• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Can we just demolish the upper left corner of the visitor side of BB&T?

In the students' defense for the Clemson game - the wind and cold was brutal! Having little chance of winning combined with that weather would combine to keep all but the most devoted away. In general, though, the point stands - student interest in attending athletic events has definitely waned - for all the reasons already discussed ad nauseum...

Everyone realizes the band is usually in one of those big gaps, right? Not that they would fill up that corner (the worst seats in the stadium), but it does account for a large block of open seats.

the band seemed teeny when I was there for the UVA game, at least compared to past years. is that the case.

The spirit of the Spirit of the Old Gold and Black

You mean ten years ago when we were going to the Orange Bowl and Chris Paul had just skipped out on his third year ? I can't imagine what's changed.

Look I get that 10 years ago was a different universe in terms of our success in sports.

It's completely unfair to compare 2005-2006 to 2015-2016 straight apples to apples. But when it seems like the interest level of students is maybe 5% of what it was then, even when you think about 2004 or 2005 in football, something has fundamentally changed beyond results on the field.

I'm not blaming the students but I'm interested in what the culture is now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wellman controls where the fans sit, no? Here is an idea, if you know where the cameras will be pointed, howabout he makes an effort to be sure that those seats are even reasonably filled with actual Wake fans. Do you think it is an accident that the Cameron Crazees are jumping around on TV for 96% of every Duke home game while the rest of the arena sits on their hands? Jesus Christ, dude. There is a reason why one of the first things Skip did upon arrival was rearrange where people sit for TV purposes from Wellman's sorry layout.

Right, Wellman should move the donors from the chair backs to visitor side just so things look good on TV. People want to sit on the West side for a number of reasons (it's in the shade during the August, Sept. games, it's the home side, etc.). I mean should he just close the home side and make people sit on the visitor side? When you're only 70% capacity (at best), it's going to be empty somewhere

I'm pretty sure the season tickets are cheaper on the visitor side and people still prefer the home side. Not sure what else you want him to do.

Last edited:
Good point. What about more and better giveaways for the students. Or advertise a limited amount of $2 tickets to the public the day of the game. There has to be a way to fill those seats. Especially for a game against Clemson.

This would be a great way to get those seats filled......with more Clemson fans

Move the students back to the home side of the field where they used to be and put the regular ticketholders on the TV view side, at least for night TV games when it is colder on the home side anyway. We have to be the only school in America where the alumni and townie fans show up better than the students.

Wrong. Almost school is having trouble with student attendance these days. Even Bama

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/sports/20130919/alabama-addresses-student-attendance-at-football-games

The current undergrad enrollment at WF is 4,846. Even if the entire student body attended every game (which would never happen), it would not make that much of a difference in the stadium experience. Would bet that the % of WF students that attend football games is greater than most Power V schools, but WF is the smallest school playing at this level. Generally, the small number of undergrads is a positive for WF, but it's not when comparing student attendance at football games to other Power V schools.

Over the last 20 years, WF had one run when WF football was a hot ticket: 2006 to 2008; not coincidentally, the surge in attendance occurred when WF was competing for conference championships. If you want the stadium to be full, win lots of football games. Everything else is just window dressing.

Everyone realizes the band is usually in one of those big gaps, right? Not that they would fill up that corner (the worst seats in the stadium), but it does account for a large block of open seats.

When was the photo taken? If at halftime, then no stadium is full at halftime. Do students have far left section all the way to the top, or just up to the outlets?

When was the photo taken? If at halftime, then no stadium is full at halftime. Do students have far left section all the way to the top, or just up to the outlets?

My guess would be towards the end of the 2Q. The band goes down to get ready for their HT show.

Back