• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

'Can't be with that sweet stuff'....yes folks, that just happened.

:sketch:

hmmmmmm, not sure if you are serious or not.

Well, at last a little levity. :) All I'm trying to say is yes - the comments do not jive well with the hopes of a progressive society. However, it is HARDLY an uncommon opinion based upon people I know from Boston to Miami (maybe not California, though) - and that's covering a lot of different folks from different socioeconomic backgrounds. So, the comments were: "Disappointing?" Yes. "OUTRAAAAAAGEOUS?" Hell no. And with that I'll bow out this thread ...

I'm not limiting it. I'm using it to compare and contrast things that you and others choose to compare it to in order to demonstrate that while there are shared similarities, the totality of the circumstances and results are incredibly different. People are discriminated against for a whole host of reasons from race, sex, sexual orientation, and things as menial as who your family is or isn't or what state, county, or town you grew up in. But the variances within and results of each reason for discrimination are vastly different.

You are free to disagree, but if you're going to disagree simply by saying I don't get it or implying that I'm an idiot, well then fuck that shit.
Again, pissing contest. For anyone under the age of 45, this is the civil rights issue of our time. How you feel that this issue compares to the Black civil rights movement is subjective and irrelevant, and you arent being analytical or intellectual by comparing the two, your only point in the comparison is to discredit the gay rights movement. Your attempt to backtrack and intellectualize your "argument" is pathetic, you showed your true doucheness with your original post.

Again, pissing contest. For anyone under the age of 45, this is the civil rights issue of our time. How you feel that this issue compares to the Black civil rights movement is subjective and irrelevant, and you arent being analytical or intellectual by comparing the two, your only point in the comparison is to discredit the gay rights movement. Your attempt to backtrack and intellectualize your "argument" is pathetic, you showed your true doucheness with your original post.

And you are part of the problem. People like me, who are sympathetic to gay issues but not buying into thinking every gay joke or disagreement is a big deal, are exactly the kind of people that need to be converted to "the cause" or whatever we want to call it. Instead, we get lambasted as stupid or plunked with the most misused misnomer of all time (homophobe) as attempts to turn us into pariahs are made. That is far more offensive to me than any stance on any side of the issue. You aren't going to win a lot of supporters being assholes to and shouting down the people who disagree with you.

I'm under the age of 45 and not a religious zealot at all. While how I feel the issue compares to black civil rights or other civil rights issues is most certainly subjective, it isn't irrelevant. The comparison is being made by people who have taken up the cause. It can't suddenly become irrelevant because my subjective view of the comparison differs from their subjective view. My initial reaction was founded in my belief that I subsequently articulated, or "intellectualized" as you put it. It doesn't mean I'm making shit up or backtracking. It means I took the time to explain why I feel the way I do, which is more than I got from anybody else on this thread and, frankly, more than you're going to get from 90% of the people who feel the way I do.

Anyway, this thread has run its course. Booradley's post was probably the best way to end it.

It seems like there was some debate on this thread about how many players in professional sports would accept a gay teammate. Sports Illustrated did a poll in 2006 across the four major sports. (A bit outdated by now, but it is the only poll I know of, and it never hurts to have actual numbers.)

Would you welcome an openly gay teammate?

Over 50% in each sport said "yes." (Almost 80% in the NHL, which isn't the topic here, I just think that's impressive.)

if there was only something obvious that differentiates the nhl from the nba, mlb and nfl

And you are part of the problem. People like me, who are sympathetic to gay issues but not buying into thinking every gay joke or disagreement is a big deal, are exactly the kind of people that need to be converted to "the cause" or whatever we want to call it. Instead, we get lambasted as stupid or plunked with the most misused misnomer of all time (homophobe) as attempts to turn us into pariahs are made. That is far more offensive to me than any stance on any side of the issue. You aren't going to win a lot of supporters being assholes to and shouting down the people who disagree with you.

I'm under the age of 45 and not a religious zealot at all. While how I feel the issue compares to black civil rights or other civil rights issues is most certainly subjective, it isn't irrelevant. The comparison is being made by people who have taken up the cause. It can't suddenly become irrelevant because my subjective view of the comparison differs from their subjective view. My initial reaction was founded in my belief that I subsequently articulated, or "intellectualized" as you put it. It doesn't mean I'm making shit up or backtracking. It means I took the time to explain why I feel the way I do, which is more than I got from anybody else on this thread and, frankly, more than you're going to get from 90% of the people who feel the way I do.

Anyway, this thread has run its course. Booradley's post was probably the best way to end it.

God you're being a fucking idiot. Your post that "gay people tend to bitch like women" is fucking offensive and a sterotypical generalization that's offensive to both gay people and women. Get that through your skull. I've already quoted that specific line multiple times, because that is what i'm calling you an idiot for. I honestly don't give a shit what your feelings are, and i'm not trying to bring you to any cause, i'm calling you a fucking idiot because you posted like one. I'm part of the problem? Eat shit.

He is dumb for saying it given that (1) he plays in SF, and (2) he is going to invite the criticism, especially since gay folks tend to perpetuate the stereotype and bitch like women whenever they are offended by somebody who doesn't particularly "get" (for lack of a better term) the gay lifestyle. I hardly think that Joe Flacco commenting on black people is even remotely comparable. Can we please get off the "gay marriage is the great civil rights struggle of our time"? The whole anti-gay thing in the world of athletics comes from the idea that gay dudes are going to check out your junk when you're in the shower or suddenly feel the desire to touch it or go down on you in front of 80 other straight dudes. Hardly rational behavior, but hardly along the lines of lynchings, killings, water-cannons, and slavery.

Late to the party but this may be ELC's worst post yet. It wasn'tdumb for any of the reasons you listed. It was dumb because it was fucking stupid. Not surprised by your first "meh" but this counterpoint takes the cake. Neg rep dude.

The big irony in all of this is that Culliver ended up sucking dick

Culliver sucks at football and ELC sucks at posting. They should get married.

He got a PI called against him and I said to the party last night, "Culliver just said that call was 'gay'"

I got jokes!!

It seems like there was some debate on this thread about how many players in professional sports would accept a gay teammate. Sports Illustrated did a poll in 2006 across the four major sports. (A bit outdated by now, but it is the only poll I know of, and it never hurts to have actual numbers.)

Would you welcome an openly gay teammate?

Over 50% in each sport said "yes." (Almost 80% in the NHL, which isn't the topic here, I just think that's impressive.)

Wonder what the NHL % is/would be today after a couple years of Brian Burke's advocacy.

Culliver was awful last night. Maybe if he weren't so uncomfortable around dudes he could have stuck closer to his WRs.

Back