• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Can Clawson Ever Have a Quality D?

Need to make sure we stay strong, if the O gets into a tight rhythm our D is screwed.

Plus when things get rowdy and noisy we have a tendency to blow it on an explosive play

We don't always have to go hard on D. Sometimes that's not right to do, sometimes you have to squeeze on D, sometimes you have to say please, but sometimes you've got to say hey...

as we saw with the Army game last year, sometimes we want to do a slow mesh but we end up scoring too quickly. doing so over and over makes your D tired and not able to perform as well.
Only Wake Fans could invent the idea that scoring fast is not a way to win an athletic event. The Army game just showed Clawson he needed to fire his defensive staff and he did. Hard to imagine how bad the Army defensive plan was. And one would be insane to believe our defense today could allow 56 from Army. And if by some miracle they do, fire them too.

3rd down conversion defense 7th
First down defense 27th
Rushing defense 57th
Passing yards allowed 39th

What is our miserable fanbase basing our D blows on? Liberty is pretty damn good. Our offense sucked against them. That's what needs fixing.
Nothing wrong with the D blowing.

Only Wake Fans could invent the idea that scoring fast is not a way to win an athletic event. The Army game just showed Clawson he needed to fire his defensive staff and he did. Hard to imagine how bad the Army defensive plan was. And one would be insane to believe our defense today could allow 56 from Army. And if by some miracle they do, fire them too.
Our D blew and the Army D sucked even more, but the point stands that the D can only stand so many possessions before it gets tapped out.

I know we’ve had some disappointing outings with our D recently, but I can feel our D swelling and getting stronger. I find that pretty exciting. Ready to put some pressure on our opponents, especially in the backfield.

Heavy penetration in the backfield sounds great but if we get too aggressive it could blow up in our faces.

With our undersized D theres nothing wrong with trying to get a steady pattern of 3 and outs. That alone will be hard to do against Clemson - they’re massive up front so our size will make it tough to find the right holes to plug.

The thing about hitting the backfield hard is that if you don't get a really clean run after plowing through the front line then you can have a lot of problems down the road.

I wonder if our D would get more action if Lambert did like Les Miles and squatted down and ate grass. Grobe used to get down there and play with it, but he never ate it. So let's hope Lambert learned some new tricks while away from Wake.

We all know that Clemson's D is very strong. I don't think we can expect to ignore the finesse and technique required to get the O going. If we plan to just show up Saturday and slap our D against Clemson's were going to have some problems.

We all know that Clemson's D is very strong. I don't think we can expect to ignore the finesse and technique required to get the O going. If we plan to just show up Saturday and slap our D against Clemson's were going to have some problems.
Just hope our wide open O doesn't get pounded too hard by the Clemson D.

Back