “I was definitely a little bit behind at first because of the injury. After I got over that, I was able to go out and show the coaches what I can do. It took a while, but now that I’m 100 percent I’m definitely looking forward to training camp. I’m healthy and I have that extra gear that you miss when you’re dealing with a leg injury.

“I could have got hurt a lot worse, so it was kind of like a battle as far as knowing when to push it and when to fall back. At one of the minicamp days in June, it was kind of bothering me and halfway through the practice we kind of shut it down and they didn’t have me do as much stuff. We just wanted to get it healthy instead of having to go back to square one.”

Ravens coach John Harbaugh has made it a point to subject Campanaro to some good-natured needling about the lingering hamstring injury.

“Coach Harbaugh told me he’s not going to stop giving me crap about my hamstring,” Campanaro said with a laugh. “He told me until I score a touchdown for him that he’s going to keep giving me crap.”

When the Ravens drafted Campanaro after trading their 2015 sixth-round draft pick to the Cleveland Browns to acquire him with the 218th overall selection, they envisioned him fulfilling the role as a classic slot wide receiver in the mold of Denver Broncos wide receiver Wes Welker.

Campanaro also figures to get a long look on special teams as a kick returner and covering kicks.

“He should have a chance to contribute,” Ravens assistant general manager Eric DeCosta said after the draft. “There’s a need for a guy like him. He has a unique skill set. We think he brings something different to the team and we think he can compete.”

Shifty and quick at 5-foot-9, 185 pounds, Campanaro ran the 40-yard dash time in 4.46 seconds, posted a 39-inch vertical leap and bench pressed 225 pounds 20 times at the NFL scouting combine. The Clarksville native caught a school-record 229 passes for 2,506 yards and 14 touchdowns during a prolific career at Wake Forest.

Now, the Howard County resident is hoping to make a smooth transition to the NFL.

“I think I’m just going to come in and find my role in the offense,” Campanaro said. “I want to compete and push for some playing time. I think I can help out the offense and on special teams. I’m going to try to play on every special team, go hard every day and try to find my way.”

Growing up in Maryland, Campanaro won two state championships as a standout running back, kick returner and safety. He piled up more than 6,500 total career yards and 90 touchdowns with eight kick returns for scores, rushing for 1,848 yards and 29 touchdowns as a senior.

“Ever since being drafted to Baltimore, so many fans that followed me and supported me throughout high school and college, have reached out to me,” said Campanaro, who’s signed to a four-year, $2.287 million contract that includes a $67,500 signing bonus. “Every time I’ve gone out, I’m always running into a huge Ravens fan. I did an autograph signing a few days ago and it was pretty cool.

“I was the only one signing and there were hundreds of people there to get my autograph. That was an awesome feeling. Ravens fans are some of the best in the NFL. They’re crazy about this team. It’s been great.”

Campanaro has had the benefit of being coached by receivers coach Bobby Engram, who played wide receiver in the NFL for 14 seasons and caught 650 passes for 7,751 yards and 35 touchdowns. Campanaro grew up watching Engram, a consummate possession receiver who played for the Chicago Bears, Seattle Seahawks and the Kansas City Chiefs.

“Coach Engram, he’s the man," Campanaro said. "I’ve learned the most from him since I’ve been here. It was funny. I was talking to him one day and I told him I had a bunch of his trading cards. It’s funny that he’s my coach now.”

Campanaro has also been soaking up as much knowledge as possible from veteran players, including wide receivers Torrey Smith and Steve Smith.

“From the older guys, I’m just learning how to be a professional and how to take care of your body and know your playbook,” Campanaro said. “They talk about what it takes each day when you come out to practice, how to make the team and stay on the team. Watching guys, especially Torrey Smith, who’s a pro in everything he does, it’s a great example.

“Everyone knows what Steve's capable of and why we brought him here, but he practices like he’s a rookie who’s fighting to make a team. Here’s a 35-year-old, he’s been there, done that and he’s fighting like his job’s on the line. That shows a rookie like me what it’s all about. I can’t wait for camp to start.”

We can't wait for CAMP to start either!

Ravens will be fun to watch.

Camp is going to do us all proud! Glad I got his autograph already!:thumbsup:

Really good article.
Sounds like the coaching staff think a lot of him.
Hope he becomes a star in the NFL, like he was for us at Wake.

It'd look great if we could point to Givens and Camp in the NFL as receivers to come through Wake recently. We gotta sell big skill position guys on Wake soon.

We need a star football player to come out of the program. We've had busts. We've had steady pros with long careers. We need a guy that casual fans know.

http://espn.go.com/blog/baltimore-ravens/post/_/id/12073/campanaro-avoids-upsetting-ravens-owner

Rookie Campanaro avoids awkward spot

August, 13, 2014
Aug 13

5:00

PM ET

By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

Comments(4)
Email
Print

OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- Baltimore Ravens rookie wide receiver Michael Campanaro knew something was wrong when a team official approached him during Monday's warmups.

The official wanted to know where Campanaro's father was sitting at practice because he had parked in Steve's spot.

"Steve who?" Campanaro asked.

"Steve Bisciotti," the team official responded, indicating it was a parking spot for the Ravens owner.

Campanaro's family was running late for practice and was in a rush to park in the crowded lot at the team facility. His father didn't see the "SB" in front of the spot that lets everyone know it's reserved for Bisciotti.

"I was like, I'm out here spinning my wheels," Campanaro said after Wednesday's practice. "They're going to be calling for my playbook when I get back into the locker room."

Even though Bisciotti wouldn't have really called for the rookie's release, the Ravens were able to get Campanaro's father to move his car before the owner arrived.

Campanaro's father saw the note about his parking mishap on ESPN.com and posted this on Twitter:

Campanaro, a seventh-round pick who grew up in nearby Columbia, Maryland, has gained the Ravens' attention beyond that embarrassing mishap.

His quickness and route-running has impressed the coaching staff and makes him a great fit to be a slot receiver. He made a leaping catching against starting safety Matt Elam in the end zone Wednesday.

"He's smart," offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak said. "Michael can really run so it's not like he can't go outside and do the things we want to do. He's made some big strides the last few weeks in camp. He understands what we're doing now. He's gotten over the injury bug. He's making a big push."

Campanaro's biggest challenge has been staying healthy. He's had minor setbacks with a hamstring injury in offseason workouts and a rib injury in training camp. Now, he's in position to grab one of the final spots on the 53-man roster.

"I think I've had a strong camp," Campanaro said. "I've been receiving great feedback from the coaches and older guys on the team. It's encouraging to come out each day and getting better. From the first practice I had when I arrived to now, I feel like a much improved football player."

We need a star football player to come out of the program. We've had busts. We've had steady pros with long careers. We need a guy that casual fans know.

You and I have had a bit of give and take on Smith/Camp comparison -- but it is fun to see him as Steve's understudy. :)

Btw, I also used to take a good bit of heat about my analysis of Josh Bush ;)

He's done ok.

Last edited:
You and I have had a bit of give and take on Smith/Camp comparison -- but it is fun to see him as Steve's understudy. :)

Btw, I also used to take a good bit of heat about my analysis of Josh Bush ;)

He's done ok

l.jpg

Back