• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Campus Grounds

Kory

Reaction score
http://oldgoldandblack.com/?p=35258

Thoughts? I'm fairly certain that Campus Grounds can hold their own against Einstein and Starbucks -- they were here before them and the thought of replacing it with recreation space or a juice bar is borderline senseless.

As long as it's self sustaining I don't see a reason for it to shut down. More options = better.

Although if they could put a jamba juice there.. hmmm.

http://oldgoldandblack.com/?p=35258

Thoughts? I'm fairly certain that Campus Grounds can hold their own against Einstein and Starbucks -- they were here before them and the thought of replacing it with recreation space or a juice bar is borderline senseless.

Why is it senseless? Does the campus really need 4 places serving coffee? Would focusing on a unique product actually make CG more profitable?

Oh yeah, is there any chance it can be a student run something-else, that would probably be the best situation. Students still get a chance to run/work there, and they potentially can tap into another market.

I knew lots of people who never went to campus grounds, I think Wake would be better served with another business in that space.

Why is it senseless? Does the campus really need 4 places serving coffee? Would focusing on a unique product actually make CG more profitable?

Senseless because the two products the author suggests are not unique. Recreation space is not a limited commodity at Wake, and Forest Greens/Starbucks/Campus Grounds already make smoothies.

Senseless because the two products the author suggests are not unique. Recreation space is not a limited commodity at Wake, and Forest Greens/Starbucks/Campus Grounds already make smoothies.

Does the new Shortys have pool tables, air hockey, shuffle board? Does any place on campus?

I worked at CG with a lot of my friends my senior year. I'd be bummed if it shut down.

It's student-run and managed so that's awesome. The biggest problem is how little agency they have to do much for themselves. For example, they must serve Aramark products (i.e. the drip coffee is garbage and the baked goods come from the Pit every morning) so there's no room for expansion there. The University hated us for some reason. They nearly shut us down due to being in debt until they figured out that the Aramark accountant who had inspected our earnings subtracted our expenses and never ADDED OUR PROFITS. Then they brought Starbucks on campus to compete with us.

I'd be totally cool if they'd cut ties and let it be completely student-controlled. I'm sure it's not as simple as all that but I just hate that they're forever tenuously under the thumb of the University.

I worked at CG with a lot of my friends my senior year. I'd be bummed if it shut down.

It's student-run and managed so that's awesome. The biggest problem is how little agency they have to do much for themselves. For example, they must serve Aramark products (i.e. the drip coffee is garbage and the baked goods come from the Pit every morning) so there's no room for expansion there.

It's Krankies Coffee now.

The University hated us for some reason. They nearly shut us down due to being in debt until they figured out that the Aramark accountant who had inspected our earnings subtracted our expenses and never ADDED OUR PROFITS.

Just to add your point, last year I believe CG was in the black.

Also, I'm curious as to why the writing at OG&B seems to be so terrible. The last couple things I've seen from them don't flow well and contain basic grammatical errors.

Campus Grounds, with their student baristas and overly complex drink menu, simply cannot compete with Starbucks or Einstein’s Bagels...the coffee is often burned, the lattes are unevenly heated and the wait time for your beverage is far too long.

Whoever wrote this article obviously has never been to a Starbucks because Startbucks always over-roasts their coffee and it always tastes burned.

Personally I always thought that Campus Grounds was a great meeting place on campus for when you had to work in groups.

It would be cool to make this completely autonomous by the students. Tie it in to the entrepreneurship thing and let a student board decide what to serve, if it loses money the board reassesses, etc. That would be cool business-running experience. Plus, I think students would be more interested because they could have some say. Would definitely require Aramark getting the hell out of the way.

Totally unrelated, but when I was on campus from 05-09 I remember for a brief period of time there being a hot-dog cart called the 'complement cart' that would make appearances on the Mag quad. I want to say it was $1 or $2 for a hot dog and always seemed to have a nice line. In the middle of spring one year it suddenly disappeared and someone said it had been operating outside of Aramark and Aramark had it kicked off campus. Does anyone know what I'm talking about/have more information or am I completely crazy?

It was run by outdoor pursuits and they were forced to shut down because of aaramark.

It was called the complement cart because you were paying for a compliment and they gave out a free hot dog with each compliment.

the comments are fantastic. why do we waste any time debating WF sports on this board?

Back