• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Capel tells some Wake Forest Basketball Recruiting Stories

really enjoyed reading that article. Sucks that Coach Capel has ALS.

So now I can't dislike a Duke coach - what is the world coming to? I do remember him going on the UNC boards sticking up for his brother. Kind of gained some respect for him then. All the best to Coach

That is bad news about coach Capel. He was a good coach, but it sounds like he was even better as a father.

So now I can't dislike a Duke coach - what is the world coming to? I do remember him going on the UNC boards sticking up for his brother. Kind of gained some respect for him then. All the best to Coach

I always liked Capel especially since he wasn't really in the K coaching tree in his early. His dad and Wake connections helped.

Heartbreaking stuff to read especially as a dad of two boys.

Very good story. I didn't know that Capel got his college coaching start at Wake.
ALS is a terrible disease.
Thoughts, prayers and strength to the Capel family.

Beautiful.

Never felt like the capel's were "dookies"

Thoughts and prayers. Hugs for my kids. And dad is getting a call early tomorrow.

Best wishes for the Capel family. Great read, hope my son someday feels the same way about me.

Very fitting that a future Duke and a future UNC player threw up on Wake's chances of landing Horry

That's one hell of an article. I hate all those guys a little less now.

Powerful stuff. Worth noting for Wake fans and not mentioned in the article, both Jeff III and Jason were ballboys for Wake during the Staak era.

Touching read. Thanks for posting! Sadly, I did not know the Capel connection to Wake. Staak era was really before my time.

Having lost my dad some years back now, I cried like a baby reading that article.

Best wishes to the Capels.

I played with and against Jeff, Jr. at a few HS camps. He was always a pretty solid guy.

I went to Staak's summer camp in 1986 and remember Coach Capel running the show. Jeff and Jason were campers...I wanna say Jeff was pretty pudgy at the time.

Jason went to Greensboro Day for two years while his dad was the coach at A&T. He was in my 8th Grade history class and was 6'6" in the 8th Grade! They are really nice people and I am very sad to hear about their father.

Back